Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Unofficial 30-Pin Dock Connector and Micro-USB Lightning Adapters Coming Soon

iPhone5mod is continuing its rapid pace of development on unauthorized Lightning-compatible accessories today, introducing a new direct plug 30-pin dock connector adapter and a Lightning to micro-USB adapter.

Both of these products are substitutes for official Apple products, with iPhone5mod's 30-pin adapter available in both black and white and priced at $15.90, compared to Apple's official $29 adapter available only in white. iPhone5mod's Lightning-to-USB adapter is priced at $9.90 and is the equivalent of Apple's official adapter sold in European countries.

iPhone5mod is also offering a 2-in-1 kit with both of the new adapters for $24.90. Shipping to the United States is $4 per item or kit, and orders should begin shipping in 2-3 weeks.

With Apple still yet to allow third-party accessory manufacturers to officially support the new Lightning standard, consumers are in many cases turning to unofficial sources for accessories that are either unavailable as authorized products or available at much higher prices from Apple. There have been questions about the quality of many of these unauthorized accessories, but some users are willing to take chances on products for which official alternatives do not yet exist or which carry significantly higher pricing.

Article Link: Unofficial 30-Pin Dock Connector and Micro-USB Lightning Adapters Coming Soon
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2
blizaine
macrumors 6502

wow, those things already look bent and dinged up.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:12 PM   #3
rmwebs
Banned

Good on em if it works! Apple were very late at getting their 3rd party stuff sorted out with the new lightning port.

Very poor work from Apple and they absolutely deserve to have someone undercut them at the prices they are asking for the cables.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine View Post
I think its just a different construction. The Apple one's are a solid piece of metal, these seem to be a few parts as I guess it's cheaper.
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
blizaine
macrumors 6502

With the lightning connector being so advanced... I wonder if apple is able to disable or break compatibility with an software update.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

You get what you pay for lol
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:02 PM   #6
bazaarsoft
macrumors newbie

Ummm

Seems super silly to risk frying your brand new iDevice just to save a couple of dollars on an adaptor...

bazaarsoft is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:15 PM   #7
ALCRON
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to ALCRON
Oh, "unofficial". I was truly hoping it was "official" instead.
Well, before I saw the pictures of course.

Last edited by ALCRON; Nov 1, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
ALCRON is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Hidesuru
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post
Seems super silly to risk frying your brand new iDevice just to save a couple of dollars on an adaptor...

There shouldn't be any risk of damage to the device. I'm an electrical engineer and it's quite easy to put in protection against over-current / over-voltage situations into a circuit. Given that the pins are all dynamically assigned in this interface, I am certain that they have all these protections in place in case something were ever to go wrong, even with official accessories.

Also $15 -per device- is hardly chump change, particularly if you want several. I bought the 32GB model so I paid ~$300. That was already so much I almost didn't get an iPhone (been an avid droid fan for years, but getting tired of a laggy UI so I thought I'd give the iPhone a try, and love it btw). At any rate, increasing the cost of the phone by a significant percentage by buying very pricey accessories doesn't make sense to me personally when cheaper options like this are out there.

Now, I am certain that the Apple products will be better built. No doubt. However, for many of these items I don't need it to be built like a tank so having another option is good. Also, competition forces any company to keep prices down as much as possible, so I argue that's a good thing as well.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Cheers.
Hidesuru is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:49 PM   #9
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

I know some of these are to compete with accessories Apple has already released and some are ones Apple would never release. I would be happy to pay Apple more money for ones they carry as these 3rd party ones are horrible quality from the pics.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Michael Anthony
macrumors member

I guess that since they're the only ones currently making these knockoff adapters is the reason that they're able to charge $15 for the thing. If I was going to pay that much for it I might as well pay a little more and get the real thing.

I'll be waiting for the 99c adapters from Hong Kong's eBay stores...
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:47 PM   #11
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

wow chinese counterfeits... what a great assembly quality
macchiato2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:28 PM   #12
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Wow, the quality looks to be so bad... I'd never buy that, especially for 2/3rd of Apple's official price.

Last edited by shurcooL; Nov 1, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
shurcooL is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:45 PM   #13
mistertomlinson
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mistertomlinson
I would actually prefer the Chinaman knockoff. It looks considerably smaller than Apple's adapter. Who cares if it isn't shiny. Lulz.
mistertomlinson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:27 PM   #14
hchung
macrumors 6502a

These look pretty bad.

The Lightning side of the two 30 pin adapters have slightly different thicknesses below the white 8 pins

The Lightning side of the microUSB adapter is both crooked in the last photo as well as the leading metal edge above the 8 pins.

Well, those of you brave enough to use them, let the rest of us know how it goes after a month, yeah?
hchung is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:27 PM   #15
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Apple's official adapter (that you can buy in Europe) is at least as small, if not smaller.

shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:12 AM   #16
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

These connectors look pretty poor quality and are still quite expensive, probably best to wait or stump up the extra few dollars and get an Apple one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
I would actually prefer the Chinaman knockoff. It looks considerably smaller than Apple's adapter. Who cares if it isn't shiny. Lulz.
This looks the same as the Apple micro USB connector supplied in Europe, in fact the apple one maybe slightly smaller.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:07 AM   #17
mistertomlinson
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mistertomlinson
Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
These connectors look pretty poor quality and are still quite expensive, probably best to wait or stump up the extra few dollars and get an Apple one.

----------

This looks the same as the Apple micro USB connector supplied in Europe, in fact the apple one maybe slightly smaller.
Oh, I'm definitely waiting for cheaper. I'm in no hurry. My i5's battery doesn't need car charging like my i4S.
mistertomlinson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:15 AM   #18
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
Oh, I'm definitely waiting for cheaper. I'm in no hurry. My i5's battery doesn't need car charging like my i4S.
Yes, not sure what happened with the 4S, some seamed to have decent battery life but others were hopeless.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:04 AM   #19
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

iPhone5mod is my HERO!

Sure they don't look great, but that they are providing what Apple is not, or expensive!
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:59 AM   #20
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidesuru View Post
There shouldn't be any risk of damage to the device. I'm an electrical engineer and it's quite easy to put in protection against over-current / over-voltage situations into a circuit. Given that the pins are all dynamically assigned in this interface, I am certain that they have all these protections in place in case something were ever to go wrong, even with official accessories.
Agreed.
Also work with electronics, and today's electronics are more then cable to handling 5v, 1A power in the wrong place.
We make mistakes all time, but rarely fry something.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:08 AM   #21
Hidesuru
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Agreed.
Also work with electronics, and today's electronics are more then cable to handling 5v, 1A power in the wrong place.
We make mistakes all time, but rarely fry something.
And thank god for that! ;-)

A toast to all the engineers out there who make quality products, such as the ones Apple (usually) makes.
Hidesuru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:26 PM   #22
goodgnus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
iPhone5mod is my HERO!

Sure they don't look great, but that they are providing what Apple is not, or expensive!
iPhone5mod is probably just buying this stuff on ebay and reselling it. The iPhone 5 docks I see on iPhone5mod are identical to the ones on eBay, buy they're roughly $10 less on eBay.
goodgnus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:06 PM   #23
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgnus View Post
iPhone5mod is probably just buying this stuff on ebay and reselling it. The iPhone 5 docks I see on iPhone5mod are identical to the ones on eBay, buy they're roughly $10 less on eBay.
More likely getting directly from the same vendor, and selling for more.

Difference is they look to make a full website and more advertising.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:02 PM   #24
Phightinphils
macrumors regular

Quote:
it's called a prototype that they rough up during the adjustment process.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:37 AM   #25
Arran
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Wow, the quality looks to be so bad... I'd never buy that, especially for 2/3rd of Apple's official price.
Yeah, maybe at $2.99. The micro-USB one looks disposable: Its price should match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidesuru View Post
... I don't need it to be built like a tank ...
With the daily connection and disconnection this item gets, plus the sideways stress when folks use the phone while charging, I do want it built like a tank.

Quote:
With the lightning connector being so advanced... I wonder if apple is able to disable or break compatibility with an software update.
No worries, a whole "jailbreak-your-connector" industry will spring up.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion