Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:17 PM   #51
mldm70
macrumors newbie

If you don't have the red light...

Another forum suggested another fix which worked for me (and I did not have the red light). Turn off laptop. When you're turning it back on, as soon as the gray screen appears hit OPT+COMMAND+P+R at the same time for about 20 seconds. Logged in & it was working. Went to system preferences/sound/output & Internal Speakers magically re-appeared.
mldm70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:39 AM   #52
kkumana
macrumors newbie

Easy Solution - FIXED IMMEDIATELY!!

I just started having the same problem 30 mins ago, and immediately came here to find an answer. I was disappointed to see post after post of people getting hardware components replaced, and even people sticking toothpicks inside their computers. Finally I came across one guy who stuck a paperclip with tape on it into the headphone jack and not only did it fix the problem, but some dust/dirt was stuck to it. So I tried the easiest solution and it worked.

BLOW INTO THE HEADPHONE JACK

It immediately worked
kkumana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:17 PM   #53
Minicube
macrumors regular

I verified this was a hardware problem by booting off an external drive; still no sound.

And for those of you who can't get it to work no matter what, get a pair of bluetooth speakers. The Creative D100's are only about $60; sound is much better anyway...
Minicube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:16 PM   #54
dbernie41
macrumors regular

Toothpick worked like a charm. Another reason I love this forum.
dbernie41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:25 PM   #55
Sdannenberg3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicube View Post
I verified this was a hardware problem by booting off an external drive; still no sound.

And for those of you who can't get it to work no matter what, get a pair of bluetooth speakers. The Creative D100's are only about $60; sound is much better anyway...
Thats not the point... And it has other effects as well, such as I cant stream to my apple TV because of this. Dont know why that would be, but I cant.

And to whoever said its because of abuse to the plug, NO ITS NOT. I have NEVER used my headphone jack once, and I went today and bought the adapter to try optical for the first time ever and now its stuck on optical. FIRST time ever... explain how that is caused from abuse and not and apple flaw and ill suck your you know what.... and im NOT gonna come suck you off lolol.
Sdannenberg3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:13 AM   #56
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbernie41 View Post
Toothpick worked like a charm. Another reason I love this forum.
I second the motion!

MacBook 1st Gen now working. Took 5 seconds with the toothpick gently pushing to the side turning the red light off.

THANK YOU ♪(ノ∀`*)ノ
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:16 AM   #57
mous
macrumors newbie

The hard way :-)

Some time ago I had the same problem on my Mac Book. I had another Macbook with a broken main board, so I decided to wrack the connector. This showed clearly how the switch inside the connector works. After that I opened my working mac and the connector and cleaned it. Follow the instruction here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/M...-Battery/297/1, but not all the way! Don't remove the main board, or the cpu-cooler. Go so far that you can reach the metal strip on top of the connectors. This strip should be bend so that the connector is reachable. See first photo.The audio connector is inside a metal box. That box is for radio wave interference and for strength. So you can just wrack it open with pincers and a screw driver. Just watch out you don't drop any metal parts on the main board! When the box is removed, remove the plastic top. Now it is quite simple to clean the switch. See photo 2, the arrow is pointing to the switch. Don't be confused by the photo, you shouldn't remove the connector from the main board! On the left you see the wracked metal box. I used compressed air to clean the switch. When done (just connect the keyboard and start your mac to test), put back the plastic top, put some tape on it to keep it together and if you don't use brute force injecting a connector, you will be fine...
Hope this helps!

mous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:38 PM   #58
DrZ459
macrumors newbie

Solved the problem

Used the toothpick in a mid 2009 17" MBP. The red light disappeared after a few seconds and the internal speakers option reappeared.
DrZ459 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio