Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone5mod is continuing its rapid pace of development on unauthorized Lightning-compatible accessories today, introducing a new direct plug 30-pin dock connector adapter and a Lightning to micro-USB adapter.

iphone5mod_30_pin_adapters.jpg
Both of these products are substitutes for official Apple products, with iPhone5mod's 30-pin adapter available in both black and white and priced at $15.90, compared to Apple's official $29 adapter available only in white. iPhone5mod's Lightning-to-USB adapter is priced at $9.90 and is the equivalent of Apple's official adapter sold in European countries.

iphone5mod_micro_usb_adapter.jpg
iPhone5mod is also offering a 2-in-1 kit with both of the new adapters for $24.90. Shipping to the United States is $4 per item or kit, and orders should begin shipping in 2-3 weeks.

With Apple still yet to allow third-party accessory manufacturers to officially support the new Lightning standard, consumers are in many cases turning to unofficial sources for accessories that are either unavailable as authorized products or available at much higher prices from Apple. There have been questions about the quality of many of these unauthorized accessories, but some users are willing to take chances on products for which official alternatives do not yet exist or which carry significantly higher pricing.

Article Link: Unofficial 30-Pin Dock Connector and Micro-USB Lightning Adapters Coming Soon

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Good on em if it works! Apple were very late at getting their 3rd party stuff sorted out with the new lightning port.

Very poor work from Apple and they absolutely deserve to have someone undercut them at the prices they are asking for the cables.

----------

wow, those things already look bent and dinged up.

I think its just a different construction. The Apple one's are a solid piece of metal, these seem to be a few parts as I guess it's cheaper.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
With the lightning connector being so advanced... I wonder if apple is able to disable or break compatibility with an software update.

bazaarsoft

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2005
Ummm

Seems super silly to risk frying your brand new iDevice just to save a couple of dollars on an adaptor...

:confused:

ALCRON

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Alestia
Oh, "unofficial". I was truly hoping it was "official" instead. :(
Well, before I saw the pictures of course.

Last edited:

Hidesuru

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Seems super silly to risk frying your brand new iDevice just to save a couple of dollars on an adaptor...

:confused:

There shouldn't be any risk of damage to the device. I'm an electrical engineer and it's quite easy to put in protection against over-current / over-voltage situations into a circuit. Given that the pins are all dynamically assigned in this interface, I am certain that they have all these protections in place in case something were ever to go wrong, even with official accessories.

Also $15 -per device- is hardly chump change, particularly if you want several. I bought the 32GB model so I paid ~$300. That was already so much I almost didn't get an iPhone (been an avid droid fan for years, but getting tired of a laggy UI so I thought I'd give the iPhone a try, and love it btw). At any rate, increasing the cost of the phone by a significant percentage by buying very pricey accessories doesn't make sense to me personally when cheaper options like this are out there.

Now, I am certain that the Apple products will be better built. No doubt. However, for many of these items I don't need it to be built like a tank so having another option is good. Also, competition forces any company to keep prices down as much as possible, so I argue that's a good thing as well.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Cheers.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I know some of these are to compete with accessories Apple has already released and some are ones Apple would never release. I would be happy to pay Apple more money for ones they carry as these 3rd party ones are horrible quality from the pics.

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
I guess that since they're the only ones currently making these knockoff adapters is the reason that they're able to charge $15 for the thing. If I was going to pay that much for it I might as well pay a little more and get the real thing.

I'll be waiting for the 99c adapters from Hong Kong's eBay stores...

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Wow, the quality looks to be so bad... I'd never buy that, especially for 2/3rd of Apple's official price.

Last edited:

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I would actually prefer the Chinaman knockoff. It looks considerably smaller than Apple's adapter. Who cares if it isn't shiny. Lulz.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
These look pretty bad.

The Lightning side of the two 30 pin adapters have slightly different thicknesses below the white 8 pins

The Lightning side of the microUSB adapter is both crooked in the last photo as well as the leading metal edge above the 8 pins.

Well, those of you brave enough to use them, let the rest of us know how it goes after a month, yeah?

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Apple's official adapter (that you can buy in Europe) is at least as small, if not smaller.

imageuqj.jpg

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
These connectors look pretty poor quality and are still quite expensive, probably best to wait or stump up the extra few dollars and get an Apple one.

----------

I would actually prefer the Chinaman knockoff. It looks considerably smaller than Apple's adapter. Who cares if it isn't shiny. Lulz.

This looks the same as the Apple micro USB connector supplied in Europe, in fact the apple one maybe slightly smaller.

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
These connectors look pretty poor quality and are still quite expensive, probably best to wait or stump up the extra few dollars and get an Apple one.

----------

This looks the same as the Apple micro USB connector supplied in Europe, in fact the apple one maybe slightly smaller.

Oh, I'm definitely waiting for cheaper. I'm in no hurry. My i5's battery doesn't need car charging like my i4S.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
There shouldn't be any risk of damage to the device. I'm an electrical engineer and it's quite easy to put in protection against over-current / over-voltage situations into a circuit. Given that the pins are all dynamically assigned in this interface, I am certain that they have all these protections in place in case something were ever to go wrong, even with official accessories.

Agreed.
Also work with electronics, and today's electronics are more then cable to handling 5v, 1A power in the wrong place.
We make mistakes all time, but rarely fry something.

Hidesuru

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Agreed.
Also work with electronics, and today's electronics are more then cable to handling 5v, 1A power in the wrong place.
We make mistakes all time, but rarely fry something.

And thank god for that! ;-)

A toast to all the engineers out there who make quality products, such as the ones Apple (usually) makes.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
iPhone5mod is my HERO!

Sure they don't look great, but that they are providing what Apple is not, or expensive!

iPhone5mod is probably just buying this stuff on ebay and reselling it. The iPhone 5 docks I see on iPhone5mod are identical to the ones on eBay, buy they're roughly $10 less on eBay.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
iPhone5mod is probably just buying this stuff on ebay and reselling it. The iPhone 5 docks I see on iPhone5mod are identical to the ones on eBay, buy they're roughly $10 less on eBay.

More likely getting directly from the same vendor, and selling for more. :)

Difference is they look to make a full website and more advertising.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Wow, the quality looks to be so bad... I'd never buy that, especially for 2/3rd of Apple's official price.

Yeah, maybe at $2.99. The micro-USB one looks disposable: Its price should match.

... I don't need it to be built like a tank ...

With the daily connection and disconnection this item gets, plus the sideways stress when folks use the phone while charging, I do want it built like a tank.

With the lightning connector being so advanced... I wonder if apple is able to disable or break compatibility with an software update.

No worries, a whole "jailbreak-your-connector" industry will spring up. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.