Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
The cards aren't officially supported. This means at some point, someone will just have to buy one and try it out. I personally don't have a MacPro1,1 or a GT 630 card, so I can't try it out for you.

If you buy the card and it works, great. If not, you can always return it, right?

da991319

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
EVGA GTX 560Ti, ML 10.8.2

Hi everyone,

i am trying to have an EVGA GTX 560Ti to work on y mac pro 3.1 with ML 10.8.2. The nVidia drivers are the one provided by the link at the beginning of this thread.

I experienced the exact same problem as charliebee (on page 3) :
- GTX 560 Ti (slot 2) + native 2600XT => system boots up but reboots itself when it gets to the login screen
- GTX 560 Ti (slot 2 or slot 1) => I get the startup chime but doesn't seem to load the OS at all. I waited a several minutes and nothing happened

Unlike Charliebee I am not able to boot in safe mode (no matter if the 2600 XT is plugged in) so i can't even see if the card is detected.

I also tried to modify the ktext as Charliebee explained (by added the correct device ID of the GTX 560 Ti) but it doesn't do any difference.

Did anyone ever experience this with this video card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I've used the EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti since February or so of this year. I was using it with Mountain Lion, both with and without the NVIDIA drivers. Rock solid for me, no modifications needed. My system is a MacPro5,1 (2010) for what it's worth, and I had the card in slot 2.

Check the system logs for error messages. Does the system boot fine with just the 2600 XT?

Kristian Thomse

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Regardless of whether it is Fermi, Kepler or Potato, if the device id isn't supported in the driver, it won't work.

I would guess that you would find it to work in whatever driver version other similar cards are supported in.

ie, if it came out when GTX670 did, it MIGHT be supported where 670 is. If it JUST came out with GTX660, you might need to find the first driver that supported 660.

Thank you so much for your reply, MacVidCars.

----------

The cards aren't officially supported. This means at some point, someone will just have to buy one and try it out. I personally don't have a MacPro1,1 or a GT 630 card, so I can't try it out for you.

If you buy the card and it works, great. If not, you can always return it, right?

Thank you, Asgorath.
You are right - and I think that is what I am gonna do.
I will return with the results of the test!

When I read your thread, I thought: "This guy, Asgorath, is unbeatable in this subject". Therefore I assumed you could tell if the card was gonna work, from a set of genius calculations or the like. But perhaps Apple has left us with no other real options than trial and error. You do seem well informed regarding Mac Pro and GPU upgrades, and as well does indeed MacVidCards.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Thank you, Asgorath.
You are right - and I think that is what I am gonna do.
I will return with the results of the test!

When I read your thread, I thought: "This guy, Asgorath, is unbeatable in this subject". Therefore I assumed you could tell if the card was gonna work, from a set of genius calculations or the like. But perhaps Apple has left us with no other real options than trial and error. You do seem well informed regarding Mac Pro and GPU upgrades, and as well does indeed MacVidCards.

Right, my answer is "probably". It will probably work, since it's a Fermi GPU and those tend to work fine with Lion. That's as best as I can do without actually having access to such a card. All of our knowledge on this subject has come from exactly that, trial and error. Good luck!

da991319

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Hi Asgorath,

The mac boot without any problem with the 2600 XT.
I have paste the ktext in case you notice any problem with it:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
        <string>English</string>
        <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
        <string>NVDAGF100Hal</string>
        <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
        <string>NVDAGF100Hal 1.3.4.0 (304.00.05f02)</string>
        <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
        <string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
        <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
        <string>6.0</string>
        <key>CFBundleName</key>
        <string>NVIDIA GF100 Resman Kernel Extension</string>
        <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
        <string>KEXT</string>
        <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
        <string>1.3.4</string>
        <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
        <string>????</string>
        <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
        <string>3.0.4</string>
        <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
        <dict>
                <key>NVidiaRM</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                        <string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
                        <key>IOClass</key>
                        <string>NVDAGF100HAL</string>
                        <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
                        <string>IOService</string>
                        <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
                        <string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff
                                0x120010de&0xffc0ffff
                        </string>
                        <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
                        <string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>
                        <key>IOProbeScore</key>
                        <integer>60000</integer>
                        <key>IOProviderClass</key>
                        <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
                </dict>
        </dict>
        <key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
        <string>1.2.0</string>
        <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
        <dict>
                <key>com.apple.NVDAResman</key>
                <string>1.2.0</string>
                <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
                <string>2.4</string>
                <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
                <string>9.0.0</string>
                <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
                <string>9.0.0</string>
        </dict>
        <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
        <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I added this line: 0x120010de&0xffc0ffff

I will have a look at the system logs and see if i can find any error message.

Thanks again for your time.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
My GTX 560 Ti worked without issues, so yeah, not sure what's going wrong. Checking /var/log/system.log for error messages will definitely help.

da991319

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Asgorath

I checked the log and I have a kernel panic when the GTX 560 is by itself.

Here some part of the panic log:

Code:
      Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
         com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.5)[803496D0-ADAD-3ADB-B071-8A0A197DA53D]@0xffffff7f8eb8e000->0xffffff7f8ebc5fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.7.2)[B1B77B26-7984-302F-BA8E-544DD3D75E73]@0xffffff7f8e634000
         com.apple.NVDAResman(3.0.4)[BC567F28-823E-3FB4-A726-F13C4041C44D]@0xffffff7f8fe16000->0xffffff7f90123fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.7.2)[B1B77B26-7984-302F-BA8E-544DD3D75E73]@0xffffff7f8e634000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.3.5)[86DDB71C-A73A-3EBE-AC44-0BC9A38B9A44]@0xffffff7f8ebd1000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.5)[803496D0-ADAD-3ADB-B071-8A0A197DA53D]@0xffffff7f8eb8e000
         com.apple.GeForce(8.0.1)[90A7ED58-4F3E-38B4-8596-EB1D65EA1B85]@0xffffff7f90a77000->0xffffff7f90b3afff
            dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(3.0.4)[BC567F28-823E-3FB4-A726-F13C4041C44D]@0xffffff7f8fe16000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.3.5)[86DDB71C-A73A-3EBE-AC44-0BC9A38B9A44]@0xffffff7f8ebd1000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.5)[803496D0-ADAD-3ADB-B071-8A0A197DA53D]@0xffffff7f8eb8e000

Code:
System uptime in nanoseconds: 33635832324
last loaded kext at 32589664619: com.nvidia.CUDA	1.1.0 (addr 0xffffff7f8eea5000, size 12288)
loaded kexts:
com.nvidia.CUDA	1.1.0
com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC	1.60
com.apple.GeForce	8.0.1

Code:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement	196.0.0
com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal	3.0.4
com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal	3.0.4
com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal	3.0.4
com.apple.NVDAResman	3.0.4

I am not sure if that's really usefull.

I will try to reinstall the drivers tomorrow (including SCUDA drivers) to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for the logs tip

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
GTX690 also works in Mac Pro (3.1 or higher) OOTB (additional PSU required):

On Mac OS X both GPU's works as separate graphics cards. All DVI ports working perfectly.

But only one GPU will work on Windows. You can install HyperSLI patch to get SLI, but it works only with two separate cards with SLI bridge (tested with two GTX560). Dual-GPU card with internal SLI will not work in MP for unknown reasons. Windows disables one GPU which isn't "main", so you can't use DVI ports 2-3 or 1 (DP not tested) simultaneously. In device manager only one GPU shown. If I forced to work both, HyperSLI 80% will work well.

Kristian Thomse

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Right, my answer is "probably". It will probably work, since it's a Fermi GPU and those tend to work fine with Lion. That's as best as I can do without actually having access to such a card. All of our knowledge on this subject has come from exactly that, trial and error. Good luck!

Thanks - and thank you for giving me your best possible answer, Asgorath.

This goes out to anyone in the discussion:
I have read here and there that graphics cards with 2GB+ can be problematic in terms of compatibilty (will need workarounds to function properly) with Lion. Some authors term it 2GB+ others write "more than 2GB". I wonder if this means that a card with 2GB should be fine, whereas a card with 2.5GB or more could be problematic. Or does 2GB+ mean cards with 2GB or more...? I mean, is it best to settle with 1GB cards?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks - and thank you for giving me your best possible answer, Asgorath.

This goes out to anyone in the discussion:
I have read here and there that graphics cards with 2GB+ can be problematic in terms of compatibilty (will need workarounds to function properly) with Lion. Some authors term it 2GB+ others write "more than 2GB". I wonder if this means that a card with 2GB should be fine, whereas a card with 2.5GB or more could be problematic. Or does 2GB+ mean cards with 2GB or more...? I mean, is it best to settle with 1GB cards?

2GB cards work fine. The restriction is present in both Lion and Mountain Lion, and is the Apple OpenCL framework testing the amount of video memory on the GPU. If the size is greater than 2GB, the framework disables OpenCL acceleration. Netkas figured out how to hack the binary to remove this restriction, details are in the FAQ with a link to MacVidCard's description of how to make the necessary changes.

Kristian Thomse

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
2GB cards work fine. The restriction is present in both Lion and Mountain Lion, and is the Apple OpenCL framework testing the amount of video memory on the GPU. If the size is greater than 2GB, the framework disables OpenCL acceleration. Netkas figured out how to hack the binary to remove this restriction, details are in the FAQ with a link to MacVidCard's description of how to make the necessary changes.

Absolutely superb answering - thanks, Asgorath. That was very useful.
Now I am set for buying a card, and will return with the results of my testing within the nearest future.

maxmaut

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
I also wanted to confirm that Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 with 768 ram works outofthebox in my MP 4.1, and could alo be added to the list.
I hope this would be helpful for someone.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I also wanted to confirm that Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 with 768 ram works outofthebox in my MP 4.1, and could alo be added to the list.
I hope this would be helpful for someone.

Thanks, I need to go through the thread and update the list of cards that are known to work.

freeflywing

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
So does it mean it is safe to use 6 & 8 pins gtx 680 on Mac Pro? isn't 8 pin draw 150w? which is over 225w Mac Pro 2 x 6 pin can provide.

There has been a fair amount of confusion about the NVIDIA PC card support since it was last enabled in the 10.7.3 web driver. I'm going to use the term PC card to describe a stock card with no EFI, that is, any old NVIDIA graphics card that you can buy online or from your local computer store.

1) What OS versions will work?

In order to boot with an NVIDIA PC card, you need to have:
  • 10.7.4 with the 270.00.00f06 driver installed
  • 10.8 through 10.8.2
That is, both 10.7.5 and 10.8.* will work with NVIDIA PC cards out-of-the-box.

Note that the Fermi generation cards work with Lion, but in almost all cases the Kepler cards require Mountain Lion. You may find a GK107-based card that boots in 10.7.5, but it is highly recommended that you use Mountain Lion since there appears to be much better driver support in that OS in general.

To be clear, the stock Apple drivers now contain basic support for all currently-shipping cards. This means that you no longer have to swap out the card when doing a Software Update to the next OS version. In all cases, it is recommended that you update to the corresponding NVIDIA web driver, as those drivers tend to have more bug fixes and/or performance improvements than the stock Apple drivers.

2) A new OS update from Apple just came out. What do I do?

As mentioned above, all stock OS drivers from Apple will now make stock NVIDIA PC cards work.

If you have installed a web driver from NVIDIA, it is likely that the OS update from Apple will overwrite them. Now that the stock drivers from Apple will still let your card function, this is not a deal breaker. You should NOT attempt to make drivers from one OS release work with a new OS release in general, since the drivers are closely tied to the frameworks that shipped with the version of the OS that the driver was intended for. Trying to force the 10.8.1 web driver to work with 10.8.2, for example, is just asking for trouble and will probably make your machine no longer boot to the desktop.

NVIDIA has had a good track record of releasing new web drivers for each version of OS as it comes out. Sometimes there is a delay of a few days, but in general a new driver is available quickly. Given that, it is advised you do one of the following:
  • Update to the new OS, live with the stock drivers for a few days.
  • Wait until the new driver is released by NVIDIA, then update to the new OS.
I usually do the latter, since that allows me to get all the benefits of the web driver in the mean time.

3) Where do I get the latest NVIDIA drivers?

Some people have complained about not being able to find the latest NVIDIA driver for a given OS release, so I'll just list them here for reference.
If you are using a PC card, it is recommended that you always run the latest driver from NVIDIA's site, even if the base OS version allows your card to work out of the box.

4) What about SnowLeopard?

SnowLeopard will never, ever work with PC cards. Period. If you've been holding off updating, perhaps the fact that Mountain Lion works with PC cards will be enough to convince you to update.

No matter what, updating to the latest OS is the only way to get driver updates, and if you care about GPU performance then this alone should be enough motivation to stay current. Apple only supports the latest major OS version.

5) What GPUs will work?

As far as we can tell, basically any card will work, especially with Mountain Lion. The Lion driver appears to work well with the Fermi generation, but the Kepler generation cards only work with Mountain Lion.

Cards that are known to work include:
  • GTX 460 (GF104)
  • GTX 470 (GF100)
  • GTX 480 (GF100) *
  • GT 520 (GF119) - 1
  • GTX 560 and GTX 560 Ti (GF114) - 1
  • GTX 570 (GF110) - 1
  • GTX 580 (GF110) * - 1
  • GT 640 (GK107)
  • GTX 650 (GK107)
  • GTX 660 (GK106)
  • GTX 660 Ti (GK104)
  • GTX 670 (GK104)
  • GTX 680 (GK104) - 1
If you can confirm that a particular card works, please post a reply to the thread. I'd like to build up a list of links for each card.

Note that while the GTX 480 and GTX 580 technically work, they have a TDP of 245-250W which is above what the Mac Pro can officially support (225W). If you want to use these cards, you'll probably have to drive them with an external power supply. In general, a card like the GTX 570 would be a better choice, since it has a TDP of 219W.

The rule of thumb is this: if the card has one or more 8-pin power connectors, it might draw too much power and you should check to see what its TDP is. It is generally safer to stick with cards that have one or two 6-pin power connectors. Note that many GTX 680 cards do have both a 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors, though their TDP is down in the 190W range and should work fine.

6) What GPU should I buy?

This is a great question, and depends on your budget and what you'll be using the card for.
  • If you care more about gaming and have an unlimited budget, get a GTX 680.
  • If you care more about compute (CUDA/OpenCL) and have an unlimited budget, get a GTX 570.
  • If you can only afford a mid-rage card, get a GTX 660 Ti or GTX 660.
  • If can only afford a low-end card, get a GTX 650.
In general, if you are buying a card now, I would recommend getting a Kepler card and using Mountain Lion. If you really care more about OpenCL or CUDA performance, then the GTX 570 is probably the best choice. Brand of card does not matter, though I personally stick with EVGA in general.

7) Are these cards officially supported?

No, the PC cards are not officially supported, but they do seem to work very well with the most recent drivers.

8) Will the boot screen work?

No, the boot screen requires that the card has an EFI on it, so the screen will stay black until the login window or desktop starts up. This is probably the scariest part of the installation process, since you don't know if the card is working until the system has finished booting.

9) I use Boot Camp a lot. How do I switch OSes without a boot screen?

Many people switch into Boot Camp by holding down the Option key while the system starts. Given that this is part of the boot screen and thus does not work with a PC card (i.e. the screen stays black), you will need to use an alternative method of selecting which OS to use.

You can manually select the boot partition by using the Startup Disk pane in System Preferences under Mac OS X. You can also select "Restart in Mac OS X" using the Boot Camp system tray icon under Windows.

You can also just use a third-party app like BootChamp as well.

10) How do I install a PC card?

Installing the card is easy. First, you should ensure that you are running a supported OS and/or driver. If you are running on an OS that does not natively support the PC cards, like 10.7.4, you must install the NVIDIA driver before you install the card. You should install the driver and then reboot to make sure it is working correctly.

Once you have an OS/driver combination that supports the PC cards, simply shut your machine down and plug the card in. You should make sure that you connect power cables to all the plugs on the card.

11) I don't have enough power cables. Where do I get more?

The Mac Pro has a special low-profile connector on the motherboard, so you need a cable like this or this. Make sure the cable you get specifically says it is for the Mac Pro, there are many different choices and not all cables will work.

12) What slot should I install the card in?

Many people have reported issues with the PC cards not working well in PCIe slot 1, that is, the slot closest to the CPUs. There's an image on AnandTech that shows the slot numbers, for reference. As such, you should probably install the card in the other 16-lane slot. For the 2009 and newer models, that means slot 2.

FIXME: Need to figure out what slot this is for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 models.

13) Does CUDA work?

Yes, CUDA should just work. You should update to the latest CUDA driver, of course.

14) Why doesn't my Adobe app detect a CUDA device?

You need to add your card to the list of supported devices. This list is a simple text file.

FIXME: Need to provide more details here.

15) Does OpenCL work?

In general yes, but you might have to jump through a few hoops in some cases. In general, the drivers now have good support for OpenCL for both Fermi and Kepler generation cards. The only major issue right now is the 2GB RAM limitation, which I'll cover next.

16) My GPU has more than 2GB of RAM and OpenCL isn't working. What do I do?

Kudos goes to Netkas and MacVidCards for this, but there is a solution to this particular problem. Be warned: several people have not followed the instructions correctly and caused their system to stop booting.

MacVidCards wrote up detailed instructions in this post and this post of this thread. The fix involves modifying the Apple OpenCL framework binary to remove the check for more than 2GB of RAM.

Some important points to stress, since this is where folks tend to get confused:
  • Make a backup copy of the OpenCL framework, and leave it unmodified. This will let you boot up in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key and restoring the original file back to /System/Library/Frameworks in case something goes wrong.
  • Check the exact size of the OpenCL framework binary before and after the edits. It should be the same in both cases. If the edited file is larger, that means you inserted the bits instead of replacing them, and this will not work.
It might be nice to get MD5 sums of the original and working edited binaries, so folks can check their work as well.

17) Are the PC cards forced to only use PCIe 1.0?

The PC cards used to be forced to only use PCIe 1.0 (2.5GT/s), but the most recent drivers from NVIDIA for Mountain Lion (304.00.00f20 for 10.8.1, 304.00.05f02 for 10.8.2) appears to remove this restriction under Mac OS X. The PC cards will still run at PCIe 1.0 speeds under Boot Camp, however.

18) Where has the PC card support been discussed in the past?

There have been several major threads where the PC card support has been discussed in detail, including:

19) I have my new card installed and working, but Cinebench didn't get any faster. What's going on?

Cinebench R11.5 is an old benchmark that is not very efficient. As a result, the application cannot feed enough work to the GPU to keep the GPU busy, and as such you'll see the same FPS score with an 8800 GT as you will with a GTX 680. This is what I would consider a "CPU limited" benchmark, as opposed to a "GPU limited" one like Unigine Heaven.

If you want to test your new card, I would highly recommend a newer benchmark like Unigine Heaven or LuxMark, since those actually stress the GPU enough for it to matter.

On top of that, Cinebench R11.5 is old enough that it no longer reflects CINEMA 4D performance like it was designed to do. CINEMA 4D is now up to R14 from what I can tell.

20) There is corruption in the lower left or upper right corner of the screen. Is my card damaged?

There appears to be a driver bug in the stock Apple drivers that causes corruption like this:

on certain cards like the GTX 570/580 and GTX 670/680. This was fixed in the 10.8.1 web driver, as far as we can tell, so you should make sure you are running the latest version of Mountain Lion with the NVIDIA driver. There is currently no fix for this in Lion.

----------

CUDA and OpenCL sections are still a work in progress, will update them later today. Hopefully this will help new folks get up and running with a PC card. What's the process for getting a thread made sticky on the forum?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
So does it mean it is safe to use 6 & 8 pins gtx 680 on Mac Pro? isn't 8 pin draw 150w? which is over 225w Mac Pro 2 x 6 pin can provide.

First of all, please don't quote the entire FAQ post.

I cover the GTX 680 in the original post:

Note that while the GTX 480 and GTX 580 technically work, they have a TDP of 245-250W which is above what the Mac Pro can officially support (225W). If you want to use these cards, you'll probably have to drive them with an external power supply. In general, a card like the GTX 570 would be a better choice, since it has a TDP of 219W.

The rule of thumb is this: if the card has one or more 8-pin power connectors, it might draw too much power and you should check to see what its TDP is. It is generally safer to stick with cards that have one or two 6-pin power connectors. Note that many GTX 680 cards do have both a 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors, though their TDP is down in the 190W range and should work fine.

Emphasis added. To be clear, if the card you're looking at getting has any number of 8-pin power connectors, you should check the TDP of the card. If the TDP of the card is greater than 225W, then you probably shouldn't get it.

If the TDP of the card is less than or equal to 225W, but for some reason the card has an 8-pin power connector, then it's probably fine to just use a 6-pin to 8-pin converter cable. This only applies for the GTX 680 series cards, not the 480/580 which definitely require more than 225W.

There are plenty of GTX 680 cards that have 2 6-pin connectors and a TDP well under 225W, and those are all fine choices.

freeflywing

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Oh sorry, i didn't realize that a long quote is annoying!!!
Is there any website I can check the TDP of EVGA card?
I can not find any info about it; most web site just tells the general TDP 19x.
and EVGA product description did not even mention the TDP on their card.

First of all, please don't quote the entire FAQ post.

There are plenty of GTX 680 cards that have 2 6-pin connectors and a TDP well under 225W, and those are all fine choices.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Is there any website I can check the TDP of EVGA card?
I can not find any info about it; most web site just tells the general TDP 19x.
and EVGA product description did not even mention the TDP on their card.

Why don't you just link the exact card you're looking at? For reference, I just got this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130768

which you can see has the 2 6-pin power connectors as expected. The underlying theme here is this: don't bother getting a super-overclocked card that requires 8-pin power connectors. It's just not worth it.

Alazoral

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Successful Installation of GTX 660 in Mac Pro 1,1

After (more or less) following the instructions in this thread to upgrade my 1,1 to ML 10.8.2, I installed my 660 (the ASUS DirectCU II model, if you're interested), replacing my EFI-flashed 4890. This is a report of the various setbacks I have suffered along my journey so that another may avoid my mistakes.

Upon startup after replacing the drive, it did nothing but reboot after a period of blackness. Resolution: Replaced old card, downloaded latest drivers from nVidia's website.

Installer failed claiming I was not running 10.8.2 (possibly due to hinkiness recommended in thread referenced above in upgrading method). Resolution: Install with Pacifist, replaced old graphics card with new graphics card.

Started up without restarting but had no graphics at all. Was able to connect via remote desktop. System information reported no graphics card was present. Resolution: Repair disk permissions in Disk Utility.

Now everything seems to be booting up - black until desktop, as expected. The system information reports the correct card and I appear to be having a properly accelerated operating system with the translucencies, shadows and lack of flickering as one would expect. However the Startup Disk prefpane is not letting me change the startup disk to my Boot Camp volume, claiming the bless tool is unable to do so. I shall now attempt to boot into Windows blind.

MDangerous

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
My GTX 470 seems not to like Google Earth. The GTX freezes when trying to run the latest Google Earth 7.0.1.8244 (beta). Anyone else seeing this?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
My GTX 470 seems not to like Google Earth. The GTX freezes when trying to run the latest Google Earth 7.0.1.8244 (beta). Anyone else seeing this?

When posting problems like this, please include:

- Model of Mac Pro.
- OS and driver version.
- Any messages from "NVDA" in /var/log/system.log or elsewhere.

Otherwise, we have no idea what's going on.

MDangerous

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
When posting problems like this, please include:

- Model of Mac Pro.
- OS and driver version.
- Any messages from "NVDA" in /var/log/system.log or elsewhere.

Otherwise, we have no idea what's going on.

Gotcha!
1. Mac Pro 3,1
2. 10.8.2 and 304.00.05f02
3. What exactly am I looking for in /var/log/system.log? I went to Console and System Logs and filtered NVDA. I see the following error repeated over and over but not sure if this is what I'm looking for....

Nov 1 20:57:18 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Edit: I also see these...
Oct 31 15:55:14 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA: Unable to use shared channel!
Oct 31 15:55:14 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA: Calling glrKillClient for task 0xffffff802eb4d1a8

Oct 31 18:30:28 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Oct 31 18:30:28 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.