Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:06 AM   #201
jpadhiyar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ahmedabad, India
Well, everyone loves the Nexus 10 and still iPad is the way to go. Why? Did the article hinted at the one strong reason that could be causing the anomaly? the App sphere.
__________________
iGeeksBlog.Com
jpadhiyar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:25 AM   #202
Purant
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post
Well, everyone loves the Nexus 10 and still iPad is the way to go. Why? Did the article hinted at the one strong reason that could be causing the anomaly? the App sphere.
It depends on what you need...

It's the same argument that can be made for MacOSX vs Windows, only in reverse...
Purant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:24 AM   #203
Ryan John
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Those phone apps stretched on the 7" tabs will look awesome on a 10" tab
Ignorance is bliss
Ryan John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:41 AM   #204
kalsta
macrumors 65816
 
kalsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masputo14 View Post
I find it funny when a great product comes out and all people say on here is "Do we really need that many pixels??, who needs NFC, Even tho the Nexus10 has hdmi out, better screen, more capable OS, and is $100 cheaper the iPad is still the better option" Cant we give credit where credit is due??
Sure, we should give credit where credit is due… But do we really need that many pixels?? Serious question! If you can't see any pixelation when using Apple's Retina display, why do you need more? I can't see any reason other than to boast about specs—and that's probably the only reason they've done it. Marketing. While Apple's advertising is centred around the user experience, much of the competition focuses on specs—because that's where they're able to beat Apple.

Similarly, I hope Apple doesn't feel the pressure to go beyond 8MP with their cameras. For a consumer camera of this kind, it's simply unnecessary—nothing but a waste of storage space to store all those extra pixels.
kalsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:56 AM   #205
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post
Well, everyone loves the Nexus 10 and still iPad is the way to go. Why? Did the article hinted at the one strong reason that could be causing the anomaly? the App sphere.
If you look at Google Play now vs the way their app store looked a year ago, you'd see that remarkable strides have been made.

I agree that adding DRM to at least a tier of paid apps will make the store far more compelling to developers, and I think that's necessary to bring in the best of the best apps (although a number of really good ones already exist there).

That said, there is a lot more available there that the typical Apple user believes, and I say that as a typical Apple user going into this past summer. I bought the Nexus 7 on a lark - my brother was coming to visit, and I wanted a cool toy to show him. I figured what the hell, it's $200 and if I didn't like it I'd still be able to use it as a GPS. In the months since, I've been stunned by what I can get (paid and free) on Google Play. The depth and breadth isn't like the App Store, but it really is a very nice alternative. I don't think I'd ever want to go iOS-less, but now I also don't want to go Android-less either.

For me, having a 7" Android sandwiched in between the iPhone and iPad is ideal. The Nexus 10 appeals to me for similar reasons - I can't do on it what I can do on an iPad, but the reverse is true as well. I'd be far more likely to watch movies (stereo speakers!) or log into work's MS Remote Desktop over SSH on the Nexus, and far more likely to run other apps (fun or creative) on the iPad, and then back to the 10 for development (it is unspeakably cool to me that I can actually build Android apps on an Android device should I want). To me, it's not either/or. It's both.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Sure, we should give credit where credit is due… But do we really need that many pixels?? Serious question! If you can't see any pixelation when using Apple's Retina display, why do you need more? I can't see any reason other than to boast about specs—and that's probably the only reason they've done it. Marketing. While Apple's advertising is centred around the user experience, much of the competition focuses on specs—because that's where they're able to beat Apple.
Don't forget that Apple's marketing revolved almost solely around Retina displays for some time (and still does rely heavily on it), so they play the spec battle as well.

Higher resolution is always better if everything else remains the same (but it never does, since more pixel require more GPU, battery, etc). The improvements become increasingly invisible, and at some point they cease to pay off, but we've got a long way to go before improvements are invisible to the human eye.

All that said, I agree that the resolution difference between the iPad 4 and Nexus 10 isn't likely going to matter in most cases. The one I'd think it would most likely matter is in remote desktops - using a 2:1 reduction (each axis) would still result in better resolution for those desktops on the 10 as opposed to the 4, and that would be easily discernible.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:48 AM   #206
iLLUMI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Wait, what?

Okay, so I didn't read the full article, so maybe that's why I'm confused, but I'd imagine an Android tablet being a lot more capable of replacing a laptop than an iPad
Hi,
As per the highlighted text you quoted, the article is talking about "movies" not "laptops". Therefore, the iPad replaces the laptop as far as watching movies is concerned.
iLLUMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:57 AM   #207
theanimaster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.
You won't be saying that in 3-7 years when that rubbery back is a gooey mess. I've seen this happen in many rubbery-coated devices like the ol' Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and the Saitek Cyborg joystick.

That is ... if you haven't already sold your tablet within that time frame.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
If you look at Google Play now vs the way their app store looked a year ago, you'd see that remarkable strides have been made.

I agree that adding DRM to at least a tier of paid apps will make the store far more compelling to developers, and I think that's necessary to bring in the best of the best apps (although a number of really good ones already exist there).

That said, there is a lot more available there that the typical Apple user believes, and I say that as a typical Apple user going into this past summer. I bought the Nexus 7 on a lark - my brother was coming to visit, and I wanted a cool toy to show him. I figured what the hell, it's $200 and if I didn't like it I'd still be able to use it as a GPS. In the months since, I've been stunned by what I can get (paid and free) on Google Play. The depth and breadth isn't like the App Store, but it really is a very nice alternative. I don't think I'd ever want to go iOS-less, but now I also don't want to go Android-less either.

For me, having a 7" Android sandwiched in between the iPhone and iPad is ideal. The Nexus 10 appeals to me for similar reasons - I can't do on it what I can do on an iPad, but the reverse is true as well. I'd be far more likely to watch movies (stereo speakers!) or log into work's MS Remote Desktop over SSH on the Nexus, and far more likely to run other apps (fun or creative) on the iPad, and then back to the 10 for development (it is unspeakably cool to me that I can actually build Android apps on an Android device should I want). To me, it's not either/or. It's both.

----------


Don't forget that Apple's marketing revolved almost solely around Retina displays for some time (and still does rely heavily on it), so they play the spec battle as well.

Higher resolution is always better if everything else remains the same (but it never does, since more pixel require more GPU, battery, etc). The improvements become increasingly invisible, and at some point they cease to pay off, but we've got a long way to go before improvements are invisible to the human eye.

All that said, I agree that the resolution difference between the iPad 4 and Nexus 10 isn't likely going to matter in most cases. The one I'd think it would most likely matter is in remote desktops - using a 2:1 reduction (each axis) would still result in better resolution for those desktops on the 10 as opposed to the 4, and that would be easily discernible.

...and this is why fAndroids are wetting themselves over "Photo Sphere" when a similar 3rd party app was out on iOS over two years ago.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celf View Post
Pentile technology is used in some Samsung AMOLED screens, not the PLS LCD's.
I keep reading that as Penile. What an odd name.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaron View Post
The Nexus 7 is not a "relative" success, it's almost up to selling a million a month

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/...llion-a-month/

And while it is true that the so called eco-system is lacking, Google is making a lot of headway with affordably priced products. Think about it, $349 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 compared to a $649 16GB iPhone 5 is such a steal. Android is still developing itself, but is become better and better with each OS update, and it's only a matter of time before they are on par with iOS. I wish more tech companies would take the reasonably price route instead of following Apple's lead in the "premium" market.
I heard the same thing over three years ago.
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:23 AM   #208
Yvan256
macrumors 601
 
Yvan256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMLo View Post
Maybe you should tell that to the people who own Android tablets. Even with all of them out there, they account for less than 10% web traffic. Sounds like a good case that iOS devises are far more 'usable' - while still kicking ass in the looks department...
I was talking about the shell of the products, not the software they run. Big difference, as the web traffic numbers show as you say yourself.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:33 AM   #209
nia820
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
it's gorge but still not as sexy as the ipad.

now with the ipad mini and nexus im kinda of over the 10 inch tablet. my ipad 2 has been looking real chunky to me since nexus 7 came out.
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:45 AM   #210
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000
 
brdeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Sure, we should give credit where credit is due… But do we really need that many pixels?? Serious question! If you can't see any pixelation when using Apple's Retina display, why do you need more? I can't see any reason other than to boast about specs—and that's probably the only reason they've done it. Marketing. While Apple's advertising is centred around the user experience, much of the competition focuses on specs—because that's where they're able to beat Apple.

Similarly, I hope Apple doesn't feel the pressure to go beyond 8MP with their cameras. For a consumer camera of this kind, it's simply unnecessary—nothing but a waste of storage space to store all those extra pixels.
You probably never had an oportunity of taking a picture with Nokia N8 or 808. It's like using a real camera. Sometimes it's like taking pictures with a premium compact camera like a Panasonic LX series or Canon S90/100. It's not cheap CMOS-sensor pictures beautified in Instagram. I'm very disappointed with my Galaxy Note 8MP camera - there's nothing wrong with the MP count if it had a BIG sensor like in the Nokias.

About the retina marketing, I think the sharpness will increase and if it has a bigger contrast ratio you'll be able to read even smaller text in the screen thanks to a density increase in the display.
__________________
15" rMBP Early-2013, 2.4GHz. After 3 display replacements, I'm still seeing uniformity problems.
2009 Unibody White MacBook, 250GB 840 EVO SSD, 8GB
Mid-2010 MacMini, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, 16GB
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:51 AM   #211
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Google is selling these devices at cost. They are that desperate to get someone, anyone, to buy an Android tablet. Which makes your entire premise about reasonably priced products wrong. How many companies can stay in business selling something they make no money on.
In their desperation Google has killed their manufacturing art ears ability to make a profit. HTC has already pulled out of the tablet market.
The iPad 4 screen is better especially in color gamut.
The iPad 4 CPU and gpu beat the snot out of the Nexus 10 Go read the Anandtech performance review.
The 16 go iPhone 5 is $599 not $649. Most top tier Android phones are at least as much as an iPhone and in some cases more.
The Nexus 4 doesn't even have LTE, SIM card slot, or removable battery and it has a glass back. All things android kids said were so horrible about the iPhone. Google subsidizes the cost of these too.
Nexus 7 numbers reports shipped not sold btw. Apple only reports sold to actual people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaron View Post
The Nexus 7 is not a "relative" success, it's almost up to selling a million a month

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/10/...llion-a-month/

And while it is true that the so called eco-system is lacking, Google is making a lot of headway with affordably priced products. Think about it, $349 for an unlocked 16GB Nexus 4 compared to a $649 16GB iPhone 5 is such a steal. Android is still developing itself, but is become better and better with each OS update, and it's only a matter of time before they are on par with iOS. I wish more tech companies would take the reasonably price route instead of following Apple's lead in the "premium" market.


----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan John View Post
Ignorance is bliss
Someon should tell Google that. They are begging developers to write tablet apps for this very reason.

----------

iPhone 5 and therefore iPad 4 destroy the Nexus 4 and 10 in benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/g...exus-10-review

Compare the Nexus 7 and 10 screens to iPad 3 or 4. The Nexus look washed out with poor color gamut. You get what you pay for.
__________________
Mac user since 1984.
DarwinOSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #212
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post

Higher resolution is always better if everything else remains the same (but it never does, since more pixel require more GPU, battery, etc). The improvements become increasingly invisible, and at some point they cease to pay off, but we've got a long way to go before improvements are invisible to the human eye.
but isn't the term retina define the point where thing don't look any difference at higher resolution anymore? Our eye cannot distinguish any higher resolution. Some of interesting Iphone 5 review go into the display improvement that Apple make (44% color saturation) and compare it to S3 and the new HTC device. Once you got to the retina spec for a particular device, the battle for better display become an issue of accurate color reproduction, contrast etc.. It is a good marketing feature since it has number that make comparison easy but it don't not have any effect in day to day usage...
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #213
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinOSX View Post
Google is selling these devices at cost. They are that desperate to get someone, anyone, to buy an Android tablet. Which makes your entire premise about reasonably priced products wrong. How many companies can stay in business selling something they make no money on.
How can Asus' profits have risen (thanks in part to the Nexus 7) if they're losing on each one they sell?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/a...up-43-percent/

Quote:
Asustek has just painted a pretty Q3 financial picture, showing a 43 percent jump in net profits -- $230 million compared to $160 million last year, according to the WSJ. Gross revenue also climbed 9 percent to around $3.8 billion, which the company attributes to the popularity of its Google-partnered Nexus 7 tablet, along with convertibles like the Transformer Prime TF201 and a healthy notebook lineup.
Do you know something that Asus isn't sharing with us (or its investors)?
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 7
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #214
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinOSX View Post
Nexus 7 numbers reports shipped not sold btw. Apple only reports sold to actual people.
Why still using this argument? Do you really that they are in shelves month after month?

And regarding Apple reporting only final sales: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...7&postcount=14

Last edited by Oletros; Nov 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:06 AM   #215
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinOSX View Post
In their desperation Google has killed their manufacturing art ears ability to make a profit. HTC has already pulled out of the tablet market.
.
The Nexus 10 will kill Samsung entry into tablet market as well even though they are the one that produce it. I bet the reason that Nexus 10 doesn't have 64K model is because Samsung will release a 64K model at high price (the same reason that Nexus 4 produced by LG don't support LTE. LG will sell the same phone with LTE at a much higher price). That is the only way Samsung can make any money from their design effort other than the money they get from Google in designing and manufacturing the Nexus10 (I am sure Samsung subcontract the manufacturing part out.. but I cannot see Google has the expertise to handle all the logistics). But what is Samsung going to do in the next iteration. Nexus 10 (and Nexus 7) establish a very low price point that no Android maker can make money on. ASUS is having the same problem for 7 inches Android tablet. The current price point will very much stick to all Android 7 inches and 10 inches tablet. So the entire Android manufacturing base will die soon enough. The situation in Android tablet space now is if you do really well and sell a lot of your tablet with high end spec (i.e. 64K LTE model), you can make 0-5% profit, may be. But if you are stuck with selling a lot of the low end model, you end up losing 5-20% of your money depending on the manufacturing cost (which in term depend on volume) and whether you have to clearance (i.e. more price drop) to clear your inventory at the end of the cycle. It is not a very enticing situation.

Microsoft takes an entirely different approach in pricing Surface RT. The price may not generate a lot of headline. But their manufacturing partner will at least has a fighting chance in the marketing knowing that if their design work well, they will make money in their tablet.

Last edited by xofruitcake; Nov 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:20 AM   #216
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Why still using this argument? Do you really that they are in shelves month after month?
No. Apple typically has 4-8 weeks of inventory in the channel. And in Apple's case, if it go to the carrier, it is a sales since carrier will pay for the items and they will have to run their clearance if they don't sell all the Apple products that they carry. If the mechandize go to Apple store, it won't count as sell until a customer pay for the item.

So if you apply the same level of inventory to Nexus 7, when Asus said they shipped 600K, 700k an closed to a million unit in the last 3 months, you can argue that Nexus 7 sell through to customers range between 700k units to 1.4m units in the last 3 months. And I think that is the reason that Google does not want to disclose the actual sales number. If they have really banner sales number, they will want the world to know. Very much like Apple announce the sales number of Iphone and Ipad every quarter. The only company that want to hire their sales number are the one that don't do well..
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:23 AM   #217
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
The only company that want to hire their sales number are the one that don't do well..

Yes, that is the reason that Samsung doesn't release sales numbers, because they are bad

When there is an increase month after month, using the shipped argument is stupid.

And, I repeat, Apple also doen't release end sales, they release shipped units

Carriers only pay for Apple phones, they don't pay for Samsung or LG phones? Really?
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:18 PM   #218
linux2mac
macrumors 65816
 
linux2mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "City of Lakes", MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
No. Apple typically has 4-8 weeks of inventory in the channel. And in Apple's case, if it go to the carrier, it is a sales since carrier will pay for the items and they will have to run their clearance if they don't sell all the Apple products that they carry. If the mechandize go to Apple store, it won't count as sell until a customer pay for the item.

So if you apply the same level of inventory to Nexus 7, when Asus said they shipped 600K, 700k an closed to a million unit in the last 3 months, you can argue that Nexus 7 sell through to customers range between 700k units to 1.4m units in the last 3 months. And I think that is the reason that Google does not want to disclose the actual sales number. If they have really banner sales number, they will want the world to know. Very much like Apple announce the sales number of Iphone and Ipad every quarter. The only company that want to hire their sales number are the one that don't do well..
It's still impressive that Apple has made their fortune from a small number of product SKU's compared to Samsung's massive number of product SKU's. It shows where the quality really is - with Apple of course. The new iPads just owned the tablet category and put the crown further out of reach from the competition.

In the parlance of a tech colleague of mine, "iPad 4 smokes all the so-called "iPad killers." LOL!
__________________
Steve Ballmer Named Worst CEO 2012
"Without a doubt, Mr. Ballmer is the worst CEO of a large publicly traded American company today." (Forbes - May 2012)
linux2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:43 PM   #219
jsw
Moderator emeritus
 
jsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
but isn't the term retina define the point where thing don't look any difference at higher resolution anymore? Our eye cannot distinguish any higher resolution. Some of interesting Iphone 5 review go into the display improvement that Apple make (44% color saturation) and compare it to S3 and the new HTC device. Once you got to the retina spec for a particular device, the battle for better display become an issue of accurate color reproduction, contrast etc.. It is a good marketing feature since it has number that make comparison easy but it don't not have any effect in day to day usage...
I agree that for most people, Retina is fine enough, but there's certainly still room on the ~10" front for discernible improvement with higher resolutions. "Retina" is Apple's term using Apple's standard for how far away the display needs to be before the average person won't notice a change, but it's not literally the finest resolution the human eye can perceive. For most apps, images, movies, etc., there is no improvement with even finer resolutions, but with vector graphics and fine images, you'll see a difference between the iPad 4 and Nexus 10.

That said, I agree that color accuracy, contrast, brightness, etc. are at least as important, and that resolution is just part of the perceived image quality. Still, given how much Apple harped on the fantastic benefits of Retina, it's only fair to see them pushed back a bit.
__________________
You'll be the one moaning for me to give you some. - THC(taken out of context)
jsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:18 PM   #220
iMLo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
I was talking about the shell of the products, not the software they run. Big difference, as the web traffic numbers show as you say yourself.
You were saying that the rubbery back makes the device far more usable, and that the iPad's metal back made it less usable.

Perhaps that is true for you...if that's your preference then so be it, but its obvious that the iPad is plenty usable with its metal shell.
iMLo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:20 PM   #221
gpat
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMLo View Post
You were saying that the rubbery back makes the device far more usable, and that the iPad's metal back made it less usable.

Perhaps that is true for you...if that's your preference then so be it, but its obvious that the iPad is plenty usable with its metal shell.
"plenty usable" does not esclude that one can be more usable than the other.
Like screen resolution. Nobody cared until the iPhone 3GS because it was resolute enough, then the 4 came and everybody turned into a DPI game.
__________________
13" MBA 2013, Nexus 7 2013, LG G2 (oh noes i automatically become an apple hater)
(Sorry for bad english, not my mother tongue!)
gpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:36 PM   #222
tylernol
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbon View Post
"'Look how great Android tablets can be,' the company seems to be saying, 'if only you'd make great apps!'"

Maybe if the Android SDK didn't suck so bad, they would!
exactly. Developing for iOS is lovely, the frameworks are well thought out and I love Objective C. Java and the Android SDK are a mess.
tylernol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:40 PM   #223
iMLo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
"plenty usable" does not esclude that one can be more usable than the other.
Like screen resolution. Nobody cared until the iPhone 3GS because it was resolute enough, then the 4 came and everybody turned into a DPI game.
Yes. Plenty usable means it generates 90% of web traffic with fewer SKUs then Android devices...and since web traffic is a darn good representation of much a device is used, I say it's 'plenty usable'

My point was focused on the fact that another poster said that the rubbery back on Android devices made those devices more usable then the metal back on the iPad. Again, maybe that is his preference, but the numbers show that for most everyone else it's not the case.

To that posters point though I do get what you're saying about software. I guess you'd like to see an iPad with a rubbery back?
iMLo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:48 PM   #224
mehanika
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Send a message via Skype™ to mehanika
Deleted

Last edited by mehanika; Mar 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
mehanika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:06 PM   #225
kalsta
macrumors 65816
 
kalsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Don't forget that Apple's marketing revolved almost solely around Retina displays for some time (and still does rely heavily on it), so they play the spec battle as well.
But their main focus tends to be on usable benefits rather than raw numbers. For example, they tend to compare performance benchmarks in preference to quoting CPU speeds in MHz. Why do you suppose they came up with the 'Retina' marketing term? Was it not to try and make a connection between the numbers and the actual human experience? They were saying that when the Retina display is held at a usable distance, the pixels are indistinguishable to the human eye. So like I said, Apple's marketing tends to focus on the user experience. Whereas the competition often likes to list their raw specs alongside Apple's, the implication being that higher numbers make for a better device.

Quote:
Higher resolution is always better if everything else remains the same (but it never does, since more pixel require more GPU, battery, etc). The improvements become increasingly invisible, and at some point they cease to pay off, but we've got a long way to go before improvements are invisible to the human eye.
I think the benefit to increasing the resolution again would be so small (unnoticeable to the average user) that it just doesn't justify the effort. Someone mentioned being able to read even smaller type… Well okay, we could print tiny 3 point type today using solid inks and a printer capable of 2400 DPI—but what would be the point? Who would want to read it?

In the real world, iPad users aren't requiring or even asking for higher resolutions. Above a point, certain specs (like pixel density) aren't driven by need, but by the desire to have something that's better than someone else's.

Apple propagates the same desire by the way, through its own brand of marketing, which includes focusing on things like the appearance of the device, how thin it is, how beautiful it is, etc. Many of these things aren't really necessary either, but it drives the same desire to have the latest, greatest thing.
kalsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad mini, fourth generation iPad at The Gateway, Salt Lake City benhollberg iPad Launch Meetups 9 Nov 1, 2013 12:10 AM
iPad Mini and Fourth-Generation iPad Have Most Responsive Tablet Touch Screens MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 77 Oct 10, 2013 11:20 AM
Apple Hit with 'Planned Obsolescence' Lawsuit in Brazil over Fourth-Generation iPad MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 357 Feb 28, 2013 10:07 AM
Official iPad Mini and Fourth-Generation iPad Sales Begin in New Zealand MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 111 Nov 2, 2012 10:04 PM
iPad mini, fourth generation iPad at Fashion Place, Murray, Utah benhollberg iPad Launch Meetups 0 Oct 28, 2012 06:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC