Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:45 AM   #301
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by HE15MAN View Post
No way West Virginia would beat LSU. That defense would shut their gimmick offense down completely
I agree that LSU would beat WVU. Not only because of LSU's defense but because of WVU's lack of one.

I also like Arky over Baylor and I think Ole Miss-TCU is a tossup without Pachall. TCU's defense isn't what it was the last few years, their offense turns the ball over a lot, and Ole Miss has really come on the last month or so.

Georgia-OU would be a great matchup. I think Jarvis would eat Landry's lunch in the battle of these Joneses.
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:04 PM   #302
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
I agree that LSU would beat WVU. Not only because of LSU's defense but because of WVU's lack of one.

I also like Arky over Baylor and I think Ole Miss-TCU is a tossup without Pachall. TCU's defense isn't what it was the last few years, their offense turns the ball over a lot, and Ole Miss has really come on the last month or so.

Georgia-OU would be a great matchup. I think Jarvis would eat Landry's lunch in the battle of these Joneses.
Looks at avatar.

Hmm, wonder why you think such things?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:34 PM   #303
Italianblend
macrumors 65816

Chances Pitt can beat Notre Dame...go!

P---I---T---T---P-I-T-T-PITT LET'S GO PITT
Italianblend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:36 PM   #304
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:

Your SEC bias is showing
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:36 PM   #305
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Looks at avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Your SEC bias is showing
Not so. I've watched the Big 12 since its inception and have been to more than 100 Big 12 games over the years.
  • I have a graduate degree from TCU, have a wife who worked there, live five minutes from campus and pay close attention to them. The Frogs are not the same team they've been, which is why they've been blown out a couple of times already this year. Their defense is inexperienced and, quite frankly, just not very good this year. They have a starting, freshamn QB who who was converted to RB two days before Pachall got kicked off the team.
  • Baylor has always sucked and, after a brief, RG3-inspired interlude, is right back to being horrible.
  • WVU's defense is horrible; everyone knows this.
  • Landry Jones has melted on the big stage time and again. Everyone knows this. Jarvis Jones is a stud along the same lines as Manti Te'o. He would give OU's offense a lot of problems, without question.
  • Ole Miss has a new coach, a new system and is playing with a lot of confidence. I'm not sure they would beat Okie State (nor did I say they would) but I do think Ole Miss would give the Pokes a run for their money because neither plays defense very well and both have explosive offenses.

If you object with these premises, that's fine, but perhaps you have a pro-Big 12 (or anti-SEC) bias you need to get in check.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:27 PM   #306
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not so. I've watched the Big 12 since its inception and have been to more than 100 Big 12 games over the years.
  • I have a graduate degree from TCU, have a wife who worked there, live five minutes from campus and pay close attention to them. The Frogs are not the same team they've been, which is why they've been blown out a couple of times already this year. Their defense is inexperienced and, quite frankly, just not very good this year. They have a starting, freshamn QB who who was converted to RB two days before Pachall got kicked off the team.
  • Baylor has always sucked and, after a brief, RG3-inspired interlude, is right back to being horrible.
  • WVU's defense is horrible; everyone knows this.
  • Landry Jones has melted on the big stage time and again. Everyone knows this. Jarvis Jones is a stud along the same lines as Manti Te'o. He would give OU's offense a lot of problems, without question.
  • Ole Miss has a new coach, a new system and is playing with a lot of confidence. I'm not sure they would beat Okie State (nor did I say they would) but I do think Ole Miss would give the Pokes a run for their money because neither plays defense very well and both have explosive offenses.

If you object with these premises, that's fine, but perhaps you have a pro-Big 12 (or anti-SEC) bias you need to get in check.
1) TCU's D might be down, but they're still better than Ole Miss - a scrub SEC team. A scrub B12 team, Texas, threw up 60+ on them.

2) Baylor is still racking up 50 points a game, while Arkansas let an equal (at best, Texas A&M) offense rack up 58. You're crazy.

3) LSU has nowhere near the offense to put up 47 again - maybe 17 if they're lucky. Plus WVU put up 21 on perhaps the #2 defense of last year and their D isn't as good this year. I'm sure LSU forces turnovers, but not enough to win.

4) Ask Texas how Landry Jones did. Then ask Georgia where they were against S. Carolina.

I still feel pretty fine with my picks and would put money on them. I'm a B1G fan, so I have little care for the Big 12 or SEC.
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:54 PM   #307
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
1) TCU's D might be down, but they're still better than Ole Miss - a scrub SEC team. A scrub B12 team, Texas, threw up 60+ on them.
Maybe, maybe not. Ole Miss certainly got whipped by UTex (who is not good) but they've gotten better since then. Still, TCU might take them, but let's not forget that TCU got smoked by Iowa State and completely shut down by Okie State's crappy D.

Quote:
2) Baylor is still racking up 50 points a game, while Arkansas let an equal (at best, Texas A&M) offense rack up 58. You're crazy.
Baylor has been held to 21 two of their last three games. A&M and Manziel are infinitely better. You're nuts if you can't see that. Last year's Baylor teamówith RG3ówas 27 points worse than A&M.

Quote:
3) LSU has nowhere near the offense to put up 47 again - maybe 17 if they're lucky. Plus WVU put up 21 on perhaps the #2 defense of last year and their D isn't as good this year. I'm sure LSU forces turnovers, but not enough to win.
Never said LSU's offense was good. They're putrid. You know what's worse, though? WVU's defense. Probably the worst defense in the nation (or maybe second-worst ahead of Baylor). If Texas Tech and Kansas State can completely shut down WVU's offense, what makes you think LSU's can't?

Quote:
4) Ask Texas how Landry Jones did. Then ask Georgia where they were against S. Carolina.
Texas is awful this year (and they're a "scrub team" according to you). They're 96th in total defense and 97th in scoring defense. What Landry Jones did to them doesn't really apply here.

Georgia isn't great but neither is OU. They've played three decent teams (ND-good, K-State-good, TTech-above average) and gone 1-2 in those games. Both losses were at home.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:16 PM   #308
eric/

Quote:

I still feel pretty fine with my picks and would put money on them. I'm a B1G fan, so I have little care for the Big 12 or SEC.
Same, though I try to remain objective. I don't really care at all.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:37 PM   #309
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502

"The Tiebreaker".... Roll Tide Roll

I do live in the heart of SEC country but I just football.

1. Bama vs Lsu

2. Usc vs Oregon

3. WV vs TCU

4. Ole Miss vs Georgia (This could be a major upset depending on what Georgia team shows up.. Ole Miss has been playing some good football lately and with their hurry up offense may surprise them)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6_543264.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	374095  
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:26 AM   #310
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

My picks for this week...

#1 Alabama @ #5 LSU
#23 Oklahoma State @ #2 Kansas State
#4 Oregon @ #17 USC
Ole Miss @ #6 Georgia
#12 Oklahoma @ Iowa State
#16 Texas A&M @ #15 Mississippi State
#23 Texas @ #18 Texas Tech
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:23 PM   #311
eric/

Quote:
My picks for this week...

#1 Alabama @ #5 LSU
#23 Oklahoma State @ #2 Kansas State
#4 Oregon @ #17 USC
Ole Miss @ #6 Georgia
#12 Oklahoma @ Iowa State
#16 Texas A&M @ #15 Mississippi State
#23 Texas @ #18 Texas Tech
Alabama big over LSU (like 17 point spread)

K State over Oklahoma State by a trillion points

Oregon big over USC (21+)

Georgia 14 points over Ole Miss

Oklahoma over Iowa State barely (3 points or less)

A&M over Mississipi State

Texas over Texas Tech

Last edited by eric/; Nov 2, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:27 PM   #312
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I said weeks ago the Ole Miss game would be a trap game for the Dawgs
And that would have been true win or lose against the Gators

However...
At home
Homecoming
Renewed defense
Healthy Jarvis Jones
Ole Miss D that gives up yards on the ground
SEC East on the line

I like the Dawgs in this one
But they rarely make it easy
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:03 PM   #313
jwingfie
macrumors 6502a

My favorite weekend in sports. My alma mater vs. my lifelong favorite. Either way, I'm going home a winner. As much as i'd love to see an Ole Miss upset, I still want UGA to win. Too much on the line for Georgia.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:02 PM   #314
steve2112
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I said weeks ago the Ole Miss game would be a trap game for the Dawgs
And that would have been true win or lose against the Gators

However...
At home
Homecoming
Renewed defense
Healthy Jarvis Jones
Ole Miss D that gives up yards on the ground
SEC East on the line

I like the Dawgs in this one
But they rarely make it easy
All I have to say is Go Dawgs! Both of 'em!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:34 PM   #315
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2112 View Post
All I have to say is Go Dawgs! Both of 'em!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:14 AM   #316
steve2112
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What the hell is he doing in that picture?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:23 AM   #317
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

I think it's a little salute celebration after a TD.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:22 AM   #318
John McWilliams
macrumors newbie

OU and UG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Looks at avatar.

You may be right about Landry Jones, Has had a real horrible game but that was due to K-States defense and areal bad game against Notre Dame, a team which has always had OU's number, but they could start Bell and that would be a whole new ball game. BOOMER SOONER

----------

Quote:
I think it's a little salute celebration after a TD.
I'd have to agree with you except for UG and OLE MISS I'd pick Ole Miss and hope the folks in Oxford would have something to celebrate, but that would probably not happen. BOOMER SOONER
John McWilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:44 AM   #319
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

I honestly can't figure out why OU hasn't looked at playing Bell more, especially against the more physical defenses.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:41 AM   #320
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Mississippi State is wearing new, "icy" white uniforms today to commemorate their "Snow Bowl" victory over A&M from 2000. In response, A&M is wearing...black. So in the battle of two maroon teams...no one is wearing maroon. Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	374684   Click image for larger version

Name:	LPBZWSLNWPSIYKS.20121103140501.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	374687  
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:39 AM   #321
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Mississippi State is wearing new, "icy" white uniforms today to commemorate their "Snow Bowl" victory over A&M from 2000. In response, A&M is wearing...black. So in the battle of two maroon teams...no one is wearing maroon. Weird.
I blame Oregon for all of this nonsense
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:23 PM   #322
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Johnny Football
Passing: 30/36, 311 yards
Rushing: 29 carries, 129 yards, 2 TD (not including a TD run incorrectly ruled a fumble)

Ags roll 38-13

Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:54 PM   #323
rhett7660
macrumors G3

^Glad to see the Ags win this one!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:36 PM   #324
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
^Glad to see the Ags win this one!
Roll Tide. Looking forward to a (hopefully) prime time showdown in Tuscaloosa next week!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:55 PM   #325
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Roll Tide. Looking forward to a (hopefully) prime time showdown in Tuscaloosa next week!
Yes it is, however I try not to look that far ahead. Have a big one today with LSU! All about hating Purple and Yellow week!

RollTide!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion