Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:44 AM   #1
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Using 3GS to control wi fi music

I don't know anything about iPhones. I have a home wi fi network and my flatmate has a 3GS.

Is it possible to use the 3GS iPhone app to control a set of speakers that I have plugged into the wi fi network via an airport express.

If so, how do you get to the preferences for iTunes on the 3GS.

Also, I think it has the iOS that it came with, is it a good idea or a bad idea to upgrade this phone to iOS 6
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Mr.C
macrumors 68020

Are you actually trying to control the speakers themselves or iTunes ? If its iTunes then you can download the Apple Remote App from the App Store. It allows you to control iTunes over Wi-Fi from an iOS device.

As for whether its a good idea to upgrade the 3GS to iOS 6 I couldn't say. Hopefully someone else can answer that.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
I don't know anything about iPhones. I have a home wi fi network and my flatmate has a 3GS.

Is it possible to use the 3GS iPhone app to control a set of speakers that I have plugged into the wi fi network via an airport express.

If so, how do you get to the preferences for iTunes on the 3GS.

Also, I think it has the iOS that it came with, is it a good idea or a bad idea to upgrade this phone to iOS 6
I have 2 3GS on iOS 6 currently. Both are working fine, although you shouldn't expect it to be as fast as the iPhone 5. But if you're currently on iOS 5.1.1, I suggest you stay that way. Not a lot of features on iOS 6 worth upgrading for, besides google maps is WAY better, I can assure you.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Are you actually trying to control the speakers themselves or iTunes ? If its iTunes then you can download the Apple Remote App from the App Store. It allows you to control iTunes over Wi-Fi from an iOS device.
What I'm wanting to do is for the 3GS to be able to access the shared music library on my iMac which can stream to the air tunes speakers. Much as another iMac could do.

Do I need the iTunes remote app to do that or can the iOS iTunes app do that?

thanks
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:14 PM   #5
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
What I'm wanting to do is for the 3GS to be able to access the shared music library on my iMac which can stream to the air tunes speakers. Much as another iMac could do.

Do I need the iTunes remote app to do that or can the iOS iTunes app do that?

thanks
The Remote app allows you to control iTunes on a Mac. Home sharing has to be on. I have it on my 3GS and use it to control (Play, Pause, Stop, volume, etc) iTunes on my 17" PowerBook G4. It's handy when the Mac is across the room and you're on the couch.

Both the Mac with the iTunes app you want to control and the iPhone have to be on the same wireless network though for this to work. Also, the Remote app is free, so if you don't care for it you won't be out any money.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone