Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Dolorian
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Best way to root an International Galaxy S3 + install Jelly Bean on a Mac?

I was planning to wait for Jelly Bean to come out via my carrier update but it looks like it will definitely take a few more months to come out, so I would like to root my International S3 to install Jelly Bean (and also get the many benefits of rooting). Has anyone here done it? Is there a good article/tutorial available that shows how to do it on a Mac?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:10 AM   #2
towg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
I was planning to wait for Jelly Bean to come out via my carrier update but it looks like it will definitely take a few more months to come out, so I would like to root my International S3 to install Jelly Bean (and also get the many benefits of rooting). Has anyone here done it? Is there a good article/tutorial available that shows how to do it on a Mac?

Thanks in advance!
I rooted my i9300 (thats the international version) using this guide:

http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-ro...s3-on-mac-osx/

It was very straightforward and took around five minutes. After that you simply copy the chosen rom file and Gmail apps file to your device and install via Clockworkmod. Instructions can be found in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2OYIDuHV6M


I first installed Cyanogenmod Jellybean which was pretty fast and responsive. Its the most popular custom rom for the S3 and can be found here:

http://get.cm/?device=i9300&type=nightly

Theres also a barebones version of JB called SuperNexus which is worth seeking out if you want a minimal OS.
towg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Dolorian
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Thanks for the info and links towg!

I will check them out and root/install Jelly Bean following those steps later today.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Dolorian
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Success!

Rooted my S3 and intalled Cynamogenmod 10 with Jelly Bean! Need to load all my apps and set everything up. Good stuff, can't wait to have everything ready to mess around with it and Google Now!

Thanks again towg, the links were very helpful and easy to follow
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:39 AM   #5
towg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Success!

Rooted my S3 and intalled Cynamogenmod 10 with Jelly Bean! Need to load all my apps and set everything up. Good stuff, can't wait to have everything ready to mess around with it and Google Now!

Thanks again towg, the links were very helpful and easy to follow
No worries. Have fun experimenting!
towg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Dolorian
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Wow Jelly Bean sure has turned my Galaxy SIII into a beast:

Geekbench Score: 1822

Before in TouchWiz it was scoring around 1530. The phone feels much faster and it no longer has the annoying homescreen redraw bug that TouchWiz has. It has also made the phone work with the Android File Transfer app, didn't work before. Awesome.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Wow Jelly Bean sure has turned my Galaxy SIII into a beast:

Geekbench Score: 1822

Before in TouchWiz it was scoring around 1530. The phone feels much faster and it no longer has the annoying homescreen redraw bug that TouchWiz has. It has also made the phone work with the Android File Transfer app, didn't work before. Awesome.
I absolutely love AOSP ROMs (AOKP, CM9/10, Paranoid Android). I never used TouchWiz because I rooted and flashed PA from day one.

Android File Transfer doesn't always work with PA but is flawless with CM10.

What ROM are you using?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Dolorian
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
What ROM are you using?
I am using the latest CM10 nightly, available in the link posted by towg above.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:51 AM   #9
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
I am using the latest CM10 nightly, available in the link posted by towg above.
I switched from PA to CM10 a few days ago. It has come a long way since the days when there was a memory leak and now they also fixed wifi tethering
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Dolorian
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I switched from PA to CM10 a few days ago. It has come a long way since the days when there was a memory leak and now they also fixed wifi tethering
Nice This is the first time I've used it and my SIII is my first ever Android device. The CM10 has been working wonderfully so far, no lag, bugs or crashes, excellent performance, great battery life, can now use the Android File Transfer, Tethering is not spotty like it was in TouchWiz, etc.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3

Last edited by Dolorian; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
towg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Wow Jelly Bean sure has turned my Galaxy SIII into a beast:

Geekbench Score: 1822

Before in TouchWiz it was scoring around 1530. The phone feels much faster and it no longer has the annoying homescreen redraw bug that TouchWiz has. It has also made the phone work with the Android File Transfer app, didn't work before. Awesome.
Damn you - you beat me

1783

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1184089
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Dolorian
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by towg View Post
Hehe, well that's still an amazing score Is yours the international version with quad core like mine? It is quite fast. So far my experience with CM10 has been flawless, great stuff.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:15 PM   #13
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
So far my experience with CM10 has been flawless, great stuff.
I love the new CM File Manager! Looks and feels so much better than Root Explorer.

I can't wait to try CM on my future Nexus 4. Codeworkx already tweeted that he's going to be getting it but I mean it's a Nexus device so of course CM will be available for it
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:43 AM   #14
towg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Hehe, well that's still an amazing score Is yours the international version with quad core like mine? It is quite fast. So far my experience with CM10 has been flawless, great stuff.
Indeed it is the int version. I've got Supernexus which is a completely stripped down AOSP version of Jellybean. Thought it would be faster but alas no

Its still less than a quarter as fast as my Macbook though!
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:08 AM   #15
mankar4
macrumors 6502a
 
mankar4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
This thread might be convincing me to go gs3 for my next phone.
- How does CM 10 compare with the official jelly bean?
- I don't know much about android product cycles; would I be foolish to buy a gs3 at this point in time?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help on this.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:35 AM   #16
Dolorian
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
This thread might be convincing me to go gs3 for my next phone.
- How does CM 10 compare with the official jelly bean?
- I don't know much about android product cycles; would I be foolish to buy a gs3 at this point in time?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help on this.
I have not used the official Jelly Bean yet but as far as I know, the CM10 is the official Jelly Bean with some extra stuff put into it by the CM team. I think that you also don't get the direct updates from Google for it, so you need to wait for them to release their ROM to update after a new version of Android comes out.

As far as the S3 goes, if you can get your hands on an international version (quad core processor) then go for it as that version is more future proof than the US version with a dual core. Samsung is rumoured to present the S4 around March, yet considering how well the S3 is selling, it will likely be later than that. If I had to speculate it will be around May, a year after the S3 was first released.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:42 AM   #17
mankar4
macrumors 6502a
 
mankar4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
I have not used the official Jelly Bean yet but as far as I know, the CM10 is the official Jelly Bean with some extra stuff put into it by the CM team. I think that you also don't get the direct updates from Google for it, so you need to wait for them to release their ROM to update after a new version of Android comes out.

As far as the S3 goes, if you can get your hands on an international version (quad core processor) then go for it as that version is more future proof than the US version with a dual core. Samsung is rumoured to present the S4 around March, yet considering how well the S3 is selling, it will likely be later than that. If I had to speculate it will be around May, a year after the S3 was first released.
Thanks for your help.

I would but I do I understand correctly that the international version does not have LTE?
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:47 AM   #18
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
Thanks for your help.

I would but I do I understand correctly that the international version does not have LTE?
Yeah you're right it doesn't have LTE.

Edit: gsm arena says LTE is regional so I guess maybe it is available in some countries? I'm not really sure what it means and we don't have LTE in Ireland so I can't tell on mine http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i930...s_iii-4238.php

Last edited by 3bs; Nov 3, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:06 AM   #19
towg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
Thanks for your help.

I would but I do I understand correctly that the international version does not have LTE?
There is an international LTE version which has either already just been released in the UK or is about to be:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...view-50009151/
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:19 AM   #20
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by towg View Post
There is an international LTE version which has either already just been released in the UK or is about to be:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...view-50009151/
But the question is will it work in the US (frequency bands)? I'm assuming mankar4 is in the US.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:31 AM   #21
towg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
But the question is will it work in the US (frequency bands)? I'm assuming mankar4 is in the US.
The US version has LTE anyway...
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:06 AM   #22
mankar4
macrumors 6502a
 
mankar4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
But the question is will it work in the US (frequency bands)? I'm assuming mankar4 is in the US.
Yes, I'm in the US.

5 minutes of googling suggests it won't work in the US.

This site says the LTE is on the 1800 band
http://negrielectronics.com/samsung-...l#.UJUyY2l271E

Wikipedia shows that At&t and Verizon are on the 700, 2100, and 1700 bands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Anyone got any other info?
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:23 AM   #23
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by towg View Post
The US version has LTE anyway...
I am well aware of that but Evoken suggested that he get an international one because he thinks it will be more future proof.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:27 AM   #24
towg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I am well aware of that but Evoken suggested that he get an international one because he thinks it will be more future proof.
Its faster certainly...

Last edited by towg; Nov 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:40 AM   #25
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I am well aware of that but Evoken suggested that he get an international one because he thinks it will be more future proof.
Ehh its more of a wash. The snapdragon s4 has much faster cores though. There about the same with the snapdragon having a huge advantage in single and double threaded tasks. It also has 2gb of ram.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung confirms Galaxy S2 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean upgrade TacticalDesire Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Jan 8, 2013 11:50 PM
Jelly Bean for AT&T Galaxy SIII now available via Kies! ChrisTX Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 9 Dec 5, 2012 07:14 AM
phones: Android:Jelly Bean 4.2 out for Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 SlCKB0Y Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 47 Nov 15, 2012 10:34 AM
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 added to Apple’s patent fight Dolorian Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 0 Nov 6, 2012 05:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC