Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wflan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Just up and gone. It was in my /user/shared folder. Oddly, when I tried to launch Aperture from the dock, it gave me a ? icon over top. I was able to launch from spotlight just fine, and when it opened, it said that my library could not be found, asking if I'd like to locate one or make a new one.

I'm posting in this forum hoping that there is some sort of Terminal magic that could help. It SHOULD be in /Users/Billy/Public, as far as I recall.

Here's what I've done to try to fix it.

-Checked my Time Machine backup. Nada. The folder never shows a library in any of the backups.
-Searched for aperture and .aplib files. There are two other Aperture libraries, one is 1.7g and the other is 600k. These don't change over time in my Time machine backups.
-looked in Terminal (which I suck at, I basically just know cd and ls -a) for any hidden files in the Shared folder. Nothing Aperture related.
-wept quietly
-searched my entire system for any files over a gig. No libraries.

I have a really old vault, but it's on a RAID drive that filled up. I've been meaning to buy new drives for it, but haven't gotten them yet. I stand to lose about 12,000 pictures :(

PLEASE let me know if you think there's a recovery method, piece of software, etc. that might help me. I'm really in dire straights here. I have a feeling I might be able to find something if I could see the Time Machine files outside of the TM interface, which has been unproductive. I can' see any 400 gigs of free space kicking around anywhere, so I am hoping the files live on. Reaaaaalllllllly hoping.

-Billy

wflan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Here's how far I got with Terminal, trying trying to dig into the Time Machine files

Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 9.05.04 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.