Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:34 PM   #26
peskaa
macrumors 68020

Not sure why the article lists this as available from the UK online store, as it isn't there as of 22:34 GMT...
peskaa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:35 PM   #27
REBELinBLUE
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
I've had one since June and mine still works fine.
I got mine in June and it started failing last week (only uploading part of the data, strange error messages etc).

Took it back to the Nike shop on monday and as soon as I mentioned the app complaining about "corrupt data" that was the end of the conversation, the guy just got me a replacement. None of the usual stuff you expect (did you try reinstalling the app, did you do factory reset etc); which makes me suspicious that there is a known issue with them.

Yeah it is a bit of a gimmick really, but it is really meant as a motivational tool I think, not as a replacement for a GPS watch etc. I got mine after I was out of action running wise to keep me motivated (hey I'm a geek, I like numbers ) and it generally worked, I found that I was walking to places that I would normally jump on the bus for.

Last edited by REBELinBLUE; Oct 31, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
REBELinBLUE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:57 PM   #28
aj350z
macrumors member

First Fuel Band still

I've had the fuelband since it first came out. The wife pre-ordered it for me and I have been loving it everyday(Feb 22). Just reached the 800K Milestone marker!!! Have not had any problems with it. Now with that in mind the only concern i have is how long the material will stay fit with me having to flex it over my wrist everyday. I have noticed a "bulge" in the material.

The app is wonderful. I am a 8th grade math teacher and the data i collect actually gives the kids real world data that is meaningful to them. I am hoping this one lasts for a couple more years but i am curious as how Nike will treat them when the batteries start losing charging time.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:12 PM   #29
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesdayton View Post
I wish it had the inactivity timer and sleeptracking alarm of the failed Jawbone Up.
The new fitbit will have an alarm. It already tracks your sleeping.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
I like the fitbit better myself except that its not a bracelet. I lost two FBs because of that so went FuelBand. I wish they'd make a bracelet style.

Only thing I hate about Fuel Band is that it's constantly under reporting my activity. But it keeps me motivated just the same. I lost 30lbs & 3in off waist thanks to it & better eating habits. Also improved my passive heartbeat per min & heart rate recovery. Maybe I'm a sheep for buying one but I'm a healthy one.
Do you use the belt clip?
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:14 PM   #30
iMule
macrumors 6502

It's incredible. However, it doesn't represent the weights lifted. Some goon could beat their meat and get more Fuel than I could in an hour lifting weights. Nike had a great idea and I hope to see more of my friends buying one.
iMule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:34 PM   #31
cav23j
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBELinBLUE View Post
I got mine in June and it started failing last week (only uploading part of the data, strange error messages etc).

which makes me suspicious that there is a known issue with them.

mine started failing last week also and i had it for like 6 months
sounds similar to what happened

something to do with the last firmware update that is affecting a certain amount number of devices I believe is the culprit

Nike can't figure out why because it is only affecting certain one's

Last edited by cav23j; Oct 31, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
cav23j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:15 AM   #32
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnns2000 View Post
........ It can motivate you when it works, ..........
motivate to what? i never got the point of it. what am I missing?
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:36 AM   #33
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post

Yes, but both still popped out while jogging... the whole thing belt clip w/ FB in it. Plus also a PITA to keep up with b/c you have to remember to remove the clip each time you change pants. The nice thing about a bracelet is that its on your arm 24/7 except charging. It becomes a part of you so that when it's off you have a visual reminder to put it back on.

Question for those who've had their Fuel Band since near the launch: did you at some point notice earning fewer points for the same routine? Curious b/c, for example, I do an 8mi run/walk interval on Sundays. I use to easily get 4-5K points. Then after a required firmware update my points decreased 30%. Nike exchanged my band but the new one also gets me fewer points.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:48 AM   #34
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

I've had a FuelBand since the first day it was released in the UK (1st May) and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made in my entire life.

Absolutely love it. Lost 20 pounds in weight, gone from 26% body fat down to 10%. I'm the fittest I've been for 5 years.

It's not for everyone and my wife gave me so much heat for buying it, but now she wants one too - she's seen how good it has been for me.
JaySoul is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:31 PM   #35
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The new fitbit will have an alarm. It already tracks your sleeping.

----------

It does have and a larm, but it is not as the one in the Up. The alarm in the Up wakes you only in the light phase of sleep (ie when you will wake up more alert.) Also it has a function that can alert you when you have spend an specific amount of time sedentary.

The Fitbit and Fuelband are great devices, but miss that kind of functionality.
charlesdayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:38 PM   #36
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesdayton View Post
It does have and a larm, but it is not as the one in the Up. The alarm in the Up wakes you only in the light phase of sleep (ie when you will wake up more alert.) Also it has a function that can alert you when you have spend an specific amount of time sedentary.

The Fitbit and Fuelband are great devices, but miss that kind of functionality.
One feature I do miss about the UP was the sedentary alarm.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:47 PM   #37
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
One feature I do miss about the UP was the sedentary alarm.
I still don't get how Jawbone messed things so much. They have been promising a fixed version for a very long time. At least they refunded costumers.

I wonder if the Sedentary/phase wake features are TM by Jawbone. Fitbit could easily implement both features on the Fitbit One with just a software update as it already has the sensors and alarm.
charlesdayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:43 PM   #38
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
motivate to what? i never got the point of it. what am I missing?
Seems it's a sort of high-definition pedometer. It quantifies your activity level for the day, making it easier to set goals and know what's needed to meet them. I started using a simple pedometer for the last couple months, and increased my activity 40% by monitoring quantifiable increases in small activities; at the end of the day, I knew if I still had more to do and could easily reach my 10,000 steps per day goal (even if that meant walking a mile at midnight).

Knowing the motivating power of quantifying activity, I'm psyched to get this or some comparable "high-def pedometer". Having stopped using the cheap one (not keen on using something loudly labeled with my prior employer), I'm looking at making a step up - if only by finding a prior-gen iPod Nano at a pawn shop.
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:07 AM   #39
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Seems it's a sort of high-definition pedometer. It quantifies your activity level for the day, making it easier to set goals and know what's needed to meet them. I started using a simple pedometer for the last couple months, and increased my activity 40% by monitoring quantifiable increases in small activities; at the end of the day, I knew if I still had more to do and could easily reach my 10,000 steps per day goal (even if that meant walking a mile at midnight).

Knowing the motivating power of quantifying activity, I'm psyched to get this or some comparable "high-def pedometer". Having stopped using the cheap one (not keen on using something loudly labeled with my prior employer), I'm looking at making a step up - if only by finding a prior-gen iPod Nano at a pawn shop.
I still don't see why I would need to increase the amount I walk per day but anyway. What I find rather useful are heart rate monitors because at a certain age it's more important to limit your peak heart rate because overdoing this is what limits your activity. Does the Nike have a heart rate monitor built in?
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:16 PM   #40
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
I still don't see why I would need to increase the amount I walk per day but anyway.
The more you move, the more calories you burn.

Don't think there's a heartrate monitor in it. That's solving a different problem.
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #41
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Is it just me, or would that make a bad ass finger ring?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion