Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
As per the title, Lord of the Rings Online now has a native Mac client, available from the main http://www.lotro.com page (click the top right if you already have an account, if not sign up for a free account)

Assuming it runs acceptably I might be able to ditch Bootcamp at last.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Excellent!
i have it on my bootcamp drive as well and i never play it since i'm usually too lazy to swap over

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
This is great, props to Turbine for not going the Cider/Wine route. I will give this one a try.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
It's native and it's very fast!

I just played thru the intro as an elf and dis a few quests.
I use maxed settings at 1680x1050 res and indoors the FPS is 200-250!
OUtside it was from 100-150 FPS!

Keep in mind there was very few players around so I guess the realistic performance is somewhat lower, but good none the less!

Antialiasing is for now disabled, but well I can live without it.
Only bug i found is that mouse can escape the screen if you play on multiple monitors.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Hmm, I need to download and install this bad boy. I already have an account with some characters I started on it as well as some purchased bank space. I think I didn't bother buying any content packs yet because my highest guy was a 20 ranger. I recall I had purchased Mines of Moria so I had content up to that but was missing some leveling content the ranger would need.

I kinda like how they implemented f2p in LoTRO. You just buy stuff as you need it to play and once you have, your alts can play through it as well. Meantime, you are not paying a monthly fee. You are free to play when you feel like it without money going to waste.

wilsonjm

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Munich, Germany
improvement on PC version

I've been playing it using Bootcamp for months and installed the Mac client as soon as it came out.

It opens faster on my iMac and looks a bit better than the PC version too and I run it at the native res for my screen - 2560x1440.

Only thing missing, as mentioned already, is the anti-aliasing, but you don't even notice.

Don't get the chance to say that very often, so well done Turbine!

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I've been playing it using Bootcamp for months and installed the Mac client as soon as it came out.

It opens faster on my iMac and looks a bit better than the PC version too and I run it at the native res for my screen - 2560x1440.

Only thing missing, as mentioned already, is the anti-aliasing, but you don't even notice.

Don't get the chance to say that very often, so well done Turbine!

Have to agree, I see little difference in the two versions, and I am more than happy to stick to Mac OS :)

wilsonjm

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Munich, Germany
Wow, 17GB download? Holy cow. What kind of bandwidth would I need to enjoy the game? I average about 50Kb/sec.

Can you play any other online games or MMOs ok? Lotro doesn't need more bandwidth than any other game, as far as I know. It's just a huge initial download. Plus regular updates can be large, but not like the initial one.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
how does the game run on say, a HD 4000 (2012 13" MBP)

Also for those that play, is there still an active community? I played 2 years ago, but stopped...thinking of picking it up again.

wilsonjm

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Munich, Germany

Also for those that play, is there still an active community? I played 2 years ago, but stopped...thinking of picking it up again.

It seems popular enough when I play, maybe not like WOW can be (or was). I play once a week with a couple of mates.

Oden79

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012

The game runs just fine on Mac mini 2011 with Intel HD3000 and 8 GB ram. So it should run even better on HD4000. If you run into trouble you can lower grafic settings and resolution.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Every time I try to download the client from lotro.com I end up with 1GB smaller unrecognisable image.:confused:

Port us the PC installer too, dammit!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.