Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So, I'm torn between either the iPod Touch 4gen 32GB or the iPod Classic 160Gb. I think my basic dilemma is do I go for storage, or do I go for the larger screen. Currently, my music collection isn't particularly big (I use spotify a lot), about 13GB, and I have about 5GB of photos. Both of those will be expanding, but not at a very fast rate, and some of my music I can really do without on the iPod, but I'm not sure I really want to have to 'manage' storage. I have an iPad, which makes me think I should go with the iPod Classic, but I also like the idea of having a 'mini iPad' for portability.

Thoughts?

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Sounds like a 32gb iPod Touch is the best IMO, but it is pricey

Capacity shouldn't really be a concern for you if at this point your music and photos is less than half the capacity of the device it should last you for years.

Plus you get the easy navigation of the Touch and wireless for your Spotify.

The only real drawback is the price.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Depends on if you want a true music player or a mini iPad, jack-of-all-trades device.

I have 15 GB of music and I use a Classic; the capacity of the Classic is great, but for me it's actually secondary to the iPod itself and it's clickwheel and simplicity...that's why I use one.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Depends on if you want a true music player or a mini iPad, jack-of-all-trades device.

That way of phrasing it was quite clarifying to me. I think I'll go for the latter.

Thanks everyone :)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
That way of phrasing it was quite clarifying to me. I think I'll go for the latter.

Thanks everyone :)

Currently selling an iPod Touch 32GB in mint condition over in the marketplace in case your interested ;)

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Currently selling an iPod Touch 32GB in mint condition over in the marketplace in case your interested ;)

:D

I had actually decided to invest in a 5th gen, since the price difference isn't that great, but now you confused me :p

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
if you need apps and a bigger screen for video viewing then the touch is the way to go. if you have an iPhone or iPad the touch is a bit redundant. that being said if those don't matter get the Classic.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Have you considered buying a used/refurbished, older Classic? You could probably get an iPod Video for not that much money that does everything you need.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Have you considered buying a used/refurbished, older Classic? You could probably get an iPod Video for not that much money that does everything you need.

Yes, I'd quite like to do that, but my local Apple store doesn't do refurbs and so far I have seen any second hand ones around, unless I buy internationally, which I'm a bit reluctant to do, but I guess I could if I found a reputable seller.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I'm back to considering the iPod Classic. Will the Classic play my offline Spotify tracks?

releevo

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
I'm back to considering the iPod Classic. Will the Classic play my offline Spotify tracks?

No. I don't think Spotify sync offline tracks to non-iOS iPods.
I just bought a classic, simply for the simplicity of its function and beautiful ergonomics.
I have a 64GB iPhone which is loaded with music and slowed down.
I also hate the touch screen for control of music.

johnlee2012

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Actually I never worry with the storage problem and Ipod touch 32 gb is more than enough for me since I always Update and delete the mp3 as I like, I never store the old one mp3 in my ipod

icon6.gif

index.jpg

lisadivinebutle

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
The new I phone 5 is very good and have so many new futures.It's very thinner and lighter with large screen,and its help to faster web browsing.This is the best I phone to buy.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
If you're prone to dropping your iPod, I'd get the touch because it has far fewer moving parts to break. That's one of the main reasons I got my iPod touch since I've dropped the iPods I've owned fairly regularly.

Also, I've got a large library of more than 60K tunes, 4K audiobooks, and hundreds of movies and TV shows. No iPod can sync that library, so I've made sure all ID3 tags are filled out and set up playlists for controlling what gets uploaded to the iPod.

After owning five iPods since they were introduced in 2001, I can tell you the iPod touch is at least twice as durable as the classic models and that a large library is no impediment at all.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Agree completely.

I have 15 GB of music and I use a Classic; the capacity of the Classic is great, but for me it's actually secondary to the iPod itself and it's clickwheel and simplicity...that's why I use one.

It really depends on what you want to do and how you plan to use the device. If music is your main interest, and you have a large music library (and you to keep it in one location), then the classic is an obvious buy.

I still have one, and travel everywhere with it. However, as DUCKofD3ATH has pointed out, the classic can die. This can happen as a result of a number of reasons, such as an accident, or a HDD failure (which happened to me - twice; luckily, on both occasions, it was still under warranty so it was replaced without any problems).

The iTouch is a far more stable device with a better screen which allows you to do far more; however, even the 64GB (which I also have) lacks the storage capacity of the classic.

Good luck with it.

fasi112

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
which iPod should I get

I suggest,you should definitely get the iPod 4G if you want apps and a camera.

As for memory, it depends on how much music you have. I would say 16GB would be fine, unless you have over 3000 songs, in which case you won't have enough memory for apps. If you have that many songs, you will need the 32GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.