Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I already know what the next ipad mini is going be and when its going to be released.

Its going to be have a retina display and a6 cpu. Same price, release date somewhere in september. I will be buying one then cause the current ipad mini is so flawed.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I completely agree OP - I love Apple but you are right - but it makes me think there must be something around the corner - how long can they keep making things "thinner and twice as fast without compromising battery life"? There has to come a point where they do all that can be done to an iPhone or iPad in its current form? But that's probably why I'm sitting at my computer writing this rather than thinking up the next big thing

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
hahah what ever happened to the idea of a 3D iPad. If steve jobs were alive...heheh he'd be working on something revolutionary. Tim just cares too much about the bottom line and giving us minute upgrades...oh and holding out on possible upgrades to mini iPad.

YES mini ipad is still a great device, lighter, thinner etc BUT apple soooo could have added the faster processor and our much wanted retina display IF THEY WANTED TO. HELLO IPHONE 5....

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
They may even go with the A5x and retina. They have to both diferentiate their line up and squeeze every last penny out of each generation.

And thats fine! I didn't buy a mini because retina is a deal breaker for me, but I'll buy a retina a5 mini as soon as its available.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
hahah what ever happened to the idea of a 3D iPad. If steve jobs were alive...heheh he'd be working on something revolutionary. Tim just cares too much about the bottom line and giving us minute upgrades...oh and holding out on possible upgrades to mini iPad.

YES mini ipad is still a great device, lighter, thinner etc BUT apple soooo could have added the faster processor and our much wanted retina display IF THEY WANTED TO. HELLO IPHONE 5....

3D ipad would have been a total flop. The 3D fad is basically dead already. Nobody likes it at all.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
3D ipad would have been a total flop. The 3D fad is basically dead already. Nobody likes it at all.

Yes I know, I am not one of the people to go out and buy a 3d TV. I should have added -- any new cool feature. I was just trying to point out that steve jobs would be grinding his brain to come out with something more innovative than just - faster and thinner.

I'm still disappointed in apple just making iphone 5 design basically...longer. seriously, thats the best you came up with???

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
If steve jobs were alive...heheh he'd be working on something revolutionary. Tim just cares too much about the bottom line and giving us minute upgrades.......

Would you like to inform us on what projects Apple is currently working on?

Between 2001 and 2007 Apple put out iterative products.

Between 2007 and 2010 Apple put out iterative products.

Game changers don't come around often, so you can't expect it every year.

----------

Yes I know, I am not one of the people to go out and buy a 3d TV. I should have added -- any new cool feature. I was just trying to point out that steve jobs would be grinding his brain to come out with something more innovative than just - faster and thinner.

I'm still disappointed in apple just making iphone 5 design basically...longer. seriously, thats the best you came up with???

You don't have a clue.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I already know what the next ipad mini is going be and when its going to be released.

Its going to be have a retina display and a6 cpu. Same price, release date somewhere in september. I will be buying one then cause the current ipad mini is so flawed.

So What Problem do you have with that ? If that is bothering you. Simple ! Just Ignore it, No one is forcing you to think about Apple and Apple Products !

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Would you like to inform us on what projects Apple is currently working on?

Between 2001 and 2007 Apple put out iterative products.

Between 2007 and 2010 Apple put out iterative products.

Game changers don't come around often, so you can't expect it every year.

I said he'd be 'working on' something revolutionary. No I do not expect some magical device every upgrade. My point again is that w NO STEVE JOBS, the man with the revolutionary, genius mind...is gone. Plus the 2 apple heads are gone and the one guy was Steve jobs right hand man.

Apple is already doing uncharacteristic business decisions.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
And I asked, could you tell the rest of us what products Apple is 'working on' right now?

everything for the most part is leaked now. I highly doubt tim cook has 'cooked' up anything close to steve jobs.

you know this argument can go both ways!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
everything for the most part is leaked now. I highly doubt tim cook has 'cooked' up anything close to steve jobs.

you know this argument can go both ways!

No, it can't.

The iPad, the idea of Apple doing a tablet was leaked for years before it was anounced.

Same with the iPhone.

And the big rumour on the back burner at the moment is a TV.

I understand you love Steve Jobs, and he was a brilliant man, but he wasn't coming up with these products himself.

You have romanticised the past and forgotten what it was really like.

And to say the iPhone 5 is just a stretched iPhone 4 is rediculous.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

They did what they had to do to keep the price down. Its still a great device and I wish I had one.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
No, it can't.

The iPad, the idea of Apple doing a tablet was leaked for years before it was anounced.

Same with the iPhone.

I understand you love Steve Jobs, and he was a brilliant man, but he wasn't coming up with these products himself.

You must be crazy if you think apple will show up with a TV :D

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
You all have lost a grip on reality. There was no such thing AS an iPad LESS THAN 3 years ago. Somehow you want Apple to create miracle yearly now? Apple had be party to a few big ideas, the personal computer, graphical UI, iPod/iTunes, the iPhone and now iPad but that is over decades and decades. The iPad mini doesn't have retina this year because the technology to mass produce retina screens in a 7.85 doesn't exist AND is too costly. Apple didn't want to lose out on folks who wanted a smaller tablet so they made it non retina. Sure in 12-24 months as factories improve and technology improves and apples prices go down they will release a retina mini for $329 or gasp, $299 but until then enjoy the iPad mini in its current brilliance.

PS: none of the android 7 inch tablets have a resolution equal or approaching the level required for an exact 4x pixel doubling of an apple iPad screen... They can't do it either.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
You all have lost a grip on reality. There was no such thing AS an iPad LESS THAN 3 years ago. Somehow you want Apple to create miracle yearly now? Apple had be party to a few big ideas, the personal computer, graphical UI, iPod/iTunes, the iPhone and now iPad but that is over decades and decades. The iPad mini doesn't have retina this year because the technology to mass produce retina screens in a 7.85 doesn't exist AND is too costly. Apple didn't want to lose out on folks who wanted a smaller tablet so they made it non retina. Sure in 12-24 months as factories improve and technology improves and apples prices go down they will release a retina mini for $329 or gasp, $299 but until then enjoy the iPad mini in its current brilliance.

PS: none of the android 7 inch tablets have a resolution equal or approaching the level required for an exact 4x pixel doubling of an apple iPad screen... They can't do it either.

Exactly

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
No, it can't.

Same with the iPhone.

Obviously I am aware there are internal software upgrades to the iPhone 5. Hello I have one. what is easy, would be to redesign the exterior. Any ID designer w limited skills could redesign the shell of the phone. In addition, manufacturers already had to redesign all the cases for the 5, so why not redesign it entirely. Also this discussion of the iphone 5 design it a matter of opinion and taste.

I wasn't referring to leaks on particular devices when I said the argument can go both ways. I meant arguing about whether there is something revolutionary going on with out steve jobs there. What we do have proof of since I assume you are not working in cupertino at their headquarters, is the obvious decisions that apple has already made after steve died...which is out of the ordinary.

The topic of this thread is everyone particular opinion. not sure why you have the need to argue w my opinion relentlessly...who cares.

Last edited:

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010

could have done a lot of things... but you wait until you know the product is selling in the quanity that is worth it. what you want is all the quality goodness of iphone 5 in an ipad mini. well... are you going to pay the price? are you going to pay $800+ i doubt it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The dates aren't predictable anymore. But the type of minor or major upgrade cycles are.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
could have done a lot of things... but you wait until you know the product is selling in the quanity that is worth it. what you want is all the quality goodness of iphone 5 in an ipad mini. well... are you going to pay the price? are you going to pay $800+ i doubt it.

What part of my statement did I say I expected some magical device that will brush my teeth for me and pick up my dry cleaning.

my main point was Apple COULD HAVE ADDED the freaking upgraded processor and retina display.
There is just as many people who have argued on this thread already, that apple purposely waited to hold off on that for the next upgrade.

And yes, I would pay more for the mini if it had retina right now. B/c of the model I'm choosing, I'd already be paying $600. I'd prefer no headache while reading my iPad for an extra $100.

In addition...I jokingly said...hahah steve jobs would be working on something revolutionary.

2 different statements. sorry I didn't add a different paragraph about steve jobs.

Last edited:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Well, obviously they're going to go in with the least specs they can get away with on the first model. They can afford to do this based on the novelty factor alone, as people in the apple store realize that it's almost $200 cheaper than the big iPad and they can easily fit it in a cargo pocket, backpack or purse.

There will be a lot of fanfare next year when they announce that it has retina display and a a5x chip. My guess is the mini will trail the iPad's hardware by two generations so it won't cannibalize sales of its big brother.

Apple has to sell millions of iPads every year, presumably to mostly the same people, or their stock price will tank. The economy will collapse as everyone else will realize "if Apple can't make a buck, we're :expletive deleted:!" and close their factories and businesses. People will be out of work, dictators will be elected, wars will be fought over scare resources, and germ warfare will cause a zombie pandemic. Or, if we're lucky, it'll only be as bad as living in a Mad Max movie.

So, which is worse? Not getting retina this year on the mini or watching Australians run around in assless leather chaps in 2015? Take your pick.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
apple has their own factories in china so they obviously have the lowest labor fees possible. majority of retailers make at least 300-500% profit. If apple had put in the retina and faster processor, they would NOT be losing money. They would be just making LESS. Since apple DOES sell millions...guess what...they'll still be making millions if they threw in the damn retina display.

Its like getting tinted windows on a car but only having to pay the price of a base model...the retailer and the car manufacturer is still making at least triple the cost of the car.

If the mini was released prior to the ipad 3, macbook retina and even before Iphone 5(even though the 4 also had it), I think people would be less annoyed w apple. apple has already added retina display in majority of their other devices.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
apple has their own factories in china so they obviously have the lowest labor fees possible. majority of retailers make at least 300-500% profit. If apple had put in the retina and faster processor, they would NOT be losing money. They would be just making LESS. Since apple DOES sell millions...guess what...they'll still be making millions if they threw in the damn retina display.

Its like getting tinted windows on a car but only having to pay the price of a base model...the retailer and the car manufacturer is still making at least triple the cost of the car.

If the mini was released prior to the ipad 3, macbook retina and even before Iphone 5, I think people would be less annoyed w apple. apple has already added retina display in majority of their other devices.

Apple is positively in the evil genius category of upselling and upgrading, and are always thinking of the long game.

If they put in a retina and a5x chip now, how excited do you think people would be in 2013 to buy a mini 2 when it has an a6x chip and has up to 100% better performance in synthetic benchmarks?

Unless they threw in an unexpected, "Holy Schnikes, how in God's name did western civilization survive before this?!?" feature, the reaction would be similar to what you're seeing from iPad3 owners on the 4: "Meh, pass. Let's see what they come out with on the next one."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.