Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
I have no idea. Not sure how that works....

It does show a 3G indicator, and I can also use it for data via Wifi if that tells you anything

I'm techy with audio/video/graphics/computers/design & fabrication/automotive/electronics(circuitry etc), but not cellular

----------

Everyone knows the order of blame is Apple then Carrier. I have Verizon I have no such issue about the SIM not being installed.

I in no way intended to insinuate blame in any particular direction, nor do I believe I did so - I even mentioned I thought it was 'coincidental'

If anything - I would be more inclined to blame Sprint for an issue before Apple

I am very very satisfied with my Apple experiences overall, over the last 9 years, and that says a lot, as I have very little tolerance for issues

----------

About to backup, wipe, and restore, after I finish a few more business calls

Will report back

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I have no idea. Not sure how that works....

It does show a 3G indicator, and I can also use it for data via Wifi if that tells you anything

I'm techy with audio/video/graphics/computers/design & fabrication/automotive/electronics(circuitry etc), but not cellular

----------

I in no way intended to insinuate blame in any particular direction, nor do I believe I did so - I even mentioned I thought it was 'coincidental'

If anything - I would be more inclined to blame Sprint for an issue before Apple

I am very very satisfied with my Apple experiences overall, over the last 9 years, and that says a lot, as I have very little tolerance for issues

----------

About to backup, wipe, and restore, after I finish a few more business calls

Will report back

I wasn't referring to you.

Docba

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I don't care whose fault it is, but it is probably due to the update. My phone has worked fine since day 1 and now I update it to the latest firmware and 20 min later I get a sim failed error.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Backed up, erased, and restored. No luck

Edited:
Powered up at 8:42 and SIM Failure notice at 8:59
(I'm getting consistent SIM Failures at 17 Minutes)

I dunno... multiple users with the same issue.... seems like it very well may be software related.

Regardless, I will hit the Apple store tomorrow.

Oh well

Last edited:

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Backed up, erased, and restored. No luck

Powered up at 8:43 and SIM Failure notice at 8:59

I dunno... multiple users with the same issue.... seems like it very well may be software related.

Regardless, I will hit the Apple store tomorrow.

Oh well

As I said, you're better off going directly to a Sprint store and getting a new sim. Apple probably won't have one on hand and this is a sim issue (read: carrier).

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Did you try the "reset network settings" function in the "Settings" app?

Twice

Also did a ##update#

no luck

Googled the issue, and every result was indicating a bad SIM - although, they were posts for 4, 4S and 5 (Around October 8 for the 5) which did not correlate to an update

I would not really even consider the update being an issue if it weren't for a few of us with the same experience of updating, and then immediately having the issue

Too weird

Anyway, point of the post was to see if anyone else had this, which, some did - and as a heads up for others

beating a dead horse now. Hitting the GB tomorrow.... see what happens.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Its Sprint, they have not done anything right with the iPhone.
It doesnt surprise me that this is now happening as well. If you look at the support site at Sprint some people dont have consistent data speeds to even finish downloading the update, which I guess is a good thing reading this thread.

Mpiazzaedu

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Same problem , Sprint is the carrier , started happening with the ios 6.0.1 update. I also noticed that the battery is draining down very quickly. The phone works for about 15 mins and then I get the exact same errors as posted in posts 5,6,7 above. This sucks!!

I called Apple and Sprint with no resolve. Looks like I have to exchange the phone at Apple tomorrow when I pick the Mini and Ipad 4

I hope their is a better fix out there then an outright exchange.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
We t to sprint store. They reaced the SIM. So far I'm over 30 minutes along and no issues.
Had been happening every 17

I still think it was a software glitch creating some conflict with the existing SIM, since so many of us had this issue immediately following the update. I don't find it a coincidence. What are the chances so many of our SIMs failed right after. No.

So far I'm good. Will report back if I have any issues

Mpiazzaedu

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Just an update , I went to the Apple Store and they replaced the Sim and So Far no issues and it has been 1 hour. I will report back if the problem reappears.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
^ Nice! Glad you got it fixed (hopefully anyway). Its probably a weird conflict with the new update. Good that you didnt need to swap your phone though.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Twice

Also did a ##update#

no luck

Googled the issue, and every result was indicating a bad SIM - although, they were posts for 4, 4S and 5 (Around October 8 for the 5) which did not correlate to an update

I would not really even consider the update being an issue if it weren't for a few of us with the same experience of updating, and then immediately having the issue

Too weird

Anyway, point of the post was to see if anyone else had this, which, some did - and as a heads up for others

beating a dead horse now. Hitting the GB tomorrow.... see what happens.

so bizarre. glad they were able to get you a sim

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
We t to sprint store. They reaced the SIM. So far I'm over 30 minutes along and no issues.
Had been happening every 17

I still think it was a software glitch creating some conflict with the existing SIM, since so many of us had this issue immediately following the update. I don't find it a coincidence. What are the chances so many of our SIMs failed right after. No.

So far I'm good. Will report back if I have any issues

Good deal. I trust that the new SIM card is a definitive fix for you.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Well. Phone is working, but now having data issues... not getting cellular data again

Second new phone, and been having this issue off and on since day one

may go in for another NEW replacement again just to rule out the phone at this point

Wouldn't be the first time I got two dud brand new products. Gotta love todays electronics

Intermittent data connection, and .29 down, .39 up hahahahahaaaaaa. lovely

SIM issue IS resolved tho... (Definitely convinced it was an iOS conflict of whatever sort)

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Well. Phone is working, but now having data issues... not getting cellular data again

Second new phone, and been having this issue off and on since day one

may go in for another NEW replacement again just to rule out the phone at this point

Wouldn't be the first time I got two dud brand new products. Gotta love todays electronics

Intermittent data connection, and .29 down, .39 up hahahahahaaaaaa. lovely

SIM issue IS resolved tho... (Definitely convinced it was an iOS conflict of whatever sort)

Try resetting network settings to reset the cellular settings to account for the new sim.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
My guess the sim failure was related to all the issues people were having using the sprint version of the iphone in other countries. The sprint version would work fine with receiving calls and sending texts with other carrier sim cards, but people using the sprint phone were unable to receive text messages with other carrier sims. I would bet Apple fixed this problem with 6.0.1, but in doing so caused problems with the actual Sprint sim.

Docba

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Here is a temp fix: eject and remove the SIM card then reboot the phone. It will say No SIM in the corner and you can't see your signal quality but it still connects to Sprint. (Since sprint is CDMA and the SIM card is not really used).

Mr.Magius

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Is WiFi on? Turn it off

Try to power cycle your phone, turn off wi-fi and power-cycle again... wait and see if it fix the problem.

And after 30min turn your wifi on

mollipop

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
The 6.0.1 update also gave me an Invalid SIM on my iPhone 5. I wanted to check in here to let you guys know that the Apple Store switched out the phone and used the same SIM card, and when that didn't work, switched out the SIM card (in the new phone).

None of that worked.

I am going to Sprint tomorrow to see if they can fix this. Both the phone and the SIM card have been replaced, so it's either a network issue on Sprint's end, or a software issue.

mollipop

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Solved! On my end at least.

I called Sprint support last night and they activated my new SIM card on the network. It turns out at the Apple Store yesterday, they put in the new SIM card, but never activated it with Sprint.

Glad this is over.

gsoriano

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Having the same issue. Went Sprint they sent me to apple. Went to apple they replaced my phone and stopped working again. They tried 2 SIM cards and none worked. Called Sprint CS and don't know how to solve the problem. They asked me to wait 72hrs to see if it gets solve. WTH! I've tried everything. From soft reset to completed wipe out.

Gigglepearl

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Same issue

I have been getting the Sprint/Apple/Sprint runaround..today I spent an hr at Sprint, re-troubleshooting the same things. 6pm Apple appointment who told me that I need a new SIM. He then told me to go to the Sprint store. Sprint store talked to domestic and international tech support, they said its an Apple problem.

I called Apple, manager requested that a new phone be issued. The saga continues tomorrow....:confused:

nuni

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2014
Same issue - iphone 6/Verizon

Activated 2 iphones 6's yesterday on my Verizon account and had the same issues with both phones.

Phone #1 - invalid sim messages 3 times within 24 hours
Phone #2 - invalid sim messages every hour!

Called Verizon customer service who told us to reset network (in settings<general). Each time we were back on network, but phone #2 keeps getting bumped off. Called Verizon again and they suggested we pop out the Sim card and put it back it. Phones are working, for now.

Verizon also offered to mail us two new Sim cards free of charge (2 day delivery) or we could go to a Verizon corporate store and get new Sim cards. Will probably try to go later today and get it replaced, even though it seems to be working for now. Need reliable phone service for work.

Good luck to everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.