Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is not enough difference between the iPad and iPad mini to warrant separate forums. We don't have separate forums for 13", 15" and 17" MacBook Pros.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
We don't have separate forums for 21.5" and 27" iMac, 13" and 15" MBP, 11" and 13" MBA. iPad mini is an iPad, just smaller. There's no need for a separate forum.

Jord5i

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Why would you want that, it's not confusing at all. It has the exact same apps, it's even called the same. No need for it

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yet, what would it hurt to have them seperated?

A larger forum homepage, debatable speed changes, and confusion over what is where, and how things overlap. More work for moderators who then have to keep threads in their respective forums. Mods have enough work to do to bother with separating iPad Mini threads from iPad 3rd gen threads.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
A larger forum homepage, debatable speed changes, and confusion over what is where, and how things overlap. More work for moderators who then have to keep threads in their respective forums. Mods have enough work to do to bother with separating iPad Mini threads from iPad 3rd gen threads.

OK
You win.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
If anything maybe a prefix for thread titles

That's exactly what we've done - as of just a few minutes ago, you must choose a prefix in the iPad Accessories and general iPad forum before you can start a new thread. The choices are [iPad], [iPad Mini], and [All iPads]. :cool:

It's possible to search within in a forum based on a given prefix, so for example those wanting to see all the iPad Mini threads in the Accessories forum will be able to do so.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
That's exactly what we've done - as of just a few minutes ago, you must choose a prefix in the iPad Accessories and general iPad forum before you can start a new thread. The choices are [iPad], [iPad Mini], and [All iPads]. :cool:

It's possible to search within in a forum based on a given prefix, so for example those wanting to see all the iPad Mini threads in the Accessories forum will be able to do so.

Man, that forum is a disaster and hard to read now. The prefix needs to be the same size or removed.

iPad
Mini
Both

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Man, that forum is a disaster and hard to read now. The prefix needs to be the same size or removed.

iPad
Mini
Both

If you're looking for threads with a certain prefix, just use the search function (Search -> Advanced Search -> Find threads with prefix, and choose the forum you want to search). You'll get a list with only threads you're interested in.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
If you're looking for threads with a certain prefix, just use the search function (Search -> Advanced Search -> Find threads with prefix, and choose the forum you want to search). You'll get a list with only threads you're interested in.

Thanks for the response. I'm not looking for any thread, just reading the forum. The post titles are all misaligned due to the varying degree of length of the prefixes and makes everything difficult to read and gives an overall poor layout.

Compare the iPad forum to the iPhone forum for example.

rhythmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
NYC
iPad Forums

Can the mods add a new sub forum? I think there should be separate forums for iPad mini and iPad.

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
The mini doesn't need it's own sub-forum. Other than size, there isn't enough to differentiate it from its big brother. Heck the iPhone still uses one section. I can understand why the MacBooks and iPods needed their own subforum though. The mini doesn't quite need one.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
The mini doesn't need it's own sub-forum. Other than size, there isn't enough to differentiate it from its big brother. Heck the iPhone still uses one section. I can understand why the MacBooks and iPods needed their own subforum though. The mini doesn't quite need one.

Well they use different hardware, so some of the problems may be different. But I agree for the most part. Each thread is labeled as iPad Mini or iPad.

I have found myself wishing there were a separate Mini sub forum, but I don't think it's particularly necessary.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Most people post in the wrong sections anyways, so I don't think it matters if we have separate forums for each product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.