Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reRESERVEDMD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
4j2ki9.jpg

It seems like they've done nothing with the screens. What a shame... I'm going back to the store to get that exchanged ASAP. If two more will have the same problem, I'm done.

On the other hand, my friend's iPad mini is fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It seems iPad4 has the same issue.....:mad:

Oxj6F.png

In all seriousness, I saw this coming:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478089/

Shame history is repeating itself, I'm sure they are "recycling" displays from iPad 3 assembly line. In addition to QC on the panels themselves being seemingly "anything goes." Does it turn it, does it recognize your touch, does it have a backlight? Put it in a box and send it on its way.

I hope iPad mini screen issues aren't as common :/

OP: I think giving it two more shots is fair. I gave iPad3 wayyyy too many shots, but in the end, got one that wasn't hideous but at the expense of a lot of time and gas.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Blimey. How much did you have to 'up the gain' on that pic to make it look like that!?

I could make almost any screen look that bad with copious amounts of the exposure slider.

:rolleyes:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What does it look like with some apps running? I guess I don't "get" the picture you posted ... is that a black image with the brightness turned way up?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
It seems like they've done nothing with the screens. What a shame... I'm going back to the store to get that exchanged ASAP. If two more will have the same problem, I'm done.

On the other hand, my friend's iPad mini is fantastic!

Well that is too bad. Hopefully you will have better luck with an exchange or waiting until Apple gets QC under control.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Oh wow LG screwed up again, this is the same company that screwed up iPad 2 displays. That is just awful.

reRESERVEDMD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
That's not fake. Brightness at 50% in a dark room and black background. Picture taken with iPhone 5 and no flash. No gain adjustments etc.

I got it exchanged since they had plenty. This one isn't perfect but a whole lot better. Only visible at 100% brightness. Still can pick it up at 50 and below that, it's near impossible. Definitely within acceptable range. I guess I could exchange it 3 or so more times but I'm not gonna bother. I exchanged my rMBP about 12 times. After a while, you just give up and learn to accept that finding a perfect one is near impossible. Definitely not something to make your local AS hate you.

I will post a picture later. I'm exhausted and need a mandatory nap.

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
Just turned my 4th Gen on and it looks fantastic. Glad to hear you got a replacement - Apple is usually pretty cool with things like that. (I had a very similar issue on my iPad Gen 1)

ijha

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
This thread makes me nervous as I am gonna pick up my very first ipad at local Fedex store tonight. :eek:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Nervous? If it's messed up just swap it out. You know....like you would for any other product.

Yeah what good is that when almost all of them have the issue, as the OP noted his second one had it as well but he's living with it.... I think I'll stick with my 3rd gen for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.