Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My overall first impression is the speed hike, boy is this thing fast, a really noticeable performance hit. Multi apps are smooth, the typing is faster and more accurate, in short this is what the ipad3 should have been..For anybody who thinks this is just a small update, you really need to try one, it flies, and I'm not so easily impressed. It does make you wonder why this wasn't the three, and completely explains why Apple have pulled it from sale....Head to head, the three just wouldn't stand a chance up against this.

Got to love the placebo effect.

I took my 3 to the Apple store and used a 4 side by side today.

When using iOS 6, both devices were identical in OS speed and fluidity. There is ZERO difference in UI performance/animations. Yes, apps will load a second or two quicker (especially the kind of games which Apple never preload on demo units), but we won't see the power of that A6X for a wee while yet.

To sit there and say there is a massive difference in performance and that the 3 feels slower, at this moment, is wrong. I'm sure iPhoto loads and edits quicker and iMovie renders faster, but using both side by side, going through stock apps showed no difference in performance.

Using an iPhone 3GS next to a 4S or 5 is a huge performance gap, noticeable side by side. iPad 3 vs 4, no. When the apps come, and they will along with updates to existing ones, then we'll see the A6X's power.

However, due to the nature of iOS development, and the need to cater for older devices, we won't see as big a gap initially. Infinity Blade 2 on 4 vs 4S is a great example. Now though, a year later, compare NFS Most Wanted on the 4 and 4S. The 4 version is pretty poor and lacks the graphical effects that the 4S and 5 throw around.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Do you guys have Backlight bleed issues? There was a screen posted by a user who's screen looked just awful.

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
gave my iPad3 away.. bought an iPad4, mainly cuz I hope it´s faster when transferring movies, etc from our NAS :cool:
will arrive next week, cheers

With the prices the 3 is going for, that was probably a less painful decision.:(

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I do like my iPad 4. I wonder what the iPad 5 will bring. I guess if it's amazing I can always sell mine since Apple products do hold value well. The lighting port is quite small.

Overall I'm glad I went for the iPad 4 over the mini - the non-retina was a bit of a turn off but ahh well. I hope everyone's happy with their purchase. :):apple:

Danmoore03

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
I upgraded from a first gen ipad to a ipad 3 four days before the apple event. Best buy was kind enough to give me all my money back, as they should. The three was a huge upgrade to what I was using. I received the four today from apple and this thing is fast, didn't have much time at all with the three, but definitely worth the price, screen is beautiful, everything runs great and smooth, no hiccups at all.

Only thing I'm concerned about is my home button feels kind of loose, has a slight clicking noise when I push it. Debating on taking it back into apple.

Feel free to ask any questions or test to run, I'll try my best to help!

guyjol

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I upgraded from a first gen ipad to a ipad 3 four days before the apple event. Best buy was kind enough to give me all my money back, as they should. The three was a huge upgrade to what I was using. I received the four today from apple and this thing is fast, didn't have much time at all with the three, but definitely worth the price, screen is beautiful, everything runs great and smooth, no hiccups at all.

Only thing I'm concerned about is my home button feels kind of loose, has a slight clicking noise when I push it. Debating on taking it back into apple.

Feel free to ask any questions or test to run, I'll try my best to help!

Same impression here. When I started using it I was shocked by how everything was so fast.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
For those upgrading from the 3 TO 4 why did you?Have the 3 and i'll likely purchase the 5 redesigned iPad. Sooner or later they will be too much tablets in the second hand market to get a decent price on them.

Couldn't justify the slight/Minor spec bump. Plus Apple could of changed it to iPad mini style but didn't want to anger 3 owners/ wanted Mini to sell.

After my next two purchases NEW iMac(2013 version)/slate 5th Gen iPad I'm done with this upgrade yearly nonsense!! I want to see speed differences and start getting my money worth for my products instead of making Apple more money.

felch

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
Side by side with my iPad 2 things open so much faster. Dynamic range seems higher as well. So far it's running as cool as my iPad 2 and there is zero backlight bleed.

So glad I skipped the ipad3

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
For those upgrading from the 3 TO 4 why did you?

For faster transfers from my server and I hoped iMovie renders would be much faster.

Got the faster transfers, but iMovie renders about the same when I tested, maybe 10% faster at best so far.

The surprise was how much faster web pages load, instantly it seems.

The 3 is a fine device waiting for a 5/6 is not a bad idea if you dont want another device right now.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
For faster transfers from my server and I hoped iMovie renders would be much faster.

Got the faster transfers, but iMovie renders about the same when I tested, maybe 10% faster at best so far.

The 3 is a fine device waiting for a 5/6 is not a bad idea if you dont want another device right now.

Cheers mate. I i'll sit tight for the 5 considering i just bought the 3 on the 1st of August 2012.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Mine got delivered at 4:22p (just under the "no later than 4:30p" time).

It's still sitting in the box on the kitchen table :D Stoked to play with it tonight though. Got a couple of racing games that choked the 3rd gen a touch.

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
So far I love it. There are a few magazine (newsstand) apps that seem to be incompatible with the iPad 4, but I'm sure they will update them soon. Other than that, it is great. Faster, more fluid, and the wifi really is faster too.

My main reason for getting it was because I was out of space on my 32gig iPad 3, I'd regretted not getting the 64gig version from the outset. So I figured I'd upgrade.

The one thing is when I plug it in to my PC's USB port (to sync or whatever) it says "not charging". Does it NEED 12W to charge? Not a big deal, i rarely plug it in to my computer.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The one thing is when I plug it in to my PC's USB port (to sync or whatever) it says "not charging". Does it NEED 12W to charge? Not a big deal, i rarely plug it in to my computer.

Many USB ports don't provide voltage to spec. I know late model MBPs do, but even then, it's far slower charging vs. using the supplied 10/12w wall wart :)

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Oh as for the speed difference... i was shocked at how fast the iPad 4 updated the pictures of all the books in my iBooks collection. I have 300 or so books in there, and on my iPad 3 it would take a few minutes to update the picture of each cover for each book. On the iPad 4, as soon as I opened up iBooks the covers updated faster than I could scroll down, it finished updating all 300 or so books in less than 10 seconds.

This is a BIG difference in speed. The first significant speed difference I've seen (I just got my ipad 4 setup and restored my stuff on it, so i've had very little time using it).

ppone

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
I don't get why people will think iPhone 5 is much faster than the 4s, but the iPad 3 is the same as iPad 4.

Are people just upgrading to have a new form factor so they can show off to their friends.

I think this is all in your head.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010

me too... I have gotten a bit addicted to watching movies/tv-shows in bed. when transferring from the NAS any boost in speed is welcome... and also I only had the 32GB iPad3, I know now that 64 is the way to go
and maybe 1080p mkv:s will run without hickups aswell...

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I can see the iPad 4 is much faster than the iPad 3 but I don't feel the necessary need to upgrade as I know that the iPad 5 will be the big update with a thinner body, lighter, & even faster so although I am jealous of the fact that the iPad 4 is much faster than the 3 I feel I can live with it for another year.

The iPad 3 still produces the wow factor for me every time I use it so I will wait for the 5.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
My new "4" is running cool, and very fast. I cannot wait for more App updates to take advantage of the speed and graphics.
At the local Best Buy were myself, and 8 others at 8am. Most wanted mini's. I have no interest in going backwards spec wise for something that still doesn't fit in most jackets, or a mens sports jacket- IF IT WON'T FIT into a pocket you have to carry it and you might as well get "The 4"... IMO

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
How is PDF rendering on the 4 in iBooks? On the 3 it is really noticable particularly if there are illustrations. You can watch the sectors improve in clarity which is unpleasant.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Got mine an hour ago and been playing on it since and no no bleeding issue for me.

Got mine two hours ago and I love it absolute perfect flawless and a big improvement for me over the 3. the Wi-Fi reception is much better on the ipad 4 than it was on ipad 3.

redspear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
How is PDF rendering on the 4 in iBooks? On the 3 it is really noticable particularly if there are illustrations. You can watch the sectors improve in clarity which is unpleasant.

Very fast...

I'm so happy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.