Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Slicing Tutorial to HTML / CSS

Is there any good tutorials that display slicing from design images to html and css like this link below (yes I use Pixelmator):

http://abduzeedo.com/basics-slicing-pixelmator
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:20 AM   #2
schimmel
macrumors member

Don't slice

Unless this is purely for a mockup that you're gonna show a client, the whole process of using image slices is very outdated. Well it is even for mockups, but it could be useful if you're comfortable with Pixelmator.

However, using images that way to make up a website is bad in lots of ways, to name a few:

- search engines can't parse the content, hence you won't be searchable
- it will scale very bad and look fuzzy if someone zooms or has a retina display
- it takes a lot of time, and is generally just really cumbersome especially if you want to change something.

So, bottomline: don't slice. Use a CMS, like CMS made simple.
schimmel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:05 AM   #3
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by schimmel View Post
Unless this is purely for a mockup that you're gonna show a client, the whole process of using image slices is very outdated. Well it is even for mockups, but it could be useful if you're comfortable with Pixelmator.

However, using images that way to make up a website is bad in lots of ways, to name a few:

- search engines can't parse the content, hence you won't be searchable
- it will scale very bad and look fuzzy if someone zooms or has a retina display
- it takes a lot of time, and is generally just really cumbersome especially if you want to change something.

So, bottomline: don't slice. Use a CMS, like CMS made simple.
I currently use CMSMadeSimple and as good as they are they're just as bad because they have a horrible support section (forums).

A few years ago everyone I knew was doing the whole slice approach, and as I have been learning CSS3 these past few weeks I assumed it was outdated as well but wasn't sure. This clears that up! Thanks
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:49 AM   #4
BuntaFujiwaraaa
macrumors newbie

yeah you shouldn't be slicing your images ready to build a HTML/CSS website.

And actually, even few years ago assuming 4-5years, slicing images for HTML/CSS isn't considered very professional as well. But ppl still do, and you still can create a website but just not the industry standard.
BuntaFujiwaraaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development