Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
What constitutes HD these days? Looking at the ipad mini screen res, or the iphone 5 they look to be HD to me. I don't get that one at all. 1080p is HD why then?? Cause we are told it is? BS, then 4k is true and real HD.

35mm film which a ton of movies were shot on has be to be scaled WAY down for 1080p so 1080p is crappy then :p

Last edited by a moderator:

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
What constitutes HD these days? Looking at the ipad mini screen res, or the iphone 5 they look to be HD to me. I don't get that one at all. 1080p is HD why then?? Cause we are told it is? BS, then 4k is true and real HD.

35mm film which a ton of movies were shot on has be to be scaled WAY down for 1080p so 1080p is crappy then :p

Hell, even YouTube offers 4k!

RinCa

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
It's not Amazon's fault for listing the mini as having 1 speaker. They got that information from Apple's spec page. So it's Apple that needs to called out for false advertising.

In fact, EVERY ipad has stereo speakers but Apple has yet to acknowledge it on their website.
I believe the reason they don't point it out is their implementation of it is horrible. It is not a "premium" feature at any price.

Speculation aside, the fact remains:
No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD than ANY iPad.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm definitely going to call BS on this one. There's no way in hell it's a true stereo speaker setup. Maybe the reviewer in question heard sound coming from both grills as sound echoed through the chassis or maybe he's as confused as the people who claim one of the speakers on their iPhone isn't working.

Look at the facts available at this time.
-The image on Apple's web site points to 1 grill location and labels it "speaker." If it had stereo speakers, they would have the lines pointing to both grills and marketing surely wouldn't miss the opportunity to say "stereo speakers". Better yet, marketing types would probably throw some color into it with "high fidelity", "immersive", or other BS lingo.
-The headphone jack notes that it's stereo. Duh! Why worry about that and not note that they addressed one of the criticisms when compared to the competition?
-The specs table also lists "speaker" in the singular form. All other products (iMac, MBA, MBP, etc) list "stereo speakers" in their specs grid. The only ones that don't? The Mini and the Pro, that have mono speaker setups.

Feedback from the field is:
-This guy stating that it's stereo, and claims that Apple confirmed it (no cited source).
-Others who asked while participating in the hands-on sessions who asked the "handlers" of the devices and were told it's not stereo.

Not to mention the fact that even if it were stereo, putting both on one side would just be flat out dumb. A bit like buying a 7.1 theater system for the house and setting all the speakers in one corner of the room.

I'll eat crow if stereo turns out to be true, but I don't think it will happen. Oh, and I wouldn't count BS stereo claims (i.e. single speaker with dual ports, dual voice coil drivers on a single cone, the fact that it can interpret a stereo signal and create a "stereo space", or any crap like that).
The front page here had the story about iFixit confirming stereo speakers, well before you even posted. Enjoy the bird.

I guess Apple confirming it is not enough for some folks. :confused:

Mike

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Sneaky move by Apple though to get Amazon "off-track"

apple doesn't mention stereo speakers at the event, Amazon "falsely announces" mono-speaker,,, Its revealed later that the mini does have stereo. speakers... Amazons face goes red.

Reckon Apple deliberately doesn't mention these things ? Maybe in a reason to "trip up other companies" ? As this is not a first.....

Remember when they didn't mention the micro-SIM in the iPhone 5?

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
The front page here had the story about iFixit confirming stereo speakers, well before you even posted. Enjoy the bird.

Mike

I'll have to eat that crow tomorrow. I had a big dinner! lol

That blows me away, really. Seems Apple missed an opportunity to do what they normally do best, create a huge ruckus over a "new" feature to them that others already have. How did they miss this one?

Also, Apple hadn't confirmed anything at the time. There was just a tweet from the author of an article making the claim, substantiating it by simply tweeting that Apple confirmed it. Hell, I can do that! (Of course I'd have to create a new Twitter account since I realized how useless it was long, long ago.)

So I guess that's cool then. When you watch a movie you can have either two right speakers or two left speakers. :rolleyes: In that case it would probably be of better use if they actually had one as a low frequency speaker and the other for mids & highs.

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
While you're correct about recording, I'd argue that the term is appropriate for mono playback over two speakers. If you don't like the term, what would you suggest as an alternative?

The alternative is mono. It does not matter how many speakers are playing audio when you determine mono, stereo, 2.1, 5.1 surround etc. These distinctions are made on the basis of the number of discrete channels of audio in both playback and recording. If I have a mono radio in my car, but have four speakers, I still have mono audio. It does not become quad mono. It may sound appropriate, but generally one doesn't simply redefine technical terms based on an intuitive sense of how appropriate it sounds.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008

Mike

The problem is that iFixit calling them stereo speakers is a bit of a stretch and misnomer.

The13thDoctor

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
@TheRoyalDoctor
It's not Amazon's fault for listing the mini as having 1 speaker. They got that information from Apple's spec page. So it's Apple that needs to called out for false advertising.

In fact, EVERY ipad has stereo speakers but Apple has yet to acknowledge it on their website.
I believe the reason they don't point it out is their implementation of it is horrible. It is not a "premium" feature at any price.

Speculation aside, the fact remains:
No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD than ANY iPad.

Wow...bad troll. First of all the iPad never had stereo speakers, and how is it false advertising?
If they claimed that it came with a unicorn, THEN that is false advertising.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I guess facts can't penetrate the bubble you're living in. :rolleyes:

Read and learn:

Exactly. :)

Just because someone else is holds the same opinion you do, doesn't mean you're right. You can both be wrong.

EDTV is *not* 720p, EDTV is:
480p (NTSC) or 576p (PAL)
Enhanced-definition television, or extended-definition television (EDTV) is an American Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) marketing shorthand term for certain digital television (DTV) formats and devices. Specifically, this term defines formats that deliver a picture superior to that of standard-definition television (SDTV) but not as detailed as high-definition television (HDTV).

The term refers to devices capable of displaying 480-line or 576-line signals in progressive scan, commonly referred to as 480p (NTSC) and 576p (PAL) respectively, as opposed to interlaced scanning, commonly referred to as 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL). High-motion is optional for EDTV.[1]

Maybe you should let the facts penetrate *your* bubble? :rolleyes:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The alternative is mono. It does not matter how many speakers are playing audio when you determine mono, stereo, 2.1, 5.1 surround etc. These distinctions are made on the basis of the number of discrete channels of audio in both playback and recording. If I have a mono radio in my car, but have four speakers, I still have mono audio. It does not become quad mono. It may sound appropriate, but generally one doesn't simply redefine technical terms based on an intuitive sense of how appropriate it sounds.

I guess we just don't agree. I do audio for a living and I hear the term "dual mono" used that way all the time, particularly in reference to devices as opposed to speaker setups for home listening.

Last edited:

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Even more to the point, most iTunes music, in particular, is DRM-free and works on any device that can play the format (so, pretty much any device that can play digital music).

Even more to the point of the advertisement, they've used what would be a fair reason to buy *content* from Amazon (it can be viewed/used on a wide variety of platforms), and mistakenly assigned it as a reason to buy a *device* which can't view content from a wide variety of sources.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
No visible (or tangible) difference is based off my experience from using an iPhone 4S for a year, and an iPhone 5 for roughly a month now. Is that not good enough for you?

Are you telling me that you notice a difference in touch sensitivity or display quality between the 4S and 5? That would be interesting as it would conflict with Anandtech's review (as well as a number of other reviews), all of which say there is no discernible improvement in the quality or sensitivity of the iPhone 5's display.

I am saying that a thinner display does not matter in this context because the weight and size of the display/product is not what we are discussing here. The quality of the display is what we are discussing here, and a thinner display does not contribute to that.

Actually, it does. The lamination process, and new touch layer process remove layers and air gaps, each of which add a small amount of refraction contribute toward glare. Removing those extra layers and gaps contributes toward display quality.

That said, if you had a good display before hand (which the iPhone 4 & 4s both did), the difference won't be huge, and may not be noticeable depending on your particular viewing circumstances.

Last edited:

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Waited? Was there some reason for them to expect that the info Apple posted on their own website and that if they waited it would change or be clarified?

Apple says "speaker" and makes no mention of stereo on their website. I just don't see how people thinking it's one speaker (mono) is the fault of anyone but Apple.

Apple says "speaker". Amazon (incorrectly) assumes that means 'mono', and this is the fault of Apple? :confused:

If you're not sure, you don't include it in an ad, or you hold off on the ad until you *are* sure. It's really not that hard. (Or at least it *shouldn't* be.)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
The problem is that iFixit calling them stereo speakers is a bit of a stretch and misnomer.
Please. It's not that hard to accept.

It matters not whether they suck or not; they are stereo speakers. Not up for debate.

Michael

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Apple says "speaker". Amazon (incorrectly) assumes that means 'mono', and this is the fault of Apple?

Yes. If it were one "speaker" as apple says on their website (and shows in the picture, with a single arrow pointing to one side), it couldn't possibly be anything but mono. The incorrect part is saying speaker when there are actually two.

There was no reason for Amazon not to be sure, are other companies supposed to assume the info Apple posts is wrong and wait for a correction?

I know there are a lot of Apple apologists out there, but it's a bit bizarre to blame others when Apple has incorrect or at the very least misleading info on their website.

RinCa

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
False advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising

Wow...bad troll. First of all the iPad never had stereo speakers, and how is it false advertising?
If they claimed that it came with a unicorn, THEN that is false advertising.

HOUND DOG NEEDS TO EAT CROW

False advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising.

There are 2 speakers in the ipads. Why hasn't Apple ever pointed this out before?

They don't want to draw attention to the fact that their implementation of stereo speakers sound like crap!

Still refusing to believe it? Ask Phil yourself, schiller@apple.com

ipad stereo speakers, ifixit
oyJ2qQEXMlJMFPjX.huge

ipad2 stereo speakers, ifixit
baMIVUBZVrlnKI6S.large

RinCa

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
schiller@apple.com

Hi Phil,

All 9.7" iPads have stereo speakers under the grille, right?

Then why do you advertise them as the singular form speaker?

Thanks,

YOUR NAME HERE

----------

Those aren't stereo speakers, that's two speakers playing mono audio. Number of speakers and number of channels played back are two different things.

Count the wires and look at how the sound waves are isolated from each other. Nobody would go through the extra effort for mono.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Count the wires? Look at how the sound waves are isolated? Are you joking?

You'll have separate wires if they are sending different frequencies to the two speakers. That's still not mono.

Nobody has ever said that any of the earlier iPads have stereo. You're going to claim they're all wrong based on a couple teardown photos?

RinCa

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Count the wires? Look at how the sound waves are isolated? Are you joking?

You'll have separate wires if they are sending different frequencies to the two speakers. That's still not mono.

Nobody has ever said that any of the earlier iPads have stereo. You're going to claim they're all wrong based on a couple teardown photos?

If they are sending different frequencies to the 2 speakers then yes it is mono.
If they are sending different channels(Left & Right) to the 2 speakers then it's stereo.

Apple has never divulged the ipads have stereo speakers. Only until someone directly asked about the speakers on the mini did Schiller admit it. Apple still doesn't admit it on the spec page. Why?

I say, ask Schiller and find out. I did and am waiting his reply.

Also, anybody that has an opened unit can tap into the speaker wires and confirm if it's stereo or not. It would be great if someone would do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.