Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Reminisce32
macrumors member

What role does discrete graphics or the lack of it play in using iMovie and FCP?

I'm looking at a mid-level 2012 mac mini for video editing and I'm not sure if I will need discrete graphics. I'm new to mac so I want to see if iMovie can do what I need (basic edits of 5GB HD 1 hour long video files in either MPEG-2 TS Video (.TS), AVCHD Video (.M2TS), or MP4 Video(.MP4) formats).

Should I be concerned? What role does a GPU play in editing in iMovie? If the lack of discrete graphics slows things down, will it slow down importing, editing, exporting, or all?

Thanks.
Reminisce32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Penn Jennings
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisce32 View Post
I'm looking at a mid-level 2012 mac mini for video editing and I'm not sure if I will need discrete graphics. I'm new to mac so I want to see if iMovie can do what I need (basic edits of 5GB HD 1 hour long video files in either MPEG-2 TS Video (.TS), AVCHD Video (.M2TS), or MP4 Video(.MP4) formats).

Should I be concerned? What role does a GPU play in editing in iMovie? If the lack of discrete graphics slows things down, will it slow down importing, editing, exporting, or all?

Thanks.
I was waiting to see what responses you got from from people with a lot of experience in this area, sadly none so far. Anyway, A fast GPU should speed up rendering but considering you will have a quad core i7, your performance per dollar will be pretty good with a mini. If you are a paid professional, i.e time is money, you might want to think hard about a mini. Just my 2 cents.
Penn Jennings is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice