Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anfield11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I have searched the forums but can't find the answer. I can get Netflix on my iPad 2, but can't find an Airplay icon to send it to my HDTV? Help?

Gromet

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Netflix on iPad or the apple tv do not count as a device for Netflix...

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
Forgive me for being a little late to this thread, but I would like to know if it's possible to watch Netflix on the iPad via the Netflix app while at the same time stream only the audio to an Airplay speaker?

Thanks.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Forgive me for being a little late to this thread, but I would like to know if it's possible to watch Netflix on the iPad via the Netflix app while at the same time stream only the audio to an Airplay speaker?

Thanks.

Absolutely, I do it all the time.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I have searched the forums but can't find the answer. I can get Netflix on my iPad 2, but can't find an Airplay icon to send it to my HDTV? Help?

Does airplay require an apple tv? Simply a Smart tv?

Stupid question, don't know much about it - thanks!

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
Since none of the replies which followed my question actually answer my question, I would like to reword what I said before for clarity.

I have an iPad 3 with iOS 6 and the Netflix app. I do not have an Apple TV, nor do I want one, nor do I even own an Airport speaker yet. The reason I asked the question in this thread is because my kids often use the Netflix app on my iPad to watch videos on the iPad, but the internal speaker of the iPad is often too weak even at full volume to hear clearly in a noisy room. So to get around that problem I'm thinking it may be possible to use an Airplay speaker.

In other words, can I watch Netflix videos on my iPad via the Netflix app but at the same time route the audio only on the Netflix app to an airport speaker? I am not thinking about "mirroring" Netflix output to an HDTV. I want to continue watching Netflix on the iPad, but only have the audio exported outside the iPad to and Airplay speaker.

To eliminate any wild speculation, I would like to put forth my question to those of you who both use Netflix on the iPad and who also own an Airplay speaker. Could you please fire up the Netflix app on your iPad and then see if you can route the audio to your Airplay speaker?

Thanks.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Is there a delay in audio over AirPlay like there is over Bluetooth ?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Does airplay require an apple tv? Simply a Smart tv?

Stupid question, don't know much about it - thanks!
AirPlay Video requires an Apple TV. AirPlay Audio requires at least an Airport Express or AirPlay enabled device (like a dock).

Since none of the replies which followed my question actually answer my question, I would like to reword what I said before for clarity.

I have an iPad 3 with iOS 6 and the Netflix app. I do not have an Apple TV, nor do I want one, nor do I even own an Airport speaker yet. The reason I asked the question in this thread is because my kids often use the Netflix app on my iPad to watch videos on the iPad, but the internal speaker of the iPad is often too weak even at full volume to hear clearly in a noisy room. So to get around that problem I'm thinking it may be possible to use an Airplay speaker.

In other words, can I watch Netflix videos on my iPad via the Netflix app but at the same time route the audio only on the Netflix app to an airport speaker? I am not thinking about "mirroring" Netflix output to an HDTV. I want to continue watching Netflix on the iPad, but only have the audio exported outside the iPad to and Airplay speaker.

To eliminate any wild speculation, I would like to put forth my question to those of you who both use Netflix on the iPad and who also own an Airplay speaker. Could you please fire up the Netflix app on your iPad and then see if you can route the audio to your Airplay speaker?

Thanks.
It works just the way you want it to. I just played a Netflix video and AirPlayed it to my Airport Express speakers. Video and audio were in sync.

Is there a delay in audio over AirPlay like there is over Bluetooth ?
No, iOS syncs the audio and video.

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
AirPlay Audio requires at least an Airport Express or AirPlay enabled device (like a dock). It works just the way you want it to. I just played a Netflix video and AirPlayed it to my Airport Express speakers.

Meaning, you have a dedicated "Airplay" speaker?

I have an Airport Extreme base station, but I've not yet decided on what Airplay speaker to purchase. That's why posted here, so I could confirm that an Airplay speaker would do what I wanted to do.

Okay, one last question. Have you found that you can play audio from any iPad app to your Airplay speaker? Or does it work only with some apps?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Meaning, you have a dedicated "Airplay" speaker?

I have an Airport Extreme base station, but I've not yet decided on what Airplay speaker to purchase. That's why posted here, so I could confirm that an Airplay speaker would do what I wanted to do.
No, I have an actual Airport Express that does AirPlay Audio only. It is what started "AirPlay" long before Apple called it that (back then it was AirTunes). My setup in that particular location is AirPort Express > 3.5mm stereo cable > Tivoli Speakers. Dedicated AirPlay speakers (with AirPlay built in) use the same system so it'll work the same.

Okay, one last question. Have you found that you can play audio from any iPad app to your Airplay speaker? Or does it work only with some apps?
Yes, you can play audio from any app as iOS's AirPlay Audio is also available system wide (via multi-tasking tray, double click home button > swipe right twice). Meaning, you'll hear mail, text, any audible notifications also come through your AirPlay speakers. However, if you have an app that is written for AirPlay it'll only send it's audio through to your AirPlay speakers. That is, of course, unless you enable the system wide AirPlay. Sounds confusing but makes sense once you play with it.

Multi-tasking Tray AirPlay Button

photojan06161738.png

Options when it's tapped. I also have an AppleTV. Master Bedroom is my Airport Express.

photojan06161750.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.