Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
I've been using my Mini all day and one of my main concerns was the screen, I have both an iPhone 4S and iPad 3 so have now become accustomed to the retina display but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, the Mini screen is nowhere near as bad as you might first think. It's obviously not retina but it definitely hasn't put me off...I'd suggest looking for yourself before slagging it off, you might be surprised.

I presume you weren't referring to me as "slagging off" the mini's display, as I was doing the opposite! But anyway, I am very pleased to read your comments.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
one thing i'm wondering, if you know you're the 800th person, why are you waiting in line? does a store even carry 800 iPads?

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.

I live here in Florida, and storms/hurricanes are no stranger to these parts. Storms come and go, people heed and people ignore warnings. Thus people end up dying. Death is a fact of life, and world moves on.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I presume you weren't referring to me as "slagging off" the mini's display, as I was doing the opposite! But anyway, I am very pleased to read your comments.

No not at all...wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just think people should check it out for themselves before passing judgement. I find that a lot with Apple products, sometimes you don't really get it until you have a hands on experience...it's weird!!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple FTW!

Another amazing magical product; another amazing magical product debut!

Apple never ceases to astound. They are the most innovative company in the history of the world, bringing more joy to more people than anyone ever before.

Since Apple hit the scene, productivity has skyrocketed, because workers can actually USE their technology, instead of spending 5 or 6 hours each workday trying to get rid of bugs and viruses.

Equal parts technology and liberal arts, the world is finally realizing that because Apple products Just Work, the majority can now Think Different.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

:rolleyes:

Selling out doesn't mean it was a huge success. All it means at this point is that they sold what they had. We have no idea how many they had. Maybe it was a big hit and maybe it wasn't, but that can't be determined with the limited info at this time. Maybe they only got 5 devices and sold all 5.

euphemus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Does anyone here think for a second that Apple doesn't precisely engineer stock levels in the first weeks of a launch so that there are reports that 'xyz product has sold out'? When iPad 3 launched, my local Apple store had crateloads of stock from day 1 but they were still handing out tickets to 'reserve' devices and an empty line was roped-off...you know, just in case there was a stampede to grab the last iPad from the pile of 4000. Creating the impression of short supply, when you control the largest electronic supply chain in the world is, well, kind of ballsy.

I generally love Apple hardware but the iPad mini has nothing new, nothing innovative and nothing exciting about it. It is rushed-out product designed to fill a demographic segment.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.

You're not seriously suggesting retail stores should all shut down, are you? That would do wonders for the economy. :rolleyes:

But since you're so fond of being judgmental, how's this:

How dare you be spending your time reading MacRumours on a day when people are struggling against Superstorm Sandy?! Disgusting! You should be busy making donations, or on a flight to the East Coast to help out, or at the very least reading about the storm on a general news site! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I generally love Apple hardware but the iPad mini has nothing new, nothing innovative and nothing exciting about it. It is rushed-out product designed to fill a demographic segment.

I wish all rushed out products where as good!

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
i think apple built like 15 white ipad mini's

they aren't selling out first because they are more popular, they are selling out first because there are so few out there, for whatever reason

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I think there was a lot of pent up demand for a smaller iPad and that has been met with this release. I had a chance to play with one at an Apple store earlier today and it is a very nice device. I had some concerns about the display but after seeing it I think it's ok. For reading books it will be 100 times better than the full size iPad because it is unbelievably light.

----------

I wonder if the black iPad mini will scratch easily? How many complaints are we going to get now?...:eek:

Same anodised aluminium case as the iPhone5 so it will scratch as easily.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012

Here we go again--because you aren't excited about the iPad mini, there's "nothing exciting about it." :rolleyes:

I'm excited and I'm not even in the market for one yet (I'm saving up for a shiny new iMac. :D)

And "a rushed-out product"? Hardly. People have been saying Apple should sell a smaller iPad since before the original Kindle Fire arrived. They launched it when it was ready. If they wanted to rush it out, it would have been announced before the new Fire was.

----------

I wish all rushed out products where as good!

Lol!!!!:D

Last edited:

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I don't see what there is to be excited about.. Honestly, it's a smaller form factor with 1.5 year hardware inside. Maybe I'm missing something.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How many in line were Asians buying them all up for resell?

I'm sure some, but there were others, as well. I walked past around 11:30 and could see what appeared to be legitimate end user buyers. The line was still a block long.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

Well what do you expect people to do, stay at home and beat themselves with birch twigs. Life has to go on and I'm sure the people queuing were glad to get away from the reality of their situation for a few hours. There are people all over the world dying for lack of clean water, simple medicines or in pointless conflicts, human existance can be a nightmare so what do you suggest we all do?

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

Lol you're getting played by Apple. Only 800 people and it sold out? That's probably only 1,000 units sold at one of their largest and most important stores.

Typical apple though. Deliever a shortage to make the demand seem higher.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
It's disgusting....I'm an Apple guy and to even care about this now with all that is happening in the Tri-State is gluttony.

Wrong sin. Your post sounds more like envy to me. As for what others do with their personal time and money, that's frankly none of your concern. ;)

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Well what do you expect people to do, stay at home and beat themselves with birch twigs. Life has to go on and I'm sure the people queuing were glad to get away from the reality of their situation for a few hours. There are people all over the world dying for lack of clean water, simple medicines or in pointless conflicts, human existance can be a nightmare so what do you suggest we all do?

Be a decent human being and help out around the city that you live in which was just destroyed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.