Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Out of curiosity, I checked around on the internet to see what people's thoughts were about the new iMac. I was a bit surprised, I must admit, to find that a fair number of people seem to believe that the new iMac is 5mm thick -- which is to say, 5mm throughout, not merely the edge.

I know that this was the intent of Apple's design: to make people think it was thinner than it actually is, but it is still surprising to me that people could just accept that a full computer is only 5mm deep. Such people have clearly heard the tech specs of the system (because they quote the marketing bullets), but apparently misinterpret them (the new iMac is NOT 80% thinner; the EDGE is 80% thinner).

I suppose it doesn't help that the advertising is designed to play up the deceptively thin edge, and that a lot of major sites misreport the issue:

http://www.cultofmac.com/197524/app...hinner-imac-starting-at-1299-ipad-mini-event/

It is somewhat troubling in a way. Consider this video:

I don't mean to pick on this kid, and his "review" of the iMac 2012, but if such is a representation of Apple's intended clientele, one has to wonder exactly how "simple" computers should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
x2 on this one. Marketing as if the *entire depth is 5mm thick* is really quite retarded. Why was the total deepness not fully mentioned is quite sad. Also an SD slot on the rear is also a bit disturbing as I use an SD slot quite offten and now I'll have to turn my entire monitor to just make sure I properly get the SD in.

masp84

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Out of curiosity, I checked around on the internet to see what people's thoughts were about the new iMac. I was a bit surprised, I must admit, to find that a fair number of people seem to believe that the new iMac is 5mm thick -- which is to say, 5mm throughout, not merely the edge.

I know that this was the intent of Apple's design: to make people think it was thinner than it actually is, but it is still surprising to me that people could just accept that a full computer is only 5mm deep. Such people have clearly heard the tech specs of the system (because they quote the marketing bullets), but apparently misinterpret them (the new iMac is NOT 80% thinner; the EDGE is 80% thinner).

I suppose it doesn't help that the advertising is designed to play up the deceptively thin edge, and that a lot of major sites misreport the issue:

http://www.cultofmac.com/197524/app...hinner-imac-starting-at-1299-ipad-mini-event/

It is somewhat troubling in a way. Consider this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_waJQHCwCc

I don't mean to pick on this kid, and his "review" of the iMac 2012, but if such is a representation of Apple's intended clientele, one has to wonder exactly how "simple" computers should be.

I think no one asked for thinness, and of course it meant the 5400 rpm laptop drive in the 21" models, lack of ODD which I agree most of people can take, but you gotta reckon the 21" models are truly gimped, a real hardware refresh IMO is like the one we saw on MBP. But I guess it's too soon to make a judgement and I'll have to follow both intel and Apple movements from now on so I can get a clue where the "new computing era" is heading.

Righ now the best choice offered is the mac mini BTO i7(tier 2) then get the SSD drive and RAM from ebay and an external TB HDD. It'll have the same power as a Mac Pro 2010 plus USB3, TB and FW800

My 2c

Last edited:

Bargle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
We get it. You're the sheep that doesn't go with the herd. The norms are so dumb and clueless it makes you hurt sometimes. Catcher in the Rye is the greatest book in the English Language.

We get it. Most people don't have the free time to waste the mental energy on parsing what's true and what's false in a well constructed multi-million dollar advertising pitch from a slew of Harvard psychologists turned advertising pros. They are busy worrying about getting sick and not having health care and other real problems that aren't classified under, "problems rich white people have"--the problem of thinking a 3000 computer is thicker than it's advertising hints at.

Instead of ******** on people who don't have your free time to keep tabs on apple for misleading advertising, why don't you focus your ire on the wolves and not the other sheep?

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
We get it. You're the sheep that doesn't go with the herd. The norms are so dumb and clueless it makes you hurt sometimes. Catcher in the Rye is the greatest book in the English Language.

Actually, that isn't the origin of the name... and I hated Cather in the Rye.

But you find me irritating, cool. You may have a point, I should probably move along.

It has been interesting watching this whole iMac thing unfold though.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I find that it's hard to think in other people's perspectives a lot of the time. We're all obsessed with every detail of what Apple does, and this kind of thing is obvious to us, but to most people, it isn't, and they just give it all a quick glance.

The first time I saw the new iMac was when Apple posted it on their site, and I met the thinness that they portrayed it with with some skepticism until I saw the side picture, but some just don't care that much.

Amblydoper

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Are you seriously suggesting that people should blindly follow authority and stop thinking for themselves? Do you really believe people are so preoccupied with health problems, that they can't "waste mental energy" thinking about other topics? You really underestimate the average human intelligence, which is pretty low to begin with.

Most people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Most people can't walk and solve complex differential equations like a robot at the same time, but they have that gum chewing thing down. The OP is asking that consumers pay a little bit more attention to the products they're interested in, instead of buying right in to the advertising mojo of those Harvard psychologists. Because those Harvard guys have that differential equation thing down, and they'll lord it over the rest of us, if we let them. But we don't have to let them get away with it.

Those wolves are gonna get a sheep every now and then. They're great at picking off the young and the weak. But, you are suggesting that the sheep just stand around, raging at those wolves, and being pissed off. The OP is suggesting that we pay attention, keep an eye out, and run when the wolves show up. If I had to choose flocks, I'd pick the OP's flock, scampering away across the meadow, over your's, sitting there under the big sign that says "eat me".

We get it. Most people don't have the free time to waste the mental energy on parsing what's true and what's false in a well constructed multi-million dollar advertising pitch from a slew of Harvard psychologists turned advertising pros. They are busy worrying about getting sick and not having health care and other real problems that aren't classified under, "problems rich white people have"--the problem of thinking a 3000 computer is thicker than it's advertising hints at.

Instead of ******** on people who don't have your free time to keep tabs on apple for misleading advertising, why don't you focus your ire on the wolves and not the other sheep?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The good thing is they are teaching Americans to measure in mm. That is worth something!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
This isn't real, that kid has got to be trolling.

I made it all the way to "...other laptops that Mac makes".

Or how he talks about how it's so thin, it'll be fragile so you don't want to move it around at all...I don't understand why he would make a review if he doesn't know what he's talking about unless he's trolling.

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I honestly don't know if he is trolling, I found several such "reviews" of the item. His view, even if fake, is not that different from what other people have said, so it's illustrates the point. Even so, it does look pretty foolish on my part to be complaining about such a thing and then myself be unobservant. If true, Ironic.

I've got to leave this site, I think I'm getting dizzy from all the rumors myself. Plus, I think I'm coming off far more condescending than I intended.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Or how he talks about how it's so thin, it'll be fragile so you don't want to move it around at all...I don't understand why he would make a review if he doesn't know what he's talking about unless he's trolling.

I'm sure he's not trolling. He's just another clueless dolt trying to feel important by doing a vlog on youtube.

But he's young and can be forgiven for getting it all wrong. The Cult of Mac need a naughty little slap on the wrists though.

I'm loving the new iMac, but that's just lazy to keep their write up that way.

Payton

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2006
Portland, OR
To Apple's credit… they drop the weight of the 27'' considerably. I'll agree that the kid in the video is not of the highest intelligence (he really has no idea what he's talking about, poor guy).

I think most people truly interested in buying an iMac are smart enough to realize that it's the design aspect that's so attractive. No, it's not actually 5mm thin all the way through, but that's obvious. Just look at it.

However, it appears to be that thin from the perspective that most people will have of the computer. It's an optical illusion and a very impressive one at that. Similar to how Apple touted the thinness of the Air, it was similarly beveled to appear thin, almost floating on the surface. But, like the iMac, it's much thicker than it looks from the edge.

Another thing to keep in mind. These sites, including Cult of Mac and the one you're looking at right now, make their money from the ads on their pages. These are most likely ads that provide revenue based on pageviews, and so accurate reporting takes a backseat to entertainment (sales) value. This is the world we live in.

maxmaxmaxmax

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
People Are Stupid

Yes, exactly. All people who does not have exactly your needs are stupid.

It is impossible that people don´t care for technical details. It is impossible that people maybe have a live, don't care for IT, don't live in forums to complain all day.

The new iMac is not 5mm all the way, only the edges. Who care? This thing looks very nice, most people will only see the edges, the middle part is pointing to a wall.

Most people will just go into the Apple Store, make there own picture of this thing and will buy it, be cause it looks way cooler than any of the other cheap cheap Korea plastic crap.

The iMac does not fit you needs? Go ahead, buy a PC.

But don´t call people stupid because the do not have exactly your needs!

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

If you are going to make an informative video then make sure that you get your facts straight first, simple, this does not need to be explained. If it was not for others making the correction then who is to determine right from wrong, Apple?

This video just shows the power of Apple's marketing campaign and how they not only have genius with their products but also their advertising too. A bit like their hardware software concept.

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Another great post my man. If I was that kid I'd delete the video ASAP. "The iMac will snap" lol.

As for Apples marketing it's misleading yes but most will buy it and find out when they get home it's not as thin as it looked in the site or Aplle tried to make it look in the keynote. What I don't like is if it was Samsung people would be gunning for them, Just as Apple now say the iPad you can hold in one hand, just like the SG S3 right?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.