Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Completely drained my Mini. Plugged in and shut down. 3 hours later I'm just under 70%. Unacceptable considering how small the battery is.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
not totally bad

10+ hours during the day

plug it in at night

what's wrong with that?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
the mini comes with the slower charger, for some Apple reason.

but you can buy the 12 watt charger and it will charge faster.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
hmm not too bad.. I'm actually surprised. besides the obvious form factor of the mini, this is the only other upside I see to it so far.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
It sure does. While it wasn't drained, I plugged mine in at 28% and it seemed to be getting about 1% every minute or so.

I don't believe that. If 12W charges THAT much faster than 5W, it's could very likely be doing some damage to the battery. Slowly, but surely.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
lol i read the title and though thats pretty fast

you should try charging an ipad 3

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Apparently every single negative observation will result in someone saying this is a benefit. Now a 5hr charge time is now considered GOOD? What?!?!

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
iPad 3 takes almost 10 hours for me

this,
i used to plug it all night 7+ hours, and it would never be fully charged

Apparently every single negative observation will result in someone saying this is a benefit. Now a 5hr charge time is now considered GOOD? What?!?!

hell, i never said its good, but its not that bad
The Galaxy Tab 7 takes around 3-4 hours, so 4-5 hours is within the norm

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I don't believe that. If 12W charges THAT much faster than 5W, it's could very likely be doing some damage to the battery. Slowly, but surely.

These are 3.7volts lithium batterys, depends on the capacity it can very well lower the life of the battery charging it with a higher output or make things not safe.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
My ipad 3 takes 5 - 6 hours to fully charge to 100% after battery drain completely. I'm using he 10w adapter I was thinking about getting the 12w I'll air until I see how fast it really charges.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
These are 3.7volts lithium batterys, depends on the capacity it can very well lower the life of the battery charging it with a higher output or make things not safe.

They're supposed to cap whatever power they *can* draw. I don't think the mini will really draw 12W. But it'll definitely draw more than with the 5W.

It's also sold as compatible with all iPads, mini included, iPhones and iPods. Even the shuffle :p

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
They're supposed to cap whatever power they *can* draw. I don't think the mini will really draw 12W. But it'll definitely draw more than with the 5W.

It's also sold as compatible with all iPads, mini included, iPhones and iPods. Even the shuffle :p

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter

Either way the "charger" its just a power source, the one in hand its listed at 5volts so its up to the device to regulate the amps that flow.

I conclude these is all a placebo effect and using the ipad "charger" will not change nothing; these batterys are rated 3.7volts, it depends on how many MAH the battery is rated and the device will regulate at what pace it will charge.

Ps. Sorry for the english.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I conclude these is all a placebo effect and using the ipad "charger" will not change nothing; these batterys are rated 3.7volts, it depends on how many MAH the battery is rated and the device will regulate at what pace it will charge.

Ps. Sorry for the english.

Yes, but if it can draw more than the charger will provide, then you'll see a gain with a more powerful charger. I'm no electronician, and physics were not my strong point in school, so I'm not going to enter further into the debate ;)

No worries for the english, not my native language either :D

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yes, but if it can draw more than the charger will provide, then you'll see a gain with a more powerful charger. I'm no electronician, and physics were not my strong point in school, so I'm not going to enter further into the debate ;)

No worries for the english, not my native language either :D

I cant draw more power, it will regulate the volt wich in the iphone power source are rated 5volts but these batterys dont charge at 5volt or they most likely will blow up.

:p im also not electrician etc but i know a bit due to ecigs/pvs; lithium batterys the same standart and damm well i do my research if im going to put it in my mouth :D

Damm wouldnt know your english is not native.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
I thought that my mini charges pretty damn quick. Especially compared to the full size ipad which takes absolutely ages to charge

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Btw do whe know the capacity of both devices ? Battery capacity of course.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Anyone confirmed that the 12W actually charges the Mini significantly faster? Mere compatibility with the adapter doesn't mean it will charge faster, just that it works.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Charged via iPad adapter (12A?) from 60% to 100% was just over hour. Crazy fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.