Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS devices have long carried at least partial support for emoji, picture characters popular for text messaging in Japan but also gaining interest in countries around the world. Initially the feature was unlocked only for Japanese customers, but over time the company has broadened access to emoji and now supports several hundred emoji characters for all users once they enable the special emoji keyboard.

emoji-500x338.jpg
With iOS 6 bringing expanded emoji support, it appears that Apple is beginning to address the significant number of emoji apps in the App Store, sending out notices to developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the store because they are no longer useful given the built-in emoji support now available. MacRumors has heard from several developers who received such notices, and a number of other developers have mentioned them on Twitter, so it does appear to be a concerted effort by Apple.
Hello XXXX,

We are writing to let you know your app, XXXX, has been removed from the App Store because it is no longer needed to unlock Emoji.

Since iOS 6 now provides Emoji support to all users, your app is no longer in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines

2.12 Apps that are not very useful, are simply web sites bundled as apps, or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected

If you have questions about the removal of your application, please contact App Review at appreview@apple.com. Please include the App ID and the name of your application in your email.

Thank you and best regards,

App Review
While Apple's notices state that the apps have been removed from the App Store, they do in fact seem to still be available, so it is unclear exactly what Apple's timeline for taking the apps down may be.

A number of the developers have noted that Apple seems to be targeting any app listing emoji among its features, not just those that are designed solely to enable emoji characters. Consequently, these developers argue that their apps are indeed useful and provide functionality beyond that offered in iOS 6 itself.

Article Link: Emoji Apps No Longer Welcome in App Store Following Native iOS 6 Support

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I thought native emoji support came in iOS 5

It did, so it's odd that Apple would wait until now to do this.

Here's hoping they don't decide to take down Quick Clips... it handles thousands of special characters, emoji included, and took me ~4 months to develop last year. Not that it's actually paid off in any way now... say, maybe with "competing" apps going down, if mine stays up, it might actually get some attention?

TalkAboutApple

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
I hate dumb corporate types who write crap like this. They should include PR in addition to Legal when they are reviewing. If I was a developer I'd be pretty tweaked at this and spread the word.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
What about people with older devices that don't want to or can't upgrade to iOS 6?

Emojis were brought in iOS 5. If your device isn't compatible with iOS 5, I'm guessing your iPhone 3G or original iPhone would have to make due by quickly downloading those Emoji apps.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Meh, who cares? They didn't take long to build so they aren't out much, and the ones in iOS 6 are perfect to express "emotions." Less cluttered app store, less time app approval teams have to waste on apps like this, and more time for them to approve Google Maps app faster :p

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
These apps were such a scam. Only iOS users could see them when received lol. I just use copy and paste's site for symbols when texting another non iOS device.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
... and what of the Emoji apps for MAC?? I downloaded two (the first one sucked ass... can't believe I paid for that crap) and the one I currently use doesn't have the additional Emojis that the iOS6 introduced. The developer's site doesn't work either.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
The Android store can fill up with all the useless Crap Apps, I for one appreciate some level of quality control.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
i felt like all those apps were scams anyways. good, out with the garbage in the store.

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I've never wanted or downloaded one of these apps, but it is nice to know that if you spend the time to make something people want Apple will just pull the plug on your app once they decide to implement it themselves.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Just big brother policing the Apple eco-system and weeding the walled garden... no need for concern. :eek:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
"Apps that are not very useful, are simply web sites bundled as apps"???

First of all, "apps that are not very useful" is a terrible way to word it. Did a 10 year old write this document? I mean, usefulness is always subjective anyway.

Secondly, if websites bundled as apps is against the terms of the App Store, they need to take down at least 40% of the apps in the store -- including those created by/for large corporations. Hilton, are you paying attention? Their app is a disgrace.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I've never wanted or downloaded one of these apps, but it is nice to know that if you spend the time to make something people want Apple will just pull the plug on your app once they decide to implement it themselves.

This has been Apple's stance the entire life of the app store.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
1) Emoji was enabled for all as of iOS 5.0. Not 6.0.

2) Not all iOS devices can run iOS 6. Some are limited to 3.1.3, 4.2.1, and 5.1.1.

2a) I hope Apple allows new apps to be submitted if they are for iOS 3.x and 4.x devices *AND* specify in the description that you do not need to use a program if you are running iOS 5.x or newer.

3) OMG THANK YOU! I *hated* seeing that top apps #6, #10, #15, #20, etc, etc, etc were all PAY Emoji apps. Some review were from people buying them for their new iPhone 5, not knowing Emoji were already unlocked.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.