Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CH34P3T

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
You know, I wasn't really interested in an iPad Mini before seeing the video. But now I kinda want one just to put it in the car. Lol

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
Really now? My 2012 5 series tells me my engine oil level, miles till next maintenance, brake pad, fluids, efficient dynamic setting which show brake energy regen status, ac level, mpg, trip computer, GPS that connected to my wheel so even works in tunnel or underground, it reads me text message, post twitter or Facebook, it can play everything on my iPhone, show 360 degree camera view around my car, park my car automatically, read me people Facebook status, set speed limit for my car, display sports mode setting, owner manual, schedule maintenance remotely, remotely unlock or start my car without key, call ambulance when crash, make emergency call without a cell phone, control lighting of my car, etc. really the iPad is the best system??

Sounds like a cluster **** of information in one location. No stock tickers? Granted, most of that crap(and more) can be done with a $100 Android tablet, and a $20 Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. You'll still have to park you car manually though, life's tough. The 360 degree google streetview option on the 5 series is something that sounds cool too.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd love one in my car but how much would it cost to fit? I think I'm not about to spend a quarter of what my car is worth to install it. However if car manufactures put there mind to it something like this would be doable. Also they could save money and just have changeable mounting plates for different tablets. Then they could just develop apps to work with your car.
Of course that's never going to happen as they would rather sell you a sat nav as a £700 option, when a Tom Tom is only £300 to buy.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
It would have to be removable. In chicago, it would be to cold to leave it in.

But that would be smart regardless, cause who would want to risk leaving it in the car for someone to steal it. Also, you would want to upload new music and other things onto it for the road.

Honestly, my car is in range of my home WiFi when it's parked on the drive - nothing stopping a wifi sync without ever having to remove it from the car!

My dash doesn't have anywhere to mount such a thing - I only have a standard height head unit space, and it's hooked up via a USB cord I modded into one of the storage bins, so the iPod touch just sits in there out of sight and cable-free and I can control it from my steering wheel etc.

This does look very cool though, but would require *serious* modification of my centre console.

This is what it looks like:

http://img.pistonheads.com.s3-eu-we...picasso-mpv-5-door-1-6-desire-602577138-2.jpg

I could maybe take out the AC/heater/fan controls and fabricate a new panel for those, since they are all mostly electrical switches - they could go down where the current Head Unit is, then create a custom mount and frame for a Mini so that it could be removed if needed but also covered up with a slide-cover perhaps.

There's *tons* of room behind that console (I know, having dug around in there extensively with my previous modifications to put in the current iPod+stereo setup), so there would be plenty of opportunity to make it fit nicely.

Hmm, don't mind me - just planning!

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
So instead of having one system that works with all cars and accessories, we have crap systems like the Benz myCOMAND.

The Benz system is actually fairly good. We just got a 2013 C class and they have made a lot of improvements over the 2010 system.

That being said, I would much rather have a dumb terminal and have it controlled by my phone. The mini-Ipad is actually a great idea as well but the manufacturers can't charge $2500 for a GPS and maps that way.

Hidesuru

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I do not need the top of the line stuff nor the audison stuff.

My current setup is a deck that has ipod controls through being connected through USB and I can control the volume and controls through the deck or steering wheel controls.

Instead I could push back the deck install a place to hold iPad temporarily and just rewire a volume control knob to a different place in the car.

I will post pictures of my current setup running through the stock stereo and for my ears it sounds great because thats what I care about, I am no audiophile.

Having re-read both of your posts I may have misunderstood you initially. You said that you would get the same "functionality" of the expensive system, and I took that to include sound quality.

Reading -this- post I get the impression it may be more the features you were talking about, in which case I will concede the point. To get a high-end stereo that can do half what the iPad can do (aside from playing music) would cost a large quantity of money. Granted the stereo might sound better, but if that's not a requirement then the iPad is a better choice.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
The iPad will cost hundreds of dollars, and the installation will cost more. Unless you're so in love with your job that you'd do it for free, those dollars probably have to earned through some amount of suffering. My point is that nothing an iPad-in-dash offers is worth what you have to go through to get it.

GPS in your car: just look up the address before you leave the house, or learn how to get someplace instead of relying on the robotic voice

Contacts / friends in your car: don't you already have that on your fancy cell phone? Why do you suddenly need it on your dashboard?

Movies: you mean, watching movies in the car? A long trip of more than a few hours, I can understand. But how often do you drive a thousand miles? Not very often; maybe once a year. So why would you build in a device that plays a movie for your passenger once a year when you go on vacation? You wouldn't actually watch video on your daily commute, would you? Can't you handle being alone with yourself for ~30 minutes at a time, or do you need distraction all the time?

I can't believe that anyone would pay hundreds of dollars for these so-called conveniences, and heck, I'm an iOS developer. Even though I'm fairly young, I grew up without GPS or cell phones and I can remember how we got along just fine without them.

Lol... I hope you're joking.

Just to name a few reasons: GPS, Contacts, Find your Friends, Movies... upon a million more. But if you just need one: the best infotainment system available - PLUS it syncs with all your other devices you already have.

It's not about being antisocial, its simply the best infotainment system you could buy.

Hidesuru

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Another good point...that you made for my 'cons' :)

5GB a month? Now if you are using this all month long...on the road...using CELL data...what would your usage total be?

I have AT&T and am grandfathered into the 'unlimited' plan...which means they throttle my data anyway at 3GB. I do NOT use that much, as most of my data is via wifi. However, if one were to do this...well, then let's see someone use this method and what their cellular billing is after a month!

I use my iPhone 3GS to compliment my satellite GPS in the car (Navman, portable and now way out-of-date)...but, of course using the iPhone for google map traffic and music and etc. If I used Pandora or ConcertVault or some streaming media a lot OR the GPS on this iPad mini...then this does not help my data usage over cellular. Video streaming...yeah...good luck with that.

Going in and out as you drive, depending on where you are...this is another reason why I prefer satellite GPS.

Therefore, what else would one use it for...over cellular? LTE would only help to hasten your cell data limit, it seems...on the road, in such a scenario.

What does this do that your car (and newer cars) would not be able to do...or that my nice new Note2 (google voice/svoice) or even my old iPhone 3GS (ok, no Siri) could do just the same?

dponte, I think you misunderstand how the location services in these devices work. In the cell model of iPad, there IS a GPS receiver (sat nav). Apparently the wifi only version leaves this out, but that version would not work for navigation at all without a 3rd party app that provides offline maps. With the cell version the only downside to losing cell coverage would be if you ran out of cached map files and you could no longer see the map, it would get nearly as reliable a location signal as a dedicated nav unit. Short outages of cell data would not be noticed by the user at all.

The only reason it might be slightly less is if it has a smaller antenna (likely), and the fact that it is mounted in the dash which would attenuate the GPS signal slightly.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Whoah whoah whoah. Lets not get carried away. He clearly states in the video that they are using an Audison sound system in that vehicle, with two amplifiers. A quick look on Amazon shows me the -cheapest- Audison amp is ~$250, going all the way up to > $1000. That's JUST the amps as well. Add in additional hardware, an iPad, and not even counting installation (if you could do it yourself lets say), and you are probably over 2 grand for what's in that car.

I'm not saying its not cool, but there is NO WAY you would beat the quality of a "$1000 stereo" with an iPad for less money. The iPad is just putting out a stereo line level signal, the rest is all being done by the expensive audio hardware...

I'm not an audiophile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could tell the difference in audio quality compared to a device more specifically geared towards putting out high fidelity sound than an iPad, which is intended for use with -at best- some dock speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't want a setup like this, because in order to use your car's stereo you would have to have the iPad in place, and as mentioned by others if you don't remove it when you leave the car it begs to be stolen. The end result is you now have to always carry the thing with you (or sometimes not use your stereo). Maybe that works for some people (cool!), but would not for me. I personally would find it a burden to have to keep track of one more device at all times.

All just my $0.02 of course.

I took their video as saying they sent a digital signal straight to the amp skipping the stereo line out you are referring to. The degradation comes from the digital to analog conversion, and they skipped the iPhone part that does it by sending data oner Bluetooth, wifi, or through the dock for digital to analog conversion afterwards. I you ripped CDs lossless, or had a better quality than that and the iPad could play it, this setup may sound impressive.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
There is a reason car companies all over use scroll wheel than much cheaper touch screen. Do u think developing a scroll wheel UI and install it on the central column is cheaper than a touch screen technology? The reason they use scroll wheel is because its much safer and accurate. It ur car is moving, it's hard to reach your hand over to the screen and touch tiny buttons. Scroll wheel each click is accurate and u rest ur hand on the car. Although slower, u don't have to look at it constantly, also much more accurate entry when u can driving in a bumpy road.

Source: I own both kinds of car

How long would it take for you to type in this address with a scroll wheel? The one in the BMW is more annoying as it takes ages to scroll to each letter and number. Would you want the clickwheel on your iPhone, or would you rather be able to bang out text messages by just pressing on the letters?

How about giving us an option? We can use touch when we enter information (or use the wheel if we desire), but we can use the wheel for everything else.

----------

The iPad will cost hundreds of dollars

Getting a comparable system installed in your car from the factory will cost a couple grand. The iPad is cheaper, and also has a much better touchscreen than what any automobile manufacturer has to offer....or in the case of BMW, Mercedes, or even older Chrysler vehicles a piddle-paddle-wheel-of-annoyingness.

Though to be honest, I would rather go for a factory system, as it will always look and be more integrated than what you can mod, especially with steering wheel controls, dashboard and car information etc.

THIS IS a project I would love to take on inside an older car or truck however.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's nice, but all I want for my next car is for the stereo to support BT A2DP. I actually don't need or want it to do anything else. If it does that, and has either a USB charging port or a traditional "cigarette lighter" power port, I'll be happy.

----------

The degradation comes from the digital to analog conversion, and they skipped the iPhone part that does it by sending data oner Bluetooth, wifi, or through the dock for digital to analog conversion afterwards.

Well, of all of those options, watch out for the BT A2DP one. It's convenient, but the codecs are lossy. It's sort of silly to go out of your way to rip CDs to a lossless format if you're going to send them over BT A2DP.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Having re-read both of your posts I may have misunderstood you initially. You said that you would get the same "functionality" of the expensive system, and I took that to include sound quality.

Reading -this- post I get the impression it may be more the features you were talking about, in which case I will concede the point. To get a high-end stereo that can do half what the iPad can do (aside from playing music) would cost a large quantity of money. Granted the stereo might sound better, but if that's not a requirement then the iPad is a better choice.

Yeah I am currently rocking a Nexus 7 that has GPS until the LTE mini launches with a CD slot mount but would like it to look cleaner by hiding the wires and looking more OEM.

7ybanasu.jpg

byperury.jpg

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
WOOT! A new form entry on every police stations accident report!

Did the moron involved in the accident have an iPad Mini prominently mounted in the dash board?

Yes? No?

If Yes clearly they were distracted while driving and should at least get slapped by relevant laws for that in addition to any they are found guilty of in relation to the accident.

Seriously folks this **** is not smart. The texting, the phoning, the iPadding, its all got to stop when you get behind the wheel. Your job as a driver is to drive, to get from point A to B safely without endangering other people. If being entertained or checking tweets is so much more important hire a taxi or chauffeur, if you're really a tech geek get a Google robot car, or heaven forbid take public mass transit.

I really wish insurance companies could/would find a way to start charging increased rates to people who habitually text/email while driving.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Without retina and LTE the ipad mini is dated on day 1! But count me in when those are added.

Edit: I'm an idiot, the ipad mini does have LTE. I'm in after retina, I guess.

Why does a 7" tablet need 1080p resolution? I mean everything looks just fine on my iPad 2. And then on the mini everything would look even better than that! I will admit that the resolution on my iPad 3rd gen is great.. but the iPad mini doesn't need "retina" to be great.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
The Benz system is actually fairly good. We just got a 2013 C class and they have made a lot of improvements over the 2010 system.

That being said, I would much rather have a dumb terminal and have it controlled by my phone. The mini-Ipad is actually a great idea as well but the manufacturers can't charge $2500 for a GPS and maps that way.

It would be great to have an iPad mount or even a smartphone/tablet mount in the car. Problem is as you said, then the manufacturer can't charge someone $2500 for the option plus another $190 a year for updated maps. Takes a big piece of revenue away from them and why would they want to do that?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I have a Toyota Camry with a similar opening for the sound system. I use my iPhone 4S for all of my audio and GPS stuff. This would be a neat future venture for car manufacturers, especially if the car could send all sorts of diagnostic information to the tablet. Just create a similar docking solution and have different connectors and frames for iPad mini, Android and Windows tablets.

If some manufacturer wanted to just fully back Apple, an alternate home button could be on the steering wheel for Siri activation. That might allow people to do many more things using voice commands instead of reaching for a far-off button.

This would also be the most awesome GPS in the world with all that screen real estate to use. Too bad right now this is just a highly customized option.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Would love for carmakers to offer a custom-fit sled for a Mini in the dash, that is really a perfect use for one, and if they also open up APIs for developers, you could do all kinds of fun stuff. Too bad they want to keep selling their own overpriced garbage, like $2,500 navigation with crappy touchscreens that can only be upgraded with new mapping data by the dealership.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.