Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Nexus 10 Reviews Hit the Web as Fourth-Generation iPad Sales Begin

Just as Apple begins sales of the fourth-generation iPad and the iPad mini today, the embargo has lifted on reviews of Google's Nexus 10 tablet announced earlier this week. The device, which is manufactured by Samsung, builds on the relative success of the Nexus 7 to go head-to-head with the full-size iPad with a screen packing even more pixels than Apple's iPad Retina display.

While tablet manufacturers have been able to make inroads on the market by targeting smaller 7-inch screen sizes, they have had less success competing directly against the full-size iPad. But as each new device packs in the latest features and specs, it is interesting to see how they compare to the iPad, which Apple has tried to keep at the head of the pack with its latest update offering double the performance compared to its predecessor.

Engadget
Quote:
We'll type it again just because it's kind of neat: 2,560 x 1,600. That's an awful, awful lot of pixels in just a 10.1-inch PLS LCD panel -- way more than a 1080p HDTV contains. That it's in something that comfortably can be carried around, and that can be acquired for under $400, is quite a marvelous feat. It's good to live in the future.

And, indeed, things look fantastically sharp here. Text is rendered incredibly crisply and the UI looks better than ever. The first-party icons are all crisp and clean, though many third-party app icons do look like they could use a new, higher-resolution rendering. Thankfully, the apps themselves overwhelmingly look fine.
The Verge
Quote:
The Nexus 10 feels like Google's open letter to developers. "Look how great Android tablets can be," the company seems to be saying, "if only you'd make great apps!" The Nexus 10's display is every bit the Retina's equal, the build quality is excellent, and it even has a half-decent set of speakers. Android 4.2 is more stable than ever, and Android does a lot of great things iOS simply doesn't. But you take it out of the box, say it's beautiful and fast... then what? Apple's tablet has 250,000-plus other apps that look and work great on a huge, high-res screen, and Android's ecosystem is leagues behind. The Nexus 10 is a great way to watch movies, but there's absolutely no way it's going to replace your laptop the way the iPad could.
ReadWrite
Quote:
The Nexus 10, built by go-to Google partner Samsung, feels like it's built for working and playing. It's grippy and rubbery, and the edges have this gentle slope that fits in hands in a variety of ways. You can hold it with one hand. I found my favorite way to use it was resting on the palm of one hand, like a painter's palette, using it with the other hand. I'd never do that with an iPad.
TechCrunch
Quote:
It's time for Google to step up to the plate and control the entire experience of Android and hardware. Does that mean that other hardware manufacturers should get the shaft? Maybe not, but I think Apple's #1 genius move is that it controls the hardware and software.

Apple has an advantage, but Google is right there on the cusp of something amazing. Maybe you don't agree with my statement that Android has a leg up for the tablet experience, but it's worth thinking about.
Overall, reviewers seem to feel that the Nexus 10 is a quality tablet that is still being held back by issues with Android and content, although TechCrunch remains impressed by the tablet experience on Android. With pricing starting at $399 for a 16 GB model, those looking for an iPad alternative are hoping that momentum at the 7-inch size will help drive developers to better optimize the Android tablet experience and provide a viable competitor for the full-size iPad.

Article Link: Nexus 10 Reviews Hit the Web as Fourth-Generation iPad Sales Begin
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #2
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Maybe someday these companies will be able to collaborate so that this "awesome" technology can become "awesomer" lol

i.e. Lack of ecosystem
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3
FFArchitect
macrumors regular

"Android 4.2 is more stable than ever"
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 PM   #4
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Is it actually that resolution? I heard from some people on the web that it was using Pentile technology so that the effective horizontal resolution ranges between full and half depending on the colors in the image.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 PM   #5
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Nice tablet. But I'll stick to my ipad. If those reviewers talk about the apps like that, them I'm sorry
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #6
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816

AndroidRumors.com?
CristobalHuet is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Gerace
macrumors newbie

Hmm

There is only so many pixels you need in a tablet isn't there?
Gerace is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #8
RDStrong
macrumors member

I think they're right in saying that Google need to offer a consistent experience through their own branded tablet before developers start putting effort into their apps. The range of devices is too large and fragmented for developers to take the Android platform seriously so hopefully this will go some way to rectifying that.

If the Android app store increases in quality then hopefully Apple will take the threat seriously and put some effort into rejuvenating the iOS software (or rather the GUI). In short: competition is good.
RDStrong is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #9
santydolby
macrumors newbie

Nexus 10 harboring HP webOS. Booom!
santydolby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
The Nexus 10, built by go-to Google partner Samsung, feels like it's built for working and playing. It's grippy and rubbery, and the edges have this gentle slope that fits in hands in a variety of ways.
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.
Yvan256 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:17 PM   #11
bushido
macrumors 601

i cant wait to get my Nexus 4! time to try something new still love the apple ecosystem but i fell in love with Google Now and they got some great innovative features coming up
bushido is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:17 PM   #12
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Competition is good.

I don't think that the 10 is as good as the iPad 4, but at $100 less, and with a compelling (but not necessarily as good, depending on your needs) set of features, it's certainly worth a look. Stereo speakers are a definite plus, as is HDMI out.

I still see the iPad 4 as the best option, even given the $100 difference, but this is the first tablet I've considered even worthy to compete in that size range, and it out-Retinas Apple.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 PM   #13
AppleMad98004
macrumors member

I like the competition for Apple in this space now. Surface/Nexus etc....

I hope it kicks Apple in the butt so they will find a way to innovate the user experience and advance the interface. Hopefully.
AppleMad98004 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Celf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
Is it actually that resolution? I heard from some people on the web that it was using Pentile technology so that the effective horizontal resolution ranges between full and half depending on the colors in the image.
Pentile technology is used in some Samsung AMOLED screens, not the PLS LCD's.
Celf is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 PM   #15
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Those phone apps stretched on the 7" tabs will look awesome on a 10" tab

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   47 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #16
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

The design and apps of the ipad + the interface of windows 8 + the customisation of android = the worlds best tablet. I wish the world were less cruel
adildacoolset is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #17
MacSignal
macrumors regular

Competition is good for consumers and maybe especially so for Apple customers.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 PM   #18
aaaaaaron
macrumors regular

The Nexus 7 is not a "relative" success, it's almost up to selling a million a month

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/...llion-a-month/

And while it is true that the so called eco-system is lacking, Google is making a lot of headway with affordably priced products. Think about it, $349 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 compared to a $649 16GB iPhone 5 is such a steal. Android is still developing itself, but is become better and better with each OS update, and it's only a matter of time before they are on par with iOS. I wish more tech companies would take the reasonably price route instead of following Apple's lead in the "premium" market.
aaaaaaron is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:21 PM   #19
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celf View Post
Pentile technology is used in some Samsung AMOLED screens, not the PLS LCD's.
If I can recall correctly, last year Samsung unleashed a 10.1 inch pen tile PLS LCD with the same screen resolution, and promised it to come in 2012. So, here it is. Pentile is cheating
adildacoolset is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:22 PM   #20
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The Nexus 10 feels like Google's open letter to developers. "Look how great Android tablets can be," the company seems to be saying, "if only you'd make great apps!" The Nexus 10's display is every bit the Retina's equal, the build quality is excellent, and it even has a half-decent set of speakers. Android 4.2 is more stable than ever, and Android does a lot of great things iOS simply doesn't. But you take it out of the box, say it's beautiful and fast... then what? Apple's tablet has 250,000-plus other apps that look and work great on a huge, high-res screen, and Android's ecosystem is leagues behind. The Nexus 10 is a great way to watch movies, but there's absolutely no way it's going to replace your laptop the way the iPad could.
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad
KylePowers is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:22 PM   #21
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
No, it is not pentile
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #22
ForzaJuve
macrumors member

The iPad is still better and has more Apps and all, but I think that Apple better be working on something impressive for iOS7 because the gap with Android seems to be getting smaller and smaller.
ForzaJuve is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #23
jarred125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDStrong View Post
I think they're right in saying that Google need to offer a consistent experience through their own branded tablet before developers start putting effort into their apps. The range of devices is too large and fragmented for developers to take the Android platform seriously so hopefully this will go some way to rectifying that.

If the Android app store increases in quality then hopefully Apple will take the threat seriously and put some effort into rejuvenating the iOS software (or rather the GUI). In short: competition is good.
That's exactly what Google is doing right now. Since the release of ICS Google has pushed out a set of standards they would like to see developers go by. It's still the choice of the developer but the standards are there. The ICS to JB transition kept those values in place, but beefed up performance of the OS.
jarred125 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:24 PM   #24
aaaaaaron
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad
I think they are saying this because of the app selection.
aaaaaaron is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:25 PM   #25
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
Nice tablet. But I'll stick to my ipad. If those reviewers talk about the apps like that, them I'm sorry
They also said:
Quote:
Remember when the new iPad shipped and everyone was scrambling to update their apps to support it? There's no need here. The way Android is structured, apps just natively support the higher resolution. We tried dozens of apps, including third-party browsers like Dolphin and lots of different random utilities and games, and we didn't spot a hint of blurry text.
The apps are fine. I won't argue that there aren't more and better apps under iOS, but the gap is becoming quite small with the major exception of games. If you're a gamer, iOS is going to stay your friend for some time at least.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion