Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

South Carolina-based Twelve South has released a new adjustable desktop stand designed to compliment Apple's sleek aluminum notebooks. The HiRise for MacBook stand elevates the notebook from a few inches to half a foot off the desk, while staying nearly invisible.

TwelveSouth sells a riser for the iMac as well, also called the HiRise.

NewImage.png
Twelve South's HiRise for MacBook is the only height-adjustable desktop stand that lets you turn your notebook into a comfortable desktop. Unlike a fixed stand, HiRise lets you elevate your MacBook to your most comfortable viewing height, from a few inches to half a foot off your desk. The sturdy, brushed metal stand is designed to work with MacBooks--and people--of all sizes.
HiRise for MacBook is available for $70 on the Twelve South website and Apple's online and retail stores.

Article Link: Twelve South Releases New MacBook Desktop Stand

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Sold

I'm buying it.

I've chatted with the owner Andrew and he's a standup guy. I love that he is as uncompromising as Apple when it comes to design.

Plus he's Mac only. I'll support him..even if that means paying a slight premium.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Sold

I'm buying it.

I've chatted with the owner Andrew and he's a standup guy. I love that he is as uncompromising as Apple when it comes to design.

Plus he's Mac only. I'll support him..even if that means paying a slight premium.

Nice try Andrew.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Nice try Andrew.

LOL

I wish I had his design skills.

He said he worked on this HiRise product for years. I was getting ready to buy the Belkin Loft which is $59

372.jpg

But who wouldn't pay a bit more for the HiRise that is adjustable height and better looking?

----------

The Macbook doesn't feel secured...

The contact surface has a rubber looking lining. It shouldn't slip

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I really like Twelve South products. Great designs.

$70? Not for me ... but if there wasn't a market for it, they wouldn't be selling them at that price.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I bought an mStand from Rain Design for my 15" Retina. The height is good, but the angle was too shallow to be able to use a bluetooth keyboard underneath it without my hands hitting it. So I just put it flat on the floor, stood on the bottom of the stand with my feet, and pulled up on the top with my hands in small, quick motions until it was tall enough. I was careful, so it's level and bent evenly. I freaking love that stand, and it's $45 on Amazon. So if you want a good looking stand, don't need adjustable height, and want to save some money, I recommend the mStand. And if you don't mind bending it a little (which it doesn't bend easily, but worked fine in my case), then you can use it with a keyboard underneath so you can be close to that beautiful retina screen.

Redbeard25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2003
Don't tell anyone... I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop stand for my 15" Mac Book Pro. Works great, built like a tank.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=895

Now someone build me a mag-safe dock for the four cords I have to plug and unplug all the time.. I tried a Henge dock, but it a) wouldn't align with my Apple-mis-aligned displayport port and b) wouldn't let me hold the cover open to use as a second screen. I'm thinking *maybe* sugru.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
X-Stand Pro by 12 South

I have the X-Stand Pro. The High Rise is a spinoff, not much difference between the two. I like the X-Stand better because it comes with a shorten extender which allows easy typing with your palms resting comfortably on the Macbook. It looks sharp though.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Is there a picture of it without a Macbook on top? I'd like to see how much desk space it takes up when I am not using it...

I have the BookArc right now and it is great for my MBA 11", but at some point I may upgrade to the retina MBP and would not want to waste the screen in clamshell mode.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Is there a picture of it without a Macbook on top? I'd like to see how much desk space it takes up when I am not using it...

I have the BookArc right now and it is great for my MBA 11", but at some point I may upgrade to the retina MBP and would not want to waste the screen in clamshell mode.

Here, top left.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hah... $70 is too steep? Based on what? That 70 is a bigger number than ten? Some of you really have no idea how much it costs to produce short run products like this.

$70 is steep... in our industry, we make products of similar materials and processes, but you'd be lucky to get a quote under $300 per for something like this. Imagine $100,000 min tool & die cost, + a few weeks of prototyping at $180/hr, +...

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
I bought an mStand from Rain Design for my 15" Retina. The height is good, but the angle was too shallow to be able to use a bluetooth keyboard underneath it without my hands hitting it.

You do realize that the space underneath is for storing the keyboard? When you are typing just pull the keyboard forward.

In my case I just use the keyboard on the Macbook when it's on the stand. But that's probably not very comfortable for a lot of folk.

waqas

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
No offence, but I don't think buying such an accessory has anything more to offer than a simple design aesthetic. I can't deny it looks cool though. :)

I could acheive something similar by using a pile of books over which to place my mac, no?

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
No offence, but I don't think buying such an accessory has anything more to offer than a simple design aesthetic. I can't deny it looks cool though. :)

I could acheive something similar by using a pile of books over which to place my mac, no?

Not entirely the same effect though! I think it's well priced as here in the UK, the mstand is availed at a similar price point.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012

I have a home office. I am very organized and I put a lot of planning and thought into how I wanted my desk and the room to appear. Aesthetics were important to me. That is why I bought the X-Stand Pro and, to a large extent, why I bought the MBP. Yeah, I paid the premium for the stand, but the way I looked at it, it will last a very long time. I might as well buy what I like as opposed to settling for something less. Books or a cement block would not work for me. A benefit of having a stand like the X-Pro or the Hi-Rise is it allows air to pass underneath. This helps with cooling when running cpu intense programs.

waqas

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
A benefit of having a stand like the X-Pro or the Hi-Rise is it allows air to pass underneath. This helps with cooling when running cpu intense programs.

Now this above seems a better reason.

A pile of books won't give you the space underneath as you said ... :)

Aesthetics are important to some ... True.

It'd be cool though if Twelve South came up with a stand that looked like stacked books (like their BookBook and other sleeves), but at the same time it was adjustable. Would eliminate the point of it though (no space and air flow issues).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.