Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Has the 4s moved to 32nm? I havent heard that.

Apple probably still has some stock of 45nm A5s left, so the iPhone 4S is a way to get rid of those. I wouldn't be surprised to see a switch to 32nm A5R2s in the 4S once they run out of stock, similar to what happened with the iPad 2.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I think people misunderstand memory. As long as the developer uses and release memory as and when needed, 512MB is fine. Of course it's always nice to have more memory but ultimately only if you have a number of apps open which of course the iPad doesn't do the same way as a standard desktop/laptop.

Yes thats fine for now, but whos to say future apps wnt use more memory. 512mb IS NOT the future. Heck even my phone has 2gig.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
I think people misunderstand memory. As long as the developer uses and release memory as and when needed, 512MB is fine. Of course it's always nice to have more memory but ultimately only if you have a number of apps open which of course the iPad doesn't do the same way as a standard desktop/laptop.

That isn't my point. Sure 512 is enough... but it's still an obsolete amount for a tablet released a day ago. If the mini had Microsoft or Google attached to it then folks around here would have been laughing as soon as the price was released to the public.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Yes thats fine for now, but whos to say future apps wnt use more memory. 512mb IS NOT the future. Heck even my phone has 2gig.

That's a ridiculous thing to say because essentially 1GB IS NOT the future, neither is 2GB neither is 3GB...see where I'm going with this?!

----------

If the mini had Microsoft or Google attached to it then folks around here would have been laughing as soon as the price was released to the public.

I guess that depends whether the people you're referring to are spec junkies and they fully understand how memory works or not as the case is normally.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
That isn't my point. Sure 512 is enough... but it's still an obsolete amount for a tablet released a day ago. If the mini had Microsoft or Google attached to it then folks around here would have been laughing as soon as the price was released to the public.

That's because Android/Windows RT are known to take way more RAM because of how their multitasking work, as well as having way more interactive stuff on the homescreen and poorer optimization.

The number of tablet-optimised apps on an iPad mini is also way higher than the competition.

Of course having 512MB of RAM on a $329 Android/Microsoft tablet would suck, but it doesn't only have to do with the brand attached to it.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008

It's not just apps...
When 50% of a web page loads up blank on my 512mb ipad 2 whilst my 1gb iPad 3 can load it completely let's me know that 512mb is already woefully inadequate for a winter 2012 device.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
That's a ridiculous thing to say because essentially 1GB IS NOT the future, neither is 2GB neither is 3GB...see where I'm going with this?!

Yes I see whereyou are going, but if i buy an ipad (which I have) i expectit to last a few years, i dont buy a new one every year I have no need to. All im talking about is the near future like 1, 2 years. And no i would not buy an ipad mini with 512mb ram.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
It's not just apps...
When 50% of a web page loads up blank on my 512mb ipad 2 whilst my 1gb iPad 3 can load it completely let's me know that 512mb is already woefully inadequate for a winter 2012 device.

That is not related to memory.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
apple really needs Samsung's expertise. For all the bitching and moaning by some that they would never buy a Samsung product, because Samsung is some sort of evil incarnate of a company,

Ha. So you acknowledge Samsung isn't exactly a saint - actually they are a pretty corrupt bunch.

and for all the prognostications that Apple will drop Samsung and somehow leave them high and dry, it seems that Apple needs Samsung. Without Samsung, Apple would be in big trouble.

For now. No worries, the transition away from Samsung will be complete sooner or later.

Nobody has the expertise of Samsung. Nobody compares.

LOL. Tell that to TSMC and Digital Foundries. You are really over-estimating Samsung here.

Last edited:

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Yes I see whereyou are going, but if i buy an ipad (which I have) i expectit to last a few years, i dont buy a new one every year I have no need to. All im talking about is the near future like 1, 2 years. And no i would not buy an ipad mini with 512mb ram.

I would agree with your point of view if you're looking to keep your iPad for a number of years. I wasn't suggesting you would buy an iPad Mini....

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
For what, most pointless comment of the thread?

Hahaha, well Nick, you've probably got that right. :)

My comment was just a joke on there being a product with max specs ... it's the 4th gen. The Mini seems to be a blend of size plus cost conscious specs - that makes a lot of sense for the market they're pursuing in the short term (that I still believe is more driven by price vs. size).

At some point, there will be the market for size as the primary driver, i.e., a Mini sized tablet that's within $30-50 of the 4th gen price - that's when we'll see a no-price-concern Mini with the an A6 derivative (maybe even the next gen), retina, etc.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I have a friend who indicated they would buy today, a Mini form factor, with 4th gen specs for the same price at the 4th gen.

Peace out! :cool:

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I can't believe people are buying the mini at this price point. It's already obsolete. I give it 3 months and we're going to start seeing people talk about how there mini is so sluggish.

Why would this be? My wife has had her iPad2 since launch day and it hasn't become sluggish in that year and a half time span. Why would the mini suddenly become slow after 90 days of usage?

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
It's not just apps...

Yep. That's all I'm saying. For a tab that was released this week it is a disgrace to only have an A5 chip and 512 of memory. If it were 2010 then I probably wouldn't have an issue with it. This is nothing more than a cash grab by Apple. Those trying to justify it by telling others they don't know how iOS uses system memory is a joke.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
I can't believe people are buying the mini at this price point.

The mini is effectively a shrunk down iPad 2 and about at the same price. The iPad 2 is still selling for some reason, don't see why the smaller, lighter and cheaper mini won't.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Yep. That's all I'm saying. For a tab that was released this week it is a disgrace to only have an A5 chip and 512 of memory. If it were 2010 then I probably wouldn't have an issue with it. This is nothing more than a cash grab by Apple. Those trying to justify it by telling others they don't know how iOS uses system memory is a joke.

...and those making assumptions that an A5 and 512MB of memory is not enough is a joke. If you understood how iOS uses memory you wouldn't be making such comments.

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Nah..Apple will just make the masses mad again by Releasing IPad Mini RETINA in 6 months...lol!

I can't believe people are buying the mini at this price point. It's already obsolete. I give it 3 months and we're going to start seeing people talk about how there mini is so sluggish.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Nah..Apple will just make the masses mad again by Releasing IPad Mini RETINA in 6 months...lol!

Sure they will. Actually, they surely could have done it now. Cash grab...

----------

...and those making assumptions that an A5 and 512MB of memory is not enough is a joke. If you understood how iOS uses memory you wouldn't be making such comments.

Do you program iOS or, at least, did you read what programmers say about detecting memory full situations and acting on them? Then, you do know it's indeed a joke compared to OS'es with better memory / crash protection. A very bad one, no matter what some iFanboys say - people that have never tried to code, say, a multitab Web browser for iOS and, therefore, don't know much of ow iOS handles memory.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
apple really needs Samsung's expertise. For all the bitching and moaning by some that they would never buy a Samsung product, because Samsung is some sort of evil incarnate of a company, and for all the prognostications that Apple will drop Samsung and somehow leave them high and dry, it seems that Apple needs Samsung. Without Samsung, Apple would be in big trouble.

Samsung is a huge conglomerate. I would venture to say that most people are disenchanted with the consumer electronics division, not component manufacturing, which is an entirely different beast. That division actually does some really good work and is a part of the company that can innovate and deliver products in volumes needed by their customers. The CE division, however, is notorious for copying competitor's products and flooding the market with them.

Apple only needs Samsung at this point because that's who they chose to partner with years ago. Fab'ing SoCs is not a trivial process, it can take years to shift production to another company. It took Apple over two years to design the cores in the A6 and another year for Samsung to get the fabrication up to par to deliver yields Apple required.

Nobody has the expertise of Samsung. Nobody compares.

IBM, TSMC, TI, Intel, etc.

Apple could partner with any of these companies... It's not hard to imagine that Apple is already working with another company to 'tool up' for the A7, which would explain the amount of money they're spending on manufacturing.

Last edited:

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Sure they will. Actually, they surely could have done it now. Cash grab...

----------

Do you program iOS or, at least, did you read what programmers say about detecting memory full situations and acting on them? Then, you do know it's indeed a joke compared to OS'es with better memory / crash protection.

Yes I'm a developer and have a very good understanding of memory and that's why I'm debating the point. The only reason an app would crash is due to the developer misunderstanding memory management which causes all sorts of leaks or they have a particularly memory intensive app, and it's only the likes of EA who push memory to its limit.

All apps as time progresses will use more and more memory to create bigger and better apps but that will always be the case...it's never ending. But currently there isn't an issue and to suggest a web page uses half a gig of RAM is hilarious.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Hahaha, well Nick, you've probably got that right. :)

My comment was just a joke on there being a product with max specs ... it's the 4th gen. The Mini seems to be a blend of size plus cost conscious specs - that makes a lot of sense for the market they're pursuing in the short term (that I still believe is more driven by price vs. size).

At some point, there will be the market for size as the primary driver, i.e., a Mini sized tablet that's within $30-50 of the 4th gen price - that's when we'll see a no-price-concern Mini with the an A6 derivative (maybe even the next gen), retina, etc.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I have a friend who indicated they would buy today, a Mini form factor, with 4th gen specs for the same price at the 4th gen.

Peace out! :cool:

Apple is not the only company doing this, they all do, android, windows etc.. If you want the top of the range you have to buy the largest.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002

With mobile devices, it's not memory that becomes the bottle neck, it's more than likely the processing power that'll eventually hold you back.

My original iPad has a paltry 256MB. Is it a little slow? Of course, but it works and I still use it everyday.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That's because Android/Windows RT are known to take way more RAM because of how their multitasking work, as well as having way more interactive stuff on the homescreen and poorer optimization.

The number of tablet-optimised apps on an iPad mini is also way higher than the competition.

Of course having 512MB of RAM on a $329 Android/Microsoft tablet would suck, but it doesn't only have to do with the brand attached to it.

Source? Because everything I've read sure seems to state the opposite: Windows (all versions, WP, WinRT, and even Windows 8) is great on RAM usage, and especially on Windows Phone 7 where it'll run flawlessly with just 256mb's of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.