Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Why would iPhone 5 users be crying? The 5 is noticeably, noticeably faster than the 4S. The iPad 3 wasn't at all noticeably faster than the iPad 2 (heck, I didn't think it was at all faster). It comes as no surprise that Apple would refresh it.

The iPhone 5's GPU doesn't need to be anywhere near the speed of iPad 4's, since it's not pushing anywhere near that number of pixels.

I think he was getting at the iPad 3 being ahead of the iPhone 5 in the chart shown at the start of the article.

Maybe.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Agreed!! My 3rd Gen iPad was an excellent upgrade, and the 5th gen will be excellent as well, especially seeing how good the 4th gen is.

Agreed! However I do really hope they do away with the LG screens in the iPad 5. The LG screen in the ipad 4 is really a step down from the truly amazing screen in the iPad 3. The color accuracy is quite poor in the LG screen.

:(

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
i held the new new iPad (4) today, and i noticed that it was much warmer than the new iPad (3) :(

ok, twice the power of its precedessor, but with a new compromise on comfort again :(

Wow, I hope that is because the store displays are on all the time running demos. Anyone have a new iPad4 notice if it runs hotter than the iPad3. My friend has an iPad3 and I thought that is about as hot as I'd want it to run.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
iPad 3 owners tears coming in 3...2...

It depends... Those who own a product because they want to show off by having the latest, yes, they'll cry and break their piggy bank.

Those who like technology and don't feel like new products should be put on hold just because of their ego won't.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think the iPad 4 is a hefty upgrade, but I'm content with my iPad 3, and look forward to March or April when iPad 5 drops with a similar design to the iPad Mini, which I think is a gorgeous looking device.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I think the iPad 4 is a hefty upgrade, but I'm content with my iPad 3, and look forward to March or April when iPad 5 drops with a similar design to the iPad Mini, which I think is a gorgeous looking device.

And if it doesn't come out till next fall?

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i'm surprised... iPad 4 has the exact same battery as iPad 3

and at the same time has a better processor

will the battery life remain the same with the extra power provided ???

hoonpv

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
It's a Mac forum so I guess it's only natural to see this happen but omg, some of y'all are such hypocrites.

When Samsung does this short interval launches, it's "that's what you get for buying Android!" and when Apple finally does something like this, it's "Well, the 3rd gen still works perfectly like the day I bought it" :confused:

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
At this point this is my choice: wait six/seven months and await the next generation iPad and if nothing was released wait another six/five months.

This is my point: get the latest every time, enjoy, don't worry and be happy!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's a Mac forum so I guess it's only natural to see this happen but omg, some of y'all are such hypocrites.

When Samsung does this short interval launches, it's "that's what you get for buying Android!" and when Apple finally does something like this, it's "Well, the 3rd gen still works perfectly like the day I bought it" :confused:

The difference being Samsung dumps support for their products after a couple of months, and I'll get iOS 7 and 8 without an once of concern.

The Nexus is a slightly different animal obviously.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Boo hoo hoo, I recently bought an iPad3 and then, and then....sob...snivvel....APPLE improved it!!!!

NOW MY LIFE IS RUINED!!!!

Wow....the entitlement can be overpowering on this forum.:p

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Honestly how many people here are actually going to take advantage of this stuff with their iPad 4? I can't imagine many look at the iPad as the killer gaming system just for the simple fact touch screen is so cumbersome to use when you play more complex games.

Yes it sounds awesome on benchmarks but I think 95% of users won't even use it to it's full potential.

Kills me though how fast the device is when its not even a quad core like the competition (though to be fair you could have 30 cores and unless the apps take full advantage of the 30 cores its not going to be any faster).

Apple certainly seems to have a great chipset development team.

----------

The difference being Samsung dumps support for their products after a couple of months, and I'll get iOS 7 and 8 without an once of concern.

The Nexus is a slightly different animal obviously.

No joke how long does it take Samsung to support the latest android system?

I have a motorola xoom that .0000000000002% of the population uses yet motorola is quick to kick out the latest android flavors for it. Samsung being one of the biggest players in android tablets take months (if ever) to upgrade the operating system.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Honestly how many people here are actually going to take advantage of this stuff with their iPad 4? I can't imagine many look at the iPad as the killer gaming system just for the simple fact touch screen is so cumbersome to use when you play more complex games.

Yes it sounds awesome on benchmarks but I think 95% of users won't even use it to it's full potential.

a user like myself will use it for sure.

i bought an iPad 3, 32GB LTE on October 3 and saw how inadequate the A5X was at handling graphics intensive apps such as Metal Storm. my old iPad 2 could play that game better. apple allowed me to return it for an apple store credit so i pre-ordered the iPad 4, 64GB LTE

the A6X will be a godsend for the iPad Retina - finally Metal Storm will be fluid again, and i will be able to scroll without hiccups for graphics intensive web pages (with active motion)

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

That's true, but once Apple gets the message that many games really need physical controls, the performance will already be in place. Also, once the mini gets a retina display and better processor/graphics, Nintendo executives will be sweating even harder.:D

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
i'm surprised... iPad 4 has the exact same battery as iPad 3

and at the same time has a better processor

will the battery life remain the same with the extra power provided ???

no the new chip is smaller and needs less power + the A6 chips are super super efficient!

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
This makes me so glad I got the iPad 4 today in NYC because the adorable Mini was sold out everywhere. I could only afford 16GB but will upgrade to 32GB in a month. I am a user of graphic intensive apps and games, so I'm super pleased the A6X is really fast! I'm glad the mini was sold out honestly lol. The mini is soooo cute but the screen bothered me a bit and I wanted to watch Netflix, movies on a bigger screen.

I think I definitely made the right decision in buying the iPad 4. :D

----------

I saw on a tech interview with one of Apples people or someone in the know, that the schedule is being changed to Autumn season for iPad release and spring wouldn't see any iPad release. Who knows really, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Besides, you know what the Mayans say about 2012 lol, better enjoy the best while you can! :p ;)

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I wonder what the constraints are concerning power. Also, if, having 2x 543 cores gives 19.2 GFLOPS of compute GPU power, why didn't Apple opted for a single core 554 that has the same specs as two 543s in their A6 chip? There are no differences in core count, bandwidth, compute, or anything else. Eliminate a core, deliver greater performance no?

Ask the chip engineers, until then you are just speculating.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal

get it?

also samsung does not make 1 tablet, they make a dozen of them. and what about phones?

also the iPad3 will be support, unlike plastic sammy phones (all of them)

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Considering this is one of the fastest Apple products to be discontinued...they should offer a $100 trade-in upgrade program for the 4th gen iPad or SOMETHING. It would create goodwill among the hardcore base, and then they could take customers' iPad 3's which are in perfectly good condition and slap them on the refurb store. It would such easy money lining Apple's pockets, I don't know why they don't do this.

They don't need to do it because they are going on ebay for only $100 less than the equivalent iPad 4 anyway.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Remember when the first G4 Mac to break a GFLOP came out - the commercial with the tanks surrounding it because it was "so powerful, the US Government classified it as a weapon." Now our iPads' graphics chips can do 76.8 GFLOPS.

"What are we going to do today, Brain?"[/QUOTE

I just left a viewing of Cloud Atlas, the movie blows your mind. What is interesting though is the representation of computer technology in the movie. Makes you think hard about what we will be doing tomorrow with our computers. Plus the very retro display of tech from the past really highlights just how fast technology is evolving. I don't want to spill the beans but do consider a trip to the theater.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Considering this is one of the fastest Apple products to be discontinued...they should offer a $100 trade-in upgrade program for the 4th gen iPad or SOMETHING. It would create goodwill among the hardcore base, and then they could take customers' iPad 3's which are in perfectly good condition and slap them on the refurb store. It would such easy money lining Apple's pockets, I don't know why they don't do this.

Although many iPad3 owners would love to have that opportunity, it would also set a precedent on APPLE's part, and possibly be a logistical nightmare for any future product updates. That's in addition to losing $$, and having millions of iPad3's in their re-furb store.

At this point this is my choice: wait six/seven months and await the next generation iPad and if nothing was released wait another six/five months.

If you want it and can afford one, buy it now, and enjoy it without regret. Even if you wait "six/seven months", there will ALWAYS be something better on the horizon, and those who wait for the next 'great' thing, will never have the pleasure of owning anything. The next iteration WILL be better/faster, etc., that's a given. It is the price to pay, for all this great new tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.