Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
This spells trouble for Apple. You can get a Nexus 4 16gb + a Nexus 10 16gb - both products which have superior hardware specs than the iphone 5 and ipad - for the same price as an iphone 5 32gb.

Apple is pricing for profitability (i.e. leech the customers dry) while LG/Samsung/Google is pricing for market share.

Discuss.

Jon

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Shhhh.... Logic is not allowed on this forum, unless it is pro Apple. Really, the Nexus 4 is nice, but it is absolutely absurd that it doesn't include LTE support. Google could have sold far more had they included it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For me though, it doesn't have iOS which is what I prefer. Unfortunately, we have to pay much too high of a premium for that.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Just use an Apple iOS clone skin for the Android. Then you can have the look and feel for nothing extra.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Last I checked, Apple has fought off bargain basement alternatives since the 80's. How is this anything new?

You read it often enough in the PC sphere, only iOS products are more cost accessible so the cheaper alternatives will have an even harder time against Apple.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Shhhh.... Logic is not allowed on this forum, unless it is pro Apple. Really, the Nexus 4 is nice, but it is absolutely absurd that it doesn't include LTE support. Google could have sold far more had they included it.
I completely agree that LTE would have sold more units, but for me it's not a big deal. My brother has a grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon's LTE, and clearly he'd have no reason to get this, but I'd be fine with it.

However, as much as I love my Nexus 7, I'm not yet ready to switch from iOS for my phone. Maybe i will be soon, maybe I never will be. But for those who want an Android phone, the 4 is amazing, especially for the unlocked price.

----------

Last I checked, Apple has fought off bargain basement alternatives since the 80's. How is this anything new?

You read it often enough in the PC sphere, only iOS products are more cost accessible so the cheaper alternatives will have an even harder time against Apple.
That really doesn't explain the dominance of Android smartphones. Apple's profits are better, and for Apple, that's great, but it's hard to argue that "cheaper alternatives will have an even harder time against Apple" when they are, in fact, outnumbering iOS devices by a large margin.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I would have no issues buying an android phone as they seem to have matured so fast and really come toe to toe or even surpass competitors.

However, i consider a tablet to be a productive tool than just a browser/movie viewer and that is where ipads win. And that is where win RT/pro will win too in the future. I simply cannot justify buying a cheap nexus or another tablet at all.

Things like paper, goodreader, many professional apps for medical and engineering etc. Despite android being "techy", developers target small audiences using an ipad instead of an android tablet in my experience.

I remember using adobe PDF suite on my S3 in the past and how excruciating it was, took 5 seconds just to load up my paltry collection of about 15 documents i had loaded onto the phone and then lacked many features for which i had to get yet another app to fill the void too.

Then recently i tested the "iOS is too limited" hypothesis by loading up our technical manuals and other docs on to the iPhone and sharing them between apps, dropbox and goodreader (goodreader pretty much covers everything, so i don't even consider another app lol), and the experience was not as appalling as i thought it would be. Stuff being edited on goodreader showed up on my PC without hesitation thanks to the integration of dropbox, the app, and the PC (although goodreader alone can upload and share to many configurations).

Windows tablets have more potential to capture the software niche and indie space IMO. I would say Apple should be worried about MS in the future considering how well the RT tabs are being received, if they had all those ipad type quality apps there already, consider how much better they would be already than android tablets.

At least in phone space android is doing fine because anything other than music, some browsing, casual gaming, social stuff and calling etc is terrible on such a small screen and the above are all taken care of by the phones fine.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
@sentinelsx, I agree with much of what you say and Microsoft has done a great job with advertising their new swish Surface proposition.

Yes, for me too a tablet should be more productive. But this is where we differ. Because the Android tablets are more customisable, I can set them up in a way that it is more productive for me. e.g. homescreens for different purposes such as work, home, finance, games, etc. Or, even use the new Profiles with one for work, another for leisure and so on.

The iPad has a head start in apps, granted. However, I predict a huge surge of Android tablet apps bursting onto the market as developers seek to take advantage of the current void in that area. Less competition means potential to make more money. Watched it happen.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I'm actually very happy that they didn't included LTE. Here in Europe it's a big mess, there's no real standard on LTE, so it only works in some countries.

So to have a functionality that I cannot use just to chew on battery? No thanks

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
@sentinelsx, I agree with much of what you say and Microsoft has done a great job with advertising their new swish Surface proposition.

Yes, for me too a tablet should be more productive. But this is where we differ. Because the Android tablets are more customisable, I can set them up in a way that it is more productive for me. e.g. homescreens for different purposes such as work, home, finance, games, etc. Or, even use the new Profiles with one for work, another for leisure and so on.

The iPad has a head start in apps, granted. However, I predict a huge surge of Android tablet apps bursting onto the market as developers seek to take advantage of the current void in that area. Less competition means potential to make more money. Watched it happen.

Yeah but customization is more about making it pretty than productive IMO. My windows PC is hardly customized (choosing a different wallpaper every few months) despite tons of customization tools available on windows since windows 98.

When i spend 99% of my time doing something in an app, i hardly care about whether my home screen style is customized or not :)

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Yeah but customization is more about making it pretty than productive IMO. My windows PC is hardly customized (choosing a different wallpaper every few months) despite tons of customization tools available on windows since windows 98.

When i spend 99% of my time doing something in an app, i hardly care about whether my home screen style is customized or not :)

i am not using any customization either. I don't even use widgets. Whenever I get a notification I just read it on the spot or i click on it and it will open the app for me.

I am annoyed that there are hardly any games for android. not as much as on the iPhone

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How is Dropbox integrated with iOS? I find it to be a hassle. I open up a PDF on the web, then open it up in adobe then finally I have the option to save it to drop box. I still haven't found a way to save it locally.

Then the lack of USB hosting hurts me even further. I can't save it to a flash drive nor can I plug in a mouse to my iPad to use it like a PC/Mac. My iPhone ends up being a middle man, a means to an end really.

I use my iPad for browsing the web and games. I use my Android tablet as a file system with hundreds of PDF's I use for schematics.

I know a lot of companies have proprietary apps for business use and that's great but the company I work for doesn't and the trivial stuff really isn't that trivial. My gf uses an iPad as a nurse but that's it, she has no use for those apps once she's off. She uses the iPad 3 I gifted to her to browse the web and social networking.

Back on topic. I think it's an excellent deal. After getting used to Apples prices its mind blowing to see prices from the real world. In my usage I don't find Android to be inferior so it makes Apple devices look out of sight, just like a Mac vs a PC.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Nexus is really expensive over here in Scandinavia :/

How is Dropbox integrated with iOS? I find it to be a hassle. I open up a PDF on the web, then open it up in adobe then finally I have the option to save it to drop box. I still haven't found a way to save it locally.
If you open a PDF in Safari on iOS you have the option to send it to Dropbox. In Dropbox you can mark it as a "favourite" which downloads it locally. If you don't have Dropbox you can save it locally to any other PDF viewer, e.g. iBooks.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada

I know what you mean... but at the same time its a great phone for $299. Unlocked!

Its missing features yes.. but for someone that doesn't want to be tied down its great.

I was very surprised by that move

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That really doesn't explain the dominance of Android smartphones.

About as irrelevant as generic laptop Windows sales x vs Apple laptop sales.

There's always been cheaper alternatives. Who cares? Sometimes vastly cheaper in fact. It's never mattered before and it doesn't matter now, even if nexus is printed on it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
About as irrelevant as generic laptop Windows sales x vs Apple laptop sales.

There's always been cheaper alternatives. Who cares? Sometimes vastly cheaper in fact. It's never mattered before and it doesn't matter now, even if nexus is printed on it.
It's relevant because those cheaper alternatives are arguably as good. Generic Windows systems with bloatware are not analogous to a Nexus device running pure Jelly Bean. If you are not a mobile gamer - and the vast majority of phone buyers aren't - then the advantages of iOS over Android are growing slimmer each passing month, and the cost differential is less and less defensible.

A PC equivalent to my MacBook Air (or Pro) is going to cost as much or more and will run an OS that's not as well integrated. On the other hand, a phone equivalent to the iPhone 5 costs less and runs an OS that is in ways preferable.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I know what you mean... but at the same time its a great phone for $299. Unlocked!

Its missing features yes.. but for someone that doesn't want to be tied down its great.

I was very surprised by that move

It's a nice phone, but it not exactly revolutionary. I purchased my HTC Evo 3D off contract on Virgin Mobile several months ago for $299, and while it doesn't have a quad core CPU or 2GB RAM, it does have 4G WiMax support, a 3D screen, an FM radio, a SD slot, and a few other goodies. People who wanted a high end phone off contract could have already gone for that or other alternatives such as the GSII on Boost, so i'm not really sure who the Nexus is geared towards. Techy people will be disappointed with no LTE, and smart contract free people or other "cheapos" likely already purchased another handset.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
It's a nice phone, but it not exactly revolutionary. I purchased my HTC Evo 3D off contract on Virgin Mobile several months ago for $299, and while it doesn't have a quad core CPU or 2GB RAM, it does have 4G WiMax support, a 3D screen, an FM radio, a SD slot, and a few other goodies. People who wanted a high end phone off contract could have already gone for that or other alternatives such as the GSII on Boost, so i'm not really sure who the Nexus is geared towards. Techy people will be disappointed with no LTE, and smart contract free people or other "cheapos" likely already purchased another handset.

LTE doesn't matter to me especially with AT&T. I have unlimited data and they've been throttling users since last year after they used 2GB of data. I have to use a different apn to avoid being throttled.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah but customization is more about making it pretty than productive IMO.

I disagree. Customization is so much more than just aesthetics.

Customizing what lock screen shows when you wake your device, what information is on your home screen, what keyboard you want to use, what browser launches when you click a link, etc... all go a long way in making the device 100% catered to you and your needs, not just in looks, but in usability.

It makes the device uniquely yours.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
It's amazing to step back and look at just how much of a premium people are paying just for the OS. I think some people don't even want to give Android a chance because then they'll have to admit that over paid for an Apple product. Nobody likes to admit they were taken for a ride. Yes there once was a time that Google and Android were nowhere close to Apple but they have come a long way through trial and error. In my opinion Android has finally matured and the price difference is just too much to pass up.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

Customizing what lock screen shows when you wake your device, what information is on your home screen, what keyboard you want to use, what browser launches when you click a link, etc... all go a long way in making the device 100% catered to you and your needs, not just in looks, but in usability.

Exactly. It's not a matter of endlessly tweaking screen savers and icons for me - it's having the device learn what I like over time, and me being able to make changes to better suit how I want to work. It's a lot like a jailbroken iPhone in that sense (which is why my iPhone is jailbroken), but without the need to jailbreak.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Well the lock screen should show me notifications, and thankfully iOS does it as well as windows phone 8 (and 7 and 7.5 :p)

Home screen, same thing. My devices have always been grids of icons irrespective of OS because neither of them has live icons or another better way of managing content. Widgets are cool but once i realize i always press on the widget to enter the app because the widget fails to be productive, they are deleted, and has happened with all widgets so far. This is where WP7/8 shines and takes the cake IMO. Not only live tiles serve as icons, but the unique way in which they show information is more useful especially when all third party developers take advantage of it.

Not sure about the browser thing here as i don't see how safari on iOS is that bad. Both chrome and atomic on my iOS device are showing the new band on the icons for the last three weeks lol. On android i always preferred the stock browser too (samsung's devices always have a better browser than many others for some reason) so i guess i am not the target here.

And lastly for making my device unique, it would matter to me if it was a collector's item, not a work tool. I cringe everytime i see badly done UIs or those hideous cases on phones (doesn't matter whichever) which completely negates why i even bought the device in the first place.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Well the lock screen should show me notifications, and thankfully iOS does it as well as windows phone 8 (and 7 and 7.5 :p)

Home screen, same thing. My devices have always been grids of icons irrespective of OS because neither of them has live icons or another better way of managing content. Widgets are cool but once i realize i always press on the widget to enter the app because the widget fails to be productive, they are deleted, and has happened with all widgets so far. This is where WP7/8 shines and takes the cake IMO. Not only live tiles serve as icons, but the unique way in which they show information is more useful especially when all third party developers take advantage of it.

Not sure about the browser thing here as i don't see how safari on iOS is that bad. Both chrome and atomic on my iOS device are showing the new band on the icons for the last three weeks lol. On android i always preferred the stock browser too (samsung's devices always have a better browser than many others for some reason) so i guess i am not the target here.

And lastly for making my device unique, it would matter to me if it was a collector's item, not a work tool. I cringe everytime i see badly done UIs or those hideous cases on phones (doesn't matter whichever) which completely negates why i even bought the device in the first place.

You're describing precisely the freedom that is missing from ios.

Those additional features and options don't work for you. They may work for others. You have the choice to not use them. Others who find benefits have the choice to use them.

Isn't freedom of choice a beautiful thing.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
You're describing precisely the freedom that is missing from ios.

Those additional features and options don't work for you. They may work for others. You have the choice to not use them. Others who find benefits have the choice to use them.

Isn't freedom of choice a beautiful thing.

Well where is my freedom of choice to use all the awesome and productive apps i need and want to use on android then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.