Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
My faithful LG BD390 network Blu-Ray player has finally bit the dust it seems... It won't recognize DVD's or Blu-Ray discs. It has the latest firmware, and I suspect the laser has finally failed - as I disassembled the unit, and cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth and some isopropyl alcohol.

I stream content from my 2012 MacBook Pro using EyeConnect - so finding a good replacement that supports DLNA is most important.

Any recommendations?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Oppo is an always a recommended brand. The new BDP-103 is worth looking at.

Not nearly as good when they allowed full BD ISO's to be streamed - but dropping that feature was beyond their control (Blu-Ray threatened to revoke their license if they didn't remove the feature).

Also the new PS3 Super Slim would be a decent alternative too.

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I would love to get an OPPO but with a price point starting at $500 they're not quite in my budget. I'm really not looking to spend more than $300, but under $200 is preferable.

djharris

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Virginia, USA
I agree with the PS3. Firmware is updated to support new titles and features more often and for a longer period of time than stand-alone players (Not sure why this is an issue with blu-ray, but apparently it is) and Netflix and a few other streaming services are well supported, and it works with DLNA too.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
What is the BD player going to be connected to? TV (what size)? Receiver?

Wired or wireless?

Do you need 3D?

Do you need bitstream or is PCM only acceptable?

Do you upscale standard DVD's often?

Other than DLNA? Do you need any other features?

If you are into gaming, the PS3 would be a good option. Otherwise, I would look at the Panasonic players. I have three (one is at the in-laws) and they are all great.

However, if you can swing an Oppo, they would be my first choice. Maybe a second-hand BDP-83 could be found in your budget. I have both the BDP-83 and the BDP-93.

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Ended up going with the LG BD620... Not really a gamer. So far, no problems with it.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I bought a cheap USB BluRay drive, and I'm busy ripping all my DVDs and BluRays, so I can play them on my Apple TV, iPad, and MacBook Air. Who needs DLNA when you have Home Sharing and Airplay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.