Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Hey ;

Actually the title says all but I am still curious that when will be the factory unlocked Iphone 5's will hit the stores ?

Thanx

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I thought they said like after one month or 3 weeks after the Iphone 5 come out but the problem is no one says nothing :(

Not even rumors.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I thought they said like after one month or 3 weeks after the Iphone 5 come out but the problem is no one says nothing :(

Not even rumors.

They never said anything like that or gave any specific dates.
Your guess is as good as anyones.
Demand is still very high and people ordering carrier locked iphones still have to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.
So my guess is not any time soon unless they ramp up production and start meeting current demand.
Then they will start selling factory unlocked in the US.
They currently even stopped selling Sprint and Verizon full price iphones with no contract.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
1) Reserve at apple store at 10 pm for pickup the next day. Agree to the upgrade/new service.
2) show up and tell them you want to buy the phone you reserved "device only."
3) they will cancel your purchase and new contract and sell it to to you at full retail, no contract
4) when you get home and plug it into iTunes, you'll get a message that it's been unlocked.

This is what I did. Very easy. Enjoy!

Dragunov

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
Lol, dude you can't reserve a phone without an existing contract or wanting to sign one up..

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
1) Reserve at apple store at 10 pm for pickup the next day. Agree to the upgrade/new service.
2) show up and tell them you want to buy the phone you reserved "device only."
3) they will cancel your purchase and new contract and sell it to to you at full retail, no contract
4) when you get home and plug it into iTunes, you'll get a message that it's been unlocked.

This is what I did. Very easy. Enjoy!

This. "Device Only" is the magic term

hughiee

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
For "device only", are you referring to the AT&T iPhone 5 or the Verizon/Sprint model? Thank you in advance.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
I am in the same boat trying to get an unlocked iPhone 5 to be used on Tmo.

I am thinking of signing a contract with AT&T and pay $199 for the new phone and pay the ETF of $325 to ATT. My question is will ATT unlock my phone once I pay my ETF and am off contract with them?

Thanks for your reply.

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona

I am thinking of signing a contract with AT&T and pay $199 for the new phone and pay the ETF of $325 to ATT. My question is will ATT unlock my phone once I pay my ETF and am off contract with them?

Thanks for your reply.

eBay unlocks are only $5. You'd still be ahead.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I heard a rumour about unlocked ones that will be avaible at 16th of november.In the other forum ı double checked it and it seems true.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for your reply.

If you pay full price for an AT&T iPhone 5 at the Apple Store, it will unlock when you restore it in iTunes. You can then use it on T-Mobile. That is what I did.

Also, all Verizon iPhone 5's are unlocked. This is for full price or subsidized. That is an option as well.

----------

I heard a rumour about unlocked ones that will be avaible at 16th of november.In the other forum ı double checked it and it seems true.

I'm not sure if this will happen due to the extreme shortage of iPhone 5's right now. This could delay it.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Ok. I ordered it last night and went in this morning. The apple genius said I cannot buy "Device Only" option on AT&T.

I don't want to be an AT&T customer.

The device is still reserved and I can still pick up by signing the contract. Does anyone know if I sign a contract with AT&T and break it after 15 days (their return period) and pay ETF's, do they unlock my iPhone?

I know I have to pay almost the same amount I guess
$199 + $325 for ETF + may be some other charges that I might have incurred during the 15 days + activation fees of $36 = $560.

The big question is does at&t unlock my iPhone when I pay them ETF?

All of your feedback will help me to pick or not the currently reserved iPhone on my name.
Fingers crossed..

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
ATT will unlock if you pay ETF but keep in mind you're paying for prorated voice and data (potentially 1.5 months worth depending on when your billing cycle starts, ~$100) and there will be tax on the ETF as well.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Just buy the AT&T full price or the Verizon one (depending on where you intend to use it and if you want LTE). I am using a AT&T I purchased device only a month ago in the USA and I am using in Mexico, I just put my SIM card and it was ready.

A friend of mine just did the same last Sunday, and he phone activated Flawlessly with the Mexican SIM Cards

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Just buy the AT&T full price or the Verizon one (depending on where you intend to use it and if you want LTE). I am using a AT&T I purchased device only a month ago in the USA and I am using in Mexico, I just put my SIM card and it was ready.

A friend of mine just did the same last Sunday, and he phone activated Flawlessly with the Mexican SIM Cards

The genius said that I cannot buy "Device Only". Should I ask him that I want to buy full price? I am afraid buying full price will put me on AT&T's customer list which I want to avoid or keep it as a last option. I am currently a Tmo customer.

serkan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Well we have to say that some people (including me) dont want to buy an Iphone 5 with At&t or Verizon . I want to buy it from factory unlocked.I know that is all same with att and verizon but ı dont want it so I will go with the unlocked ones.

I remember that I heard this rumor from this forum but cant find it now.

And can we say that at Apple right now at this gifting stuff is happening so the ıphone 5 is not including in this because they dont have unlocked ones so can we say that Apple is not planning to put the unlocked ones for this year or gifting season ?

papaalex

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
TX
If you pay full price for an AT&T iPhone 5 at the Apple Store, it will unlock when you restore it in iTunes. You can then use it on T-Mobile. That is what I did.

----------

I can confirm this one, I went to two apple stores here in Houston (Galleria and Willowbrook) I tried asking the rep if they sell AT&T iphone 5 device only without contract. He said they could but I am limited to buy only 2 units and I have to pay the full price each of $749 + tax 8.25% for 32 gig. No problem I said, I ended up getting it on Willowbrook branch after I was undecided initially at Galleria branch.
I could not wait for the unlocked Iphone 5 to come out officially and decided that if this is still locked to ATT network I can always return it back and wait for the unlocked one.
Hooked it to Itunes and after restoring it got the UNLOCKED message. Placed my tmobile nano sim and it worked... Still on EDGE though but patiently awaiting for tmobiles refarm..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.