Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
You can have a stuttering experience on a high powered android device and a smooth experience on a much slower device if it is architected well and efficiently implemented.

Right...

My iPhone 4 is stuttering like hell on iOS 6, so...

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Right...

My iPhone 4 is stuttering like hell on iOS 6, so...

Specially if the camera is open in the background, then my iPhone 4 lags as hell.

Back on topic, a friend in a IIIrd world country ask me to buy them as Samsung S3 (they are NFC developers) and I had to test it to make sure it works and ain't SIM Locked.

To me it didn't felt cheap. Of course compare to the iPhone 4 it's much lighter and hence feels less value. But since the iPhone 5 is out the core Apple supporters are basically confused since suddenly less weight is better.

The rear cover, when taken off, does feel very fragile and feels a bit like those covers that are on top of McDonalds drink cups. But only when you hold it by itself, fixed to S3 you wouldn't notice.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
my iphone 4 before I sold it ran smooth in io6 but I also didn't jailbreak it. My GF phones runs buttery smooth and she has a 4 with io6.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
samsung plastic/android
apple glass/metal/ios
simple, now choose

Samsung Plastic, goes in a case. Doesn't matter/ Android is miles ahead of iOS, iOS has failed to catch up to Android and Windows Phone, even BB 10 looks miles ahead of iOS, why do you think Apple fired the iOS team leader?

Apple glass shatters when dropped to much, put it in a case./ iOS is outdated, with no features.

I pick Samsung.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
...Their screens are cheap...

That's interesting, because Samsung are generally considered to be the world leader in screen technology. It's most likely why Apple have used their screens in pretty much every iOS and Mac device which has a display going back years.

Also interesting to note is that when the same Apple device sources screens from different suppliers (Eg, Samsung and LG in the Macbook Air), the Samsung variant was almost always considered superior, with people going so far as to exchange their Apple product until they got one with a Samsung screen...

But then we all know that you don't let those pesky things called "facts" get in the way of your posts.

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Why are all Apples made from crappy aluminum that scratches or chips when you so much as blink at it?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Apple tries to avoid specs. Their focus is on how the device can help the user

I've watched pretty much every keynote every given by Steve Jobs on youtube, going back to 1996-7. He MASSIVELY focused on specs, but only when Apple's product had better specs than the competition.

When the Apple product being shown did not have better specs, the keynote is conspicuously devoid of spec information and instead focused on usability or some other aspect.

Anyone who has seen a decent amount of these videos, this is, people who can make an informed comment on this subject (which clearly isn't you), will attest to this. It's just salesmanship 101.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
But why can't they just make a diamond cut titanium/magnesium/aluminum unibody fused seamlessly with glass. Precise and durable.

Because it'll look like this:

new-1.jpg

You also could potentially lose the option for removal battery/micro sd card.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Specially if the camera is open in the background, then my iPhone 4 lags as hell.

Back on topic, a friend in a IIIrd world country ask me to buy them as Samsung S3 (they are NFC developers) and I had to test it to make sure it works and ain't SIM Locked.

To me it didn't felt cheap. Of course compare to the iPhone 4 it's much lighter and hence feels less value. But since the iPhone 5 is out the core Apple supporters are basically confused since suddenly less weight is better.

The rear cover, when taken off, does feel very fragile and feels a bit like those covers that are on top of McDonalds drink cups. But only when you hold it by itself, fixed to S3 you wouldn't notice.

I agree, this, for me, sums it up perfectly.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Why are all Apples made from crappy aluminum that scratches or chips when you so much as blink at it?

I am Apple neutral, certainly not a fanboy, I have quite a lot of complains about my iPhone 4 - but the build quality is certainly very good. I like the design too.

I guess you refer to the iPhone 5... OK, I get your point. I still wonder why that happens. I have an old HTC HD2, it's coffee brown aluminum too, now 3 years old, roughly treated, still no visible aluminum to see.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Price.

Plastic is 20% of the cost in tooling and 10% of the cost in manufacturing compared to aluminum and glass.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder why the iphone 5 has so many problems with scratches and stuff. I have a LOT of black anodized stuff on my motorcycle, with all the abuse they get I rarely see scratches or scuffs on them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
To me (the S3) didn't felt cheap. Of course compare to the iPhone 4 it's much lighter and hence feels less value. But since the iPhone 5 is out the core Apple supporters are basically confused since suddenly less weight is better.

You know, it's funny...

When I was growing up, everything weighed a ton, being made of wood and metal and using glass electron tubes.

Then transistors came out, and we were all excited about the reduction in size and weight. It was the dawn of the Space Age, and we were in it!

Now, decades later, some people think that more weight = good. Weird.

Now if it were made of gold, then yeah :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You know, it's funny...

When I was growing up, everything weighed a ton, made of wood and metal and using glass electron tubes.

Then transistors came out, we were all excited about the reduction in size and weight. It was the Atomic Space Age, man, and we were in it!

Now, decades later, some people think that more weight = good. Weird.

Now if it were made of gold, then yeah :)

Yeah I can relate. I got into the computer field in the early 80's. All of the computers I serviced were either in data centers or confined to their own climate controlled room. Way back when where a 10GB CDC disk drive was magic and was the size of a desk. When the mid 80's showed up all of those huge disk drives were being replaced by Winchester drives which you could hold in your hands.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I am Apple neutral, certainly not a fanboy, I have quite a lot of complains about my iPhone 4 - but the build quality is certainly very good. I like the design too.

I guess you refer to the iPhone 5... OK, I get your point. I still wonder why that happens. I have an old HTC HD2, it's coffee brown aluminum too, now 3 years old, roughly treated, still no visible aluminum to see.

I think that's because Apple uses a softer alloy of aluminum than other companies do. There may be reasons for it (perhaps thermal expansion or something? cost? I dunno). Of course, it may just be cheaper that way xD

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
The glass I can see, I think thats a premium material that weighs my opinion on a product but as far as the body... not as important. As long as it helps or does not hinder (titanium) the use of the product then its fine. I always put a small case on my phone anyways. I have a beautiful new iphone 5 but its in a $20 rubbery black case with green trim.

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Why is the iPhone made from cheap glass and cheap aluminum? See, I can make the same argument for Apple too.

Also, anyone who claims the iPhone is made from expensive premium materials is kidding themselves.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I could not be bothered to read the whole thread so not sure if someone already corrected the "Cheap Plastic" issue. Samsung phones are not made of cheap plastic this is a misconception that is Perpetuated on this forum.

They are in fact made of Polycarbonate.

See here for a description of Polycarbonate.

http://www.livsupplies.co.uk/Polycarbonate.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.