Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:41 AM   #1
sodium
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
How fast can iPod touch possibly go over wifi?

I got a Samsung’s 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot from Verizon. So I did a speed test on my iPod touch 4g and Asus netbook.

I went to speedtest.net through my netbook and get an impressive 20.12 Mbps download speed.

On my iPod touch 4g I used the speedtest.net app and get only 9.17 Mbps download speed.

Apparently iPod Touch download speed is much slower than the netbook. Is it normal? Why is iPod Touch much slower than the netbook? How fast can iPod touch possibly go over wifi?
sodium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Micjose
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium View Post
I got a Samsung’s 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot from Verizon. So I did a speed test on my iPod touch 4g and Asus netbook.

I went to speedtest.net through my netbook and get an impressive 20.12 Mbps download speed.

On my iPod touch 4g I used the speedtest.net app and get only 9.17 Mbps download speed.

Apparently iPod Touch download speed is much slower than the netbook. Is it normal? Why is iPod Touch much slower than the netbook? How fast can iPod touch possibly go over wifi?
My ipod touch 3G has reached 10.8Mbps and it has 802.11b/g unlike the 4g that has 802.11b/g/n which should be faster than mine..
__________________
Time is of the essence, make the best of it...
Micjose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:41 AM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium View Post
On my iPod touch 4g I used the speedtest.net app and get only 9.17 Mbps download speed.
Only? 9 MBPS is fast enough to anything on an ipod.
ECUpirate44 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:01 PM   #4
herdnerfer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint louis, MO
4-5

Ive never gotten more than 4-5 on my iPod touch, and about 10-13 on my iPad, with my home hsi maxing out at 18mbps....
__________________
iPad Retina Mini Wifi 16gb, 2x iPad Mini Wifi 16gb, iPhone 5s 16gb T-Mobile, AppleTV 3rd Gen
herdnerfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
bag
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
15-21

im on my itouch and i ran a test from speedtest . net and got around20-21 consistantly im on an ipod touch 4g
bag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Invincibilizer
macrumors 6502a
 
Invincibilizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
It depends on the home connection and cables that supply the data.
Invincibilizer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:10 PM   #7
bag
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincibilizer View Post
It depends on the home connection and cables that supply the data.
yeah man on my imac thats hardwired im pushin 25mbps and my service is advertised at 25 so its great
bag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincibilizer View Post
It depends on the home connection and cables that supply the data.
Not when it's wireless.
__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Grootstyr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
It does depend on what Wireless settings you use. WPA2/AES requires a lot more cpu power than WEP for example.
On my iPod 1G it makes a whole lot of difference whether I use the WEP or WPA2/AES encryption. (Think of a difference between 15 and 8Mbps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Not when it's wireless.
When using speedtest.net and its alternatives your home connection does matter. If you are having a 120Mbps home connection you can see the full potential of your Wireless access point. But when your home connection is only pushing 5Mbps, your speedtest.net will never be higher than 5Mbps while your Wireless access point may provide you with more than 5Mbps locally.

Solution 1: get faster internet
Solution 2: use lan-based speed testing.
Grootstyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 03:04 AM   #10
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootstyr View Post
Solution 2: use lan-based speed testing.
Impossible on the iPod Touch.
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootstyr View Post


When using speedtest.net and its alternatives your home connection does matter. If you are having a 120Mbps home connection you can see the full potential of your Wireless access point. But when your home connection is only pushing 5Mbps, your speedtest.net will never be higher than 5Mbps while your Wireless access point may provide you with more than 5Mbps locally.

Solution 1: get faster internet
Solution 2: use lan-based speed testing.
No, a MiFi requires no wired connection. It's just the wireless device interacting with the MiFi over-the-air. No wires involved.
__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 03:18 AM   #12
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootstyr View Post
WPA2/AES requires a lot more cpu power than WEP for example.
The WLAN hardware (RaLink, Broadcom and others) encrypts/decrypts data streams (RC4 for WEP, AES for WPA/WPA2). These chips contain also hardware units to compute CRC16, CRC32 and some cryptographic hash functions. So the speed does not depend on the CPU of the system.
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:43 AM   #13
mrcowdude20
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
It can go up to 51.2345 MPH
mrcowdude20 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Tech Elementz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Somewhat near Wireless N speeds. Your mileage may vary.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowdude20 View Post
it can go up to 51.2345 mph
lol.
Tech Elementz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:50 AM   #15
tablo13
macrumors 65816
 
tablo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have 100mbps Internet and get about 20mbps when fast.
__________________
iPod touch 4th gen 32GB (jailbroken with limera1n and greenpois0n)
tablo13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:16 PM   #16
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000
 
Thetonyk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nowhere.
I have slow internet so about 4 mbps download and 0.3 upload. It seems speedy though when browsing the web on it.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
How you send feedback to apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
-Credit to iSayuSay for Avatar.
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:42 PM   #17
nickn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I have gotten over 25mbps on speedtest.net on my 4th gen iPod touch. The 4th gen iOS devices can connect at a top speed of 65mbps over wireless-n so that isn't your problem. I am not sure what the problem is with your device but one thought is are you sure both the computer and iPod tests are being taken on the same server? For me, the closest server won't go over about 15mbps which is what the iPod always selects but my computer picks a farther server, but that one can handle my whole 25mbps connection.
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:03 PM   #18
bag
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
I have gotten over 25mbps on speedtest.net on my 4th gen iPod touch. The 4th gen iOS devices can connect at a top speed of 65mbps over wireless-n so that isn't your problem. I am not sure what the problem is with your device but one thought is are you sure both the computer and iPod tests are being taken on the same server? For me, the closest server won't go over about 15mbps which is what the iPod always selects but my computer picks a farther server, but that one can handle my whole 25mbps connection.
how do you know the full speed?
bag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:25 PM   #19
nickn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bag View Post
how do you know the full speed?
This page also applies to the 4th gen iPod touch except for the 5ghz bits.

http://www.sniffwifi.com/2010/04/app...y-another.html

I can also verify that the iPod will never go above 65mbps with the now banned wififofum application. It showes the connected rate and has never gone above 65mbps with any wireless n router at any range.
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:18 PM   #20
androiphone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
This page also applies to the 4th gen iPod touch except for the 5ghz bits.

http://www.sniffwifi.com/2010/04/app...y-another.html

I can also verify that the iPod will never go above 65mbps with the now banned wififofum application. It showes the connected rate and has never gone above 65mbps with any wireless n router at any range.
no it doesn't the ipad and ipod touch are totally different, they use completely different wifi chips, so that article can only be applied to the iPad not the ipod touch
link and link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
I have gotten over 25mbps on speedtest.net on my 4th gen iPod touch. The 4th gen iOS devices can connect at a top speed of 65mbps over wireless-n so that isn't your problem. I am not sure what the problem is with your device but one thought is are you sure both the computer and iPod tests are being taken on the same server? For me, the closest server won't go over about 15mbps which is what the iPod always selects but my computer picks a farther server, but that one can handle my whole 25mbps connection.
on a 100Mbit connection through wifi N I could only ever get 13.5Mbit, you can force a server on the speedtest in the settings, do that and post a picture of the speedtest here (you take a picture by pressing the home and sleep button together) I want proof that it can achieve over what I got - pics or it didn't happen as the internet says.
androiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:25 AM   #21
nickn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by androiphone View Post
no it doesn't the ipad and ipod touch are totally different, they use completely different wifi chips, so that article can only be applied to the iPad not the ipod touch
Yes they use different chips, but both only support 5/6 ODFM coding so this article still applies.

Also here are several results over 13.5mbps for you.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0691.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	304045  
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:29 PM   #22
skiltrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
On my FiOS connection, my MacBook Pro gets 20mbps. My iPod touch gets about 10, half of the max. I think ~10 is the limit it can do.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz Quad i7 8GB RAM 750GB HD iPad mini retina 32GB iPod classic 160GB iPod touch 4 8GB
skiltrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:32 AM   #23
chirilla
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have read the thread here (and many others....)....still not clear to me how to INCREASE the speed over WiFi for my two sons' 4th gen ipod touches. I can get consistent 50Mbps on my MacBook and iPad with a Time Capsule base station (new). The ipods will NEVER go beyond ~4Mbps and usually hover around the 1Mbps mark....

BTW...closed all apps, restarted, etc....tried all the normal things to no avail....

Any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks
In
Advance!
chirilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:07 AM   #24
windowpain
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Japan
I was curious too, and just tested my 4G and 5G ipod touch.
This is over wifi (in Japan)

4G was 22.40Mbps down, 24.75 up ping 63ms
5G was 39.35Mbps down, 30.24 up ping 38ms

As you can see the 5G is considerably faster but you should be getting faster than you are doing with your 4G, it is certainly capable of it.

I am not sure why yours is so slow..
windowpain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
rnaodm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
maybe the ipod touch 4g has a wireless g reciever which as a max of 10Mb/s

Like how if you have a fast connection but and older wireless g router, your max wireless speed will only be 10m its just the hardware limitation

Edit: NM it has wireless N, Not sure then man sorry
rnaodm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod touch 5 wifi issue Tayko iPod touch 1 Jan 14, 2013 05:25 PM
How much could I possibly sell this iPod touch for...(Please read top body first) LOLZpersonok Buying Tips and Advice 1 Oct 4, 2012 11:28 PM
iPod Touch WiFi Logo pow012 iPod touch 3 Jun 9, 2012 02:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC