Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As is always the case with new iOS device launches, some early purchasers are interested in putting the products through drop tests and other experiments in order to test their durability. The iPad mini is no exception, and several drop and dunk test videos have already been posted.

Android Authority has a comparison between the iPad mini and Nexus 7 tablets, putting each device through a series of three drops from approximately chest high.

ipad_mini_cracked.jpg
While the iPad mini did suffer a fair amount of damage, including a cracked screen, it did outperform the Nexus 7 in that it continued to function after being dropped.

Article Link: iPad Mini Survives Dunk Test, Cracks in Drop Tests but Still Functions

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Breaking news: I know people want the best devices, but let us admit this, most of us don't use our device to that extreme.

Ok I'll admit I am more interested in the drop test than the water dunking.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Well not scientific but still a decent example of durability.

----------

Personally I'd kick my device on the way down to break the fall

applemotor

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Washington, The State
Yawn.
I am still waiting for the Institute of Highway Safety's test of crashing a SUV into a pedestrian who isn't paying attention to anything but a funny kitten video on YouTube.

How does the iPad fair then?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
These people are idiots. This doesn't make me want to drop my devices any more or any less.

I'd like to meet the guy that wants to drop his expensive electronics... :)

Well not scientific but still a decent example of durability.

My worst electronics fall was when I fumbled a Sharp MiniDisc player at the top of the stairs and watched in horror as it fell down the entire stairway, bouncing all along the way off the carpet.

Of course, this particular machine was built like a tank and survived completely unscathed. Whew!

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Simply description for the persons behind these tests

********** idiots.

Also, whoever needs to know this is a ********** idiot.

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
These tests do no represent real world incidents!!! Drive by shootings in Detroit, powerful sorcery and satellites falling onto it are more realistic and representative of daily living...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
These people are idiots. This doesn't make me want to drop my devices any more or any less.
While some are just doing it for the page views, SquareTrade has a vested interest in durability, so they'd do the tests regardless of whether or not people would want to see them.

It's good to see that the iPad's durability is pretty decent - drops like this happen, and it seems they're at least survivable. Drops into liquids... well, people do bring these tablets as reading devices into the bathroom and near pools.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i'm actually not surprised people do these drop tests. ever seen how insurance companies test if your device was really unintentionally dropped?

they break up to 5 iPhones just to see if it shatters the same way. ironically they may as well just have given u a new iPhone instead of breaking 4 more

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
These tests do no represent real world incidents!!! Drive by shootings in Detroit, powerful sorcery and satellites falling onto it are more realistic and representative of daily living...

LOL. That's the spirit, sir!

Whoever takes these things seriously needs a serious vacation.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Testing common sense - unless Apple has reported something that iPad Mini is "Unbreabkable".

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think Apple paid them for this kind of stuff. Maybe they think it is the cheapest way to get attracted in this way? :confused:

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I personally like watching these.

I don't care. not may money. Its fun to see how much it can handle.

My sister once dropped her iPhone 3gs in the bath tub... The thing sunk all the way to the bottom. She took it out and put it in rice and it still worked except the speaker.... Which magically started working again weeks later LOL.

These are just for entertainment.

But I agree these shouldn't be taken seriously. I remember one test the Nexus did well. I remember ones where the iPad did well. One drop test won't determine anything

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
How come no one has tested the zombie apocalypse durability? These are things I need to know in order to justify a purchase!

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Did any of the devices actually land on the side he intended them to? This is pointless. :rolleyes:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Bunch of idiots....Hmmm Glass breaks when you drop it on concrete...Who knew

its called viral marketing, people will repost and reblog those videos. its pretty smart to get the name of your company spread all over the internet actually.

breaking one iPad is no loss to them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.