Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
itnorfolk
macrumors newbie

Redsn0w Jailbreak... How do I know if it worked?

Hey Guys,

I've got an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1

I just did a factory restore on it and ran Redsn0w 0.9.15b1

Cydia is installed on the handset but if I use a 3 sim card which I know is working fine I simply get "No Service"

I don't have a t-mobile sim card here to try (thats what it was working on before I did this lol)

I remember a long time ago you installed Cydia but then had to install other software on the handset too, but from what I can see redsn0w is now a one click job...

Any ideas guys?
itnorfolk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2
seanwebb68
macrumors 6502

Jailbraking and unlocking your iPhone for different carries are two different things...

You have only jailbroken your phone.
seanwebb68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
itnorfolk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwebb68 View Post
Jailbraking and unlocking your iPhone for different carries are two different things...

You have only jailbroken your phone.
Ahhhh ok, stupid question, but how do I unlock my carrier?

Doh, I feel so dumb!

edit: let me rephrase that, I'm using 5.1.1 with 04.12.02. A google produces about a million pages of results for unlock iphone 4 and if I already have cydia installed is there just an app I need to use etc? I see Ultrasn0w and blacksn0w etc but I used redsn0w so I dont want to use something that will conflict with that I've already done?

Last edited by itnorfolk; Nov 2, 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:14 AM   #4
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

buy an IMEI unlock online

At your present BB ultrasn0w won't work, on an IP it only works for BB 1.59.0

Last edited by TriJetHero; Nov 3, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: IMEI unlock only on that BB
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:41 AM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3

The only thing that will unlock that baseband is an IMEI unlock from the carrier who sold the phone or a grey market vendor.

Neither Ultrasn0w nor a sim interposer will work.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:21 AM   #6
labman
macrumors 604

Sorry but this is why you should know what your doing before you do it. Unless something changes it's doubtful we will see many more software unlocks. checj Ebay for IEMI unlocks there is a huge thread on it here if you carrier won't do it.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:42 AM   #7
itnorfolk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
Sorry but this is why you should know what your doing before you do it. Unless something changes it's doubtful we will see many more software unlocks. checj Ebay for IEMI unlocks there is a huge thread on it here if you carrier won't do it.
Indeed, maybe I should have researched a bit more before starting but its all a learning curve. I was confused as I thought simply jailbreaking a device was unlocking it... I did the jailbreak and couldnt work out what I did wrong.... Obviously I did nothing wrong, the jailbreak worked - its just a shame that the BB cant be altered so the jailbreak was for nothing as I can only use an IMEI service now.

Thanks for all the input though guys. I asked and I found lol

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks