Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Surprised? LOL, give me a break. Of course they're going to "sell out".

And I'm still scratching my head on how they forgot to include a retina screen.... iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, New Ipad, New New iPad, 13" MBP, 15" MBP... iPad Mini?... nah, forget about it :confused:

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
As usual with just any Apple product launch, naysayers are keen to predict that "it will be a failure because it doesn't have X and competing products are cheaper".

And as usual it will be a success, and the same people will change their tune to "Apple fans will buy anything with an Apple logo on it!".

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
As usual with just any Apple product launch, naysayers are keen to predict that "it will be a failure because it doesn't have X and competing products are cheaper".

And as usual it will be a success, and the same people will change their tune to "Apple fans will buy anything with an Apple logo on it!".

Define "usual". Is ATV a "usual" case? Or a Ping?

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I thank G-d I am not you.
With the thousands of deaths from weather, disease, WARS how could you do anything your entire life. Or do you just choose what is moral therefore important to you?

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
One thing to remember is that today's launch was simply for the wifi versions of the device and in all likelihood demand will be much greater for the cellular enabled versions. The small portable form factor simply cries out for cellular.

I did check them out at the Boston flagship store (the largest in North America) and they are indeed gorgeous and amazingly light. They make the original iPad look bloated. That said, I echo the concern about the screen resolution. Surfing seems fine, but for extended reading of books I am not so sure. I will need to spend more time with it to make a final determination. I can't see owning both a mini and a full size LTE model, and while I love the new form factor I'm not certain that it is worth trading off screen resolution. Also, typing on the mini is completely different from the full-sized version -- it is a cramped keyboard designed for thumb typing rather than for touch typists.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
No "aaaaaaaaaand it's gone" comments on the first page?

----------

They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.

Should I cease eating my Halloween candy in honor of those who can't eat candy right now due to the hurricane?

Some people just read stuff and TRY to get offended by it. I remember when some MacRumors guy got mad and called me a racist because some comment was really abbreviated, and I said that it looks more like someone who doesn't bother typing stuff correctly than someone who doesn't speak English well.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

I wrote "as usual", not "always". Obviously your examples are the exception.

Just about everybody knew that Ping would fail, especially without Facebook integration.

As for the ATV, Apple never really pushed it as a flagship product and there was no hype regarding its launch.

I'm not trying to say that Apple is always successful, it's just that there's an obvious pattern that happens around every hyped Apple product launches.

You'd think that it'd be a safe bet for an Apple critic to say "Apple fans would buy anything they'd sell!" right off the bat instead of failing to predict a flop time after time and using that "brainwashed Apple fan/marketing" excuse afterward.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, that's what happened with the first iPad. People at my school told me to dump all Apple stock and get ready for a disaster, but I held :)

Also, Apple just dropped another 3.31%. Problem, guy on MR who told me not to sell at $700?

----------

Ping, from what I remember, was predicted to be a success when it was first planned. I remember because I read about it, thought it would be cool, updated iTunes, saw Ping, and disabled it in the parental controls because it burned my eyes with its horridness.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
It's disgusting....I'm an Apple guy and to even care about this now with all that is happening in the Tri-State is gluttony.

^Definition of irony. Don't u even realize that before u read & commented on that post, you yourself were "caring" & reading about it.

PLEASE....Get Lost!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yeah, that's what happened with the first iPad. People at my school told me to dump all Apple stock and get ready for a disaster, but I held :)

AAPL dropped $20 today, closed at $577.

I bet you're happy that you didn't buy when it was over $700 in mid-September. (And perhaps sad that you didn't sell in mid-September....)

But you're smart not to make investment decisions based on advice from high school students.

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
1.6 million people in Manhattan; the largest population density in the U.S. and the iPad Mini "sold out" there. Shocker. How exactly is this news and how is this at all indicative of iPad mini sales in general?

----------

I bet you're happy that you didn't buy when it was over $700 in mid-September. (And perhaps sad that you didn't sell in mid-September....)

But you're smart not to make investment decisions based on advice from high school students.

Geez, AAPL is down about $100 over the last month. I wonder if people realized it was really overpriced then and now it's correcting itself.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

I did sell around $700. Wow, that was a huge dump afterwards :eek:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I did sell around $700. Wow, that was a huge dump afterwards :eek:

Congratulations.

I've been lucky in the markets by accident. (Dumped a load of stock in Company X for the down payment on a house in Silicon Valley. A year later, the house was up 20%, and Company X had dropped 50%. Today, house is up 300% and Company X is no longer around.)

ps: Yes, I do have quite a few credits in Latin.

Last edited:

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
People are powerless, homeless, starving, but hey lets not go and get them help, lets stay in line to buy a useless consumer good! You suck humanity, you suck.

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
I think the iPad mini will be like the iPod mini. Everybody had complains when it was launched, said it was overpriced and underpowered, but it will become the best selling item in it's time.

Renzatic

Suspended
People are powerless, homeless, starving, but hey lets not go and get them help, lets stay in line to buy a useless consumer good! You suck humanity, you suck.

Starving? It's been 4 days! No ones had time to starve yet.

Homeless and powerless? Yeah, very much so. Though since this article pertains to a sell out in Manhattan, I'm taking it as a bunch of people, bored and listless due to the lack of power and transportation, figured "...hey, why not", and grabbed one for themselves.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The screen sucks, how anyone goes from a retina iPad screen to low res iPad 2 resolution is beyond me

Yes the small size and weight is nice but to just settle for a mini iPad 2 in 2012 is a joke when it's clear the next mini is going to be a massive upgrade, likely with retina

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I thank G-d I am not you.

Why? Because he prefers to not "play victim" and wants to get on with life? Terrible tragedies have always happened throughout history. It's unfortunate for the people involved, and if you can help out then great. If not that's fine too. Life can be very difficult, it does no good to sit around and whine about it. Get moving forward and do what needs to be done. Life goes on. Get over it.

----------

So you took a couple of weeks vacation time and you're down on the front lines helping out everyday? You better say yes, otherwise just shut up. ;)

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
NY Marathon was cancelled but not the iPad launch.

Conclusion: iFans are more resilient than marathon runners.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Better idea than waiting in line for an iPad mini: help with clean up and rescue efforts.

I agree if you are actually in one of those areas...but what about those who were not hit? It's not like there is much the rest of us can do from afar except donate.

And no...I am not in line getting one at the moment.

And yes...I have a lot of family in the Jersey area that got hit. Thankfully they are only without power and are safe at the moment.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
It's rumored that Apple only had 1000 iPad Mini units in stock for each store. Tim Cook messed up on getting sufficient inventory. That's why it sold out. That was the main reason Apple shares lost another $20. :p

So they are going to sell 1.5 million units the first 5 days with 375 stores but only had 1000 per store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.