Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:44 AM   #1
sundog925
macrumors 6502a

Site to sell iPad?

Anyone sell their iPad on one of those cash websites? how'd it go?
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:38 AM   #2
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Nope. Sold mine to Amazon for what equates to store credit. Plan on doing my Christmas shopping on there. Amazon dinged me $40 because of what they claim were "light scratches." Boo.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:59 AM   #3
maflynn

Gazelle seems to be popular and I did used them for my iPhone 4 and got what they promised
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:04 AM   #4
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Gazelle seems to be popular and I did used them for my iPhone 4 and got what they promised
I've used Gazelle as well for iPhones and iPads. They quote you a price which is good for 30 days I believe. Even if the price goes down the price on your quote stays the same provided you send in your device before the time expires. If you are honest about the condition of your device you get exactly what they promised. Shortly after they get your device and inspect it they immediately send you a check. Just recently sold them my iPad 2. Glad to be getting my price quote as the price dropped 2 or 3 times (closer to the iPad Mini launch).
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:15 AM   #5
cfs
macrumors 6502a

If these companies change the quote once they get your device do you have the option of having the device mailed back?

Thanks
cfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:36 AM   #6
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Bad Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfs View Post
If these companies change the quote once they get your device do you have the option of having the device mailed back?

Thanks
Sounds like a dishonest practice. Who does that?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
cfs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsAWiz View Post
Sounds like a dishonest practice. Who does that?
Don't know. I tried to find the info. so I thought I would ask. Maybe I should have asked, what is the procedure?

Last edited by cfs; Nov 3, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
cfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:59 AM   #8
gsampson85
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfs View Post

Thanks
eBay did this to me. Promised me 400 or so for my iPhone 4 and once they got it told me they would only give me $100! Device was like new with all accessories and box. Even had a full body invisible shield.

Good thing, they sent it back to me for free.
gsampson85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Got quotes from eBay & Gazelle for my iPad 3. EBay was the most generous but decided it was too soon to take such a huge loss on a perfectly fine device.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Got quotes from eBay & Gazelle for my iPad 3. EBay was the most generous but decided it was too soon to take such a huge loss on a perfectly fine device.
You say most generous, I'd say less stingy. And I agree with you on staying put on my 3.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:07 AM   #11
ansabakhan
macrumors 65816

did u try selling local?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
You say most generous, I'd say less stingy. And I agree with you on staying put on my 3.
Yeah, I was being facetious. But Apple trimming $100 off new 3s didn't help either. Apple is selling "refurb" 64GB ATT 3rd gens for $679 so best you can hope to sell a used one on eBay is probably $625 - 12% is misc fees - free shipping = $535 walkout. eBay was offering me $500 so not that terrible of an offer considering. Gazelle was downright insulting at $450.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:25 AM   #13
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansabakhan View Post
did u try selling local?
I put a trial balloon up on CL, but I didn't even get any responses from lowballers or scammers, fer cryin' out loud!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:13 PM   #14
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Cool! I didn't know that eBay bought used devices. Do they also pay for shipping? How long before you receive your money from them?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:06 PM   #15
drewfus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to drewfus
With Gazelle, does your offer amount go down if you don't send in the charger? I got an offer on my iPad 3 just before the iPad event. Now...on Gazelle's FAQ page, it says that with iPhones, accessories don't affect payment, but with computers/displays, the accessories do affect it. It doesn't mention iPads at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
drewfus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Samuriajackon
macrumors 6502

I live by a college. So Craigslist is my best sale option. Done sold me two MacBooks, an iPad, and a smoothly used Xbox.
-iPhone 4s
Samuriajackon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsAWiz View Post
Cool! I didn't know that eBay bought used devices. Do they also pay for shipping? How long before you receive your money from them?
They pay shipping. I didn't go through with the sale so can't say how quick payment is mailed out.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:09 AM   #18
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

eBay's Instant Sell

Quote:
They pay shipping. I didn't go through with the sale so can't say how quick payment is mailed out.
Glad to hear that you were offered a good deal, although you didn't take it.
I checked eBay's instant sell (assuming that's what you used) and they were offering me way less than Gazelle. I also got an estimate for a Wii I traded in at GameStop for $70 and all they offered was $25. Guess, it's like spinning the wheel in the Wheel of Fortune.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfus View Post
With Gazelle, does your offer amount go down if you don't send in the charger? I got an offer on my iPad 3 just before the iPad event. Now...on Gazelle's FAQ page, it says that with iPhones, accessories don't affect payment, but with computers/displays, the accessories do affect it. It doesn't mention iPads at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Don't know. I've always sent in the same stuff my device came with (charger and cable). Not sure if the, included, charger and cable are considered "accessories". Perhaps someone, here, sent in a "naked" device without the charger and cable to Gazelle and can provide an accurate answer.

Last edited by AJsAWiz; Nov 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
AJsAWiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Acorn
macrumors 68020

it seems that these sites lowball you. its a cool service because its a fast sale but its only if your desperate for cash imho. its equivalent to a pawn shop basically.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:06 AM   #20
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
it seems that these sites lowball you. its a cool service because its a fast sale but its only if your desperate for cash imho. its equivalent to a pawn shop basically.
Yep. They'll give you $700 for a maxed out 17" macbook pro
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:27 AM   #21
kahuna2793
macrumors newbie

Craigslist is the best place to sell. I sold my iPad 2 16gb for $300 it sold in less than a hour.
kahuna2793 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:38 AM   #22
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna2793 View Post
Craigslist is the best place to sell. I sold my iPad 2 16gb for $300 it sold in less than a hour.
You did well
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:52 AM   #23
DaReaper
macrumors member

I paid $800 for my 64g 4g ipad and I can barely get $600 for it
DaReaper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #24
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Not sure if Mac of all trades does iPads, but they give a good amount more on laptops than gazelle
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:30 AM   #25
orangecrushv
macrumors member

I used Amazon for my iPhone 4 and have my iPad 2 all boxed up to be shipped today. Amazon gift cards are as good as cash to me and they beat gazelle by a good margin on both...

Forgot to mention, I submitted my phones as "good" condition and they bumped them up to "like new" and paid the higher amount to me...

Last edited by orangecrushv; Nov 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: adding info
orangecrushv is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad