Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Okay. So let me just preface this by saying the screen is absolutely gorgeous. My first Ipad 3 had backlight problems, so i returned it and the second one was fine. No such problems with the 4th gen, BUT, the colour temperature has changed again to a pinkish white, Not badly, just you can tell that that is the dominent aspect.

This has alternated for every ipad I've had so far:

Ipad: Bluish temperature

Ipad2: Pinkish tempature

Ipad3: Blue

Ipad4: Pink

I'm sure giving it a few days I will barely be able to tell, but going from ipad to ipad the change is jarring, and I'm just wondering what this is an affect of. I remember a recent colour comparison article I read online said that Apple calibrated their displays better than most. Is this a calibration issue, or just differences between screen manufacturers? Is it a generational thing as per my anecdotal evidence above?

henriknorem

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Haugesund, Norway
I went through a couple of 3rd gen iPads before giving up, but my 4th gen is perfect. It has a warm tint to it, but not anything more than what's natural. Looks stunning. But remember, the pink will appear under specific light conditions.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
As I say, it looks spectacular. All LCD's tend to lean slightly towards some colours. My current PC one is yellowish blue. Its very subtle and most people wouldn't even notice it. I'm just curious as to why it varies between models is all.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I sold mine, but I will check one of my family members units when I get home to see what that is line, and then see if I can represent it in picture.....

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
The iPad 4 I have is warmer than the my iPad 3 which was warmer than my iPad 2.

BTW iPad mini black version has a cooler look

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Just got my 4 yesterday off the FedEx truck. It was clearly tinted a dingy yellow. I guess this is what some would call warm. I called Apple this morning to go ahead and get on record with the issue. Was advised to give it several days. As I've used it throughout today, the yellow hue seems to be giving way to a more neutral white. The neutral white color seems to be working its way up from the bottom of the iPad (home button) gradually toward the top of the screen. As of now, the lower half of the screen seems to be a fairly normal hue, and the top half still has the yellow look. Very bizarre. :confused:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I used to just pre-order via the convenience of the Apple online store. But recent bouts of poor quality has proven that it's a very risky choice. So I have changed my buying to in person, at the Apple store. It's a pain for obvious reasons such as availability etc, but when possible it's the best way.

My purchase of iPad 4 is a perfect example. I purchased one, opened it while still in the store, found it very blue, so I returned it for another and another. By the fifth one I had found a good one. No problem. No more risky ordering from the online store, with it's waiting and wondering what will arrive. The in store purchase method is time consuming but worth it.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Just got my 4 yesterday off the FedEx truck. It was clearly tinted a dingy yellow. I guess this is what some would call warm. I called Apple this morning to go ahead and get on record with the issue. Was advised to give it several days. As I've used it throughout today, the yellow hue seems to be giving way to a more neutral white. The neutral white color seems to be working its way up from the bottom of the iPad (home button) gradually toward the top of the screen. As of now, the lower half of the screen seems to be a fairly normal hue, and the top half still has the yellow look. Very bizarre. :confused:

I would replace it if half the screen is a different color temp than the other. Mind taking a picture of it on a white background (not to determine color temp, but to see if it really is half and half).

Keep in mind that since the iPad 3 Apple has been trying to move to the correct color temp of 6500k. In display calibration there are very few "user preference" options. White level/Light output, and gamma (one could say black level, but you want that as low as possible without crushing blacks). Color temp is not one of them. If your display is set to a color temp above 6500k then it is wrong. And everything you are looking at is inaccurate.

People that prefer "cool white" prefer something that is inaccurate. The problem really stems from TV's. When you go to a store every single TV is set to store mode. Which is generally always has very high blue levels, over saturated colors, backlight/contrast set to max. So that is what probably 90% of the population thinks looks good. So now if they think that looks good, they want all their displays to look similar.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Will try to get a picture later on a white background. Tried a few earlier that didn't come out. It's very hard to get a photo to show the gradation from white at the bottom to the yellow at the top. But by way of comparison, here's the iPad 4 with my iPhone 4.

2drhu89.jpg

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I used to just pre-order via the convenience of the Apple online store. But recent bouts of poor quality has proven that it's a very risky choice. So I have changed my buying to in person, at the Apple store. It's a pain for obvious reasons such as availability etc, but when possible it's the best way.

My purchase of iPad 4 is a perfect example. I purchased one, opened it while still in the store, found it very blue, so I returned it for another and another. By the fifth one I had found a good one. No problem. No more risky ordering from the online store, with it's waiting and wondering what will arrive. The in store purchase method is time consuming but worth it.

How do you check it? Don't you have to go through the setup process with each one before you can really get a screen whereby you can make an informed decision? I ask because my iPad 4 resembles Achilles' as it is quite yellow and I may be returning it as a result.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I bought an iPad 4 for my daughter, but its for her birthday on the 27th so I can't really comment on its colour temperature. However I will say this. I have an iPhone 5 which looked more yellow than my iPhone 4. Recently I took a photo of a product in a D50 lighting booth. My mate was there who did the same with his iPhone 4. When we compared photos mine was exactly the same as the item. His was completely cool and not correct. This was a real world test of screen colours.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Will try to get a picture later on a white background. Tried a few earlier that didn't come out. It's very hard to get a photo to show the gradation from white at the bottom to the yellow at the top. But by way of comparison, here's the iPad 4 with my iPhone 4.

Wow, your looks like my 4s did. My 5 is closer to the ipad temp.

I prefer the bluish though as the white is whiter, more accurate maybe?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
How do you check it? Don't you have to go through the setup process with each one before you can really get a screen whereby you can make an informed decision? I ask because my iPad 4 resembles Achilles' as it is quite yellow and I may be returning it as a result.
How?

Buy it, set it up and check it right there.

Yeah it's work, but with Apple's highly variable quality, it's up to me to do Apple's QC work. They don't do it.

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
YES! Exactly. I posted about this regarding the screen hue/color/temp between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 yesterday.

I think the ipad 4 has the more accurate, vibrant colors. Side by side, the iPad 3 looks very blue and cold. The iPad 4 does seem like it has more red (or pink) in it at first, but I'm not sure if it's actually more red, or just the greater amount of blue in the iPad 3.

In the setup screens next to each other, the gray looks more gray on the iPad 4, and looks more bluish on the iPad 3.

But regardless, these are very slight changes in color temp/hue.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Here's a photo that illustrates well how my screen seems to gradiate from white to yellow. iPad set to maximum brightness in a totally dark room. The left side of the screen is the top (camera) of the ipad, the right side is the bottom (home button).

59u79.jpg

maxwellr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I have gone through 6 ipads and all of them had some sort of issue with the screen. Two of them had dead pixels and 4 of them had uneven screen temperature (like the OP). In one of the apple stores they only let me swap 3 times and twice in another. Got the 6th one from staples and it has an even (yellowish white but it is same as real paper color!) brightness but I just spotted a dead pixel. I am gonna swap for another tomorrow and hope for a good screen. I swear this is my last try :D

BTW units starting with dmj have LG displays(yellowish white) and dmq have Samsung(blueish white) displays.

Last edited:

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I have gone through 6 ipads and all of them had some sort of issue with the screen. Two of them had dead pixels and 4 of them had uneven screen temperature (like the OP). In one of the apple stores they only let me swap 3 times and twice in another. Got the 6th one from staples and it has an even (yellowish white but it is same as real paper color!) brightness but I just spotted a dead pixel. I am gonna swap for another tomorrow and hope for a good screen. I swear this is my last try :D

BTW units starting with dmj have LG displays(yellowish white) and dmq have Samsung(blueish white) displays.

Errr my starts with DLX and it has a subtle pinkish hue!

evasquez7

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Here's a photo that illustrates well how my screen seems to gradiate from white to yellow. iPad set to maximum brightness in a totally dark room. The left side of the screen is the top (camera) of the ipad, the right side is the bottom (home button).

Do you have a Samsung display? Mine is the same way.

maxwellr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Errr my starts with DLX and it has a subtle pinkish hue!

I of course didn't try all serial numbers. This data is from the devices I tried and the the display devices at apple store.

However apple store guy said the serial numbers had nothing to do with it and they were totally random. But he agreed they were two screen variations.

The display units only had bluish variation, of course apple knew people liked it more :)

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I of course didn't try all serial numbers. This data is from the devices I tried and the the display devices at apple store.

However apple store guy said the serial numbers had nothing to do with it and they were totally random. But he agreed they were two screen variations.

The display units only had bluish variation, of course apple knew people liked it more :)

So are you suggesting that my screen is unique? Hmm, maybe I should auction it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.