Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
I don't think you can categorically attribute download speed to the SIM card. Speeds are affected by so many different factors.

OP, are you in a fringe area for LTE coverage? More importantly, have you been able to compare your signal strength with other iPhone 5s in your area?

I'm in a fringe AT&T LTE area and I consistently have bad coverage, maybe 2 bars of LTE signal if I'm lucky. The only way I was able to allay my worries was to drive to a local AT&T store and compare with other iPhone 5s, and talk to the reps about the local coverage. Instead of relying on chat maybe you should do the same.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Do you know what SIM stands for?

*waits for you to google it*

Ok. So how does it effect signal strength?

It doesn't.

If it did, I'm sure there'd be SIMGate by now. Maybe there was no antennagate, maybe it was all SIM related...

If you don't understand something don't pretend like you do (see how that works?)

My phone is still protecting me from tigers though! I swear! It's working!

Well it looks like you aren't open to learning even though I'm trying to teach you.

All I will say is that the sim can affect your signal greatly and you should know this.

----------

Exactly. You don't know the "technicals."

It's most definitely not the SIM. If it was, you'd have no service at all.

Something else is going on.

And by the way, if 2Mbps counts as your "Halloween nightmare," try being in my shoes: no data and barely any voice service at all thanks to Hurricane Sandy. Count your blessings, and work with AT&T to fix the problem. But it's not your SIM.

Well actually it's the SIM card affecting my signal. The SIM card can have a great affect on signal strength and this is widely known.

Anyway, good luck with the hurricane. I know it's been really rough northeast.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It's your bent iphone causing the problem, or perhaps the mean look you got from an Apple rep, or perhaps the scratches on the sim card, or perhaps your mother's imessages, or perhaps a bent sim and all the other oc threads by the op.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
It's possible they registered you into a data plan that did not access LTE,...

This above quote is where I'd start. If I recall correctly, AT&T's data plans have historically appeared as follows:

DataPro # GB for iPhone (for at least 3GS & 4 but maybe all iPhones prior to 4S)
DataPro # GB for iPhone 4S (to enable HSPA+ aka faux-G)

Now with the iPhone 5, there's a new one:

DataPro # GB for iPhone on 4G LTE

My wife recently upgraded her 3GS to a 4S and even though we hadn't yet made the data plan change (was still the first one listed above), the phone immediately displayed the "4G" notation in the status bar after putting her SIM (cut from her 3GS SIM) into the 4S. And no, the plan didn't change automagically; we had to contact AT&T to have it switched.

Right, and if I run multiple tests at differnet times/slightly different locations I get wildly different speeds too...

Is it my SIM???

Actually, maybe it is since the SIM itself is now operating in a different time/location (parallel universe??) than before! :eek:

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Well actually it does make a difference the 2nd sim gave me only 2 Mbps and the first only 5.

I don't know the technicals but trust it me it can make a huge difference.

Did the att guy have a mean tone in his voice when he told you this?

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Well it looks like you aren't open to learning even though I'm trying to teach you.

All I will say is that the sim can affect your signal greatly and you should know this.

----------

Well actually it's the SIM card affecting my signal. The SIM card can have a great affect on signal strength and this is widely known.

cite sources please

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
you could just have slow LTE in your area.........

Imagine that:D
No, it's the sims fault he thinks.
He used to get 5 and then he got 2mbps so it can't be the network or maybe heavy traffic on that tower:)

----------

It's your bent iphone causing the problem, or perhaps the mean look you got from an Apple rep, or perhaps the scratches on the sim card, or perhaps your mother's imessages, or perhaps a bent sim and all the other oc threads by the op.

Oh man, that's that same guy again?
Never mind then, it's gotta be the scuffs on his iPhone causing slow LTE data.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

The only affect it has is authenticating you to the network. With SIM cards, they either work fully, or not at all. There is no weaker/stronger signal strength associated with a SIM being good or bad. A SIM card isn't an antenna, nor is it a radio. It just stores information that the network uses to identify which account the phone is supposed to be drawing from.

There USED to be a time, back when networks were transitioning from 2G to 3G, that older SIMs with only 32K of storage would *sometimes* affect a customer's ability to access 3G. This was because they lacked the space to store the separate authentication app needed to get access to 3G. Some cell sites could work off the old data on the 2G app, but others couldn't. The fix was to get the old SIM swapped out for a 64K or larger "3G capable" SIM. But rather than describe all the tech details to users, AT&T (and other carriers) would simplify things by telling people they had "bad SIMs" that needed to be swapped out for newer ones.

Those days are long gone. But unfortunately this "bad SIM" explanation that oversimplified the problem back then, has now morphed into this continuing "widely known" myth that a weak signal or slow data speeds can be caused by having a "bad" SIM.

Yes, it's totally possible for someone to end up with a defective or damaged SIM. But if that were to happen, you'd get no service at all. Instead of slow data speeds or lesser bars, your phone would would read "No Service" or "Invalid SIM," and you wouldn't be able to do much of anything on it.

Thanks. Good luck solving your data issue. But I'm pretty sure that you're chasing a dead end with the bad SIM idea.

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Will someone please remove the "Start new thread" button for this guy. Seriously. His posts are becoming more and more ridiculous every day.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Do you know what SIM stands for?

*waits for you to google it*

Ok. So how does it effect signal strength?

It doesn't.

If it did, I'm sure there'd be SIMGate by now. Maybe there was no antennagate, maybe it was all SIM related...

If you don't understand something don't pretend like you do (see how that works?)

My phone is still protecting me from tigers though! I swear! It's working!

Ah your back. I second you again fine sir. I also still have not been attacked by tigers.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Well I've had my Halloween nightmare.

I've been having reception issues with my iPhone 5. Slow LTE etc.

So the AT&T chat guy he'd send me a new sim because even though it usually doesn't make a difference, it's worth a try.

After sending a regular sim instead of nano, it finally came today and I changed it out.

Low and behold, the new nano sim is giving TERRIBLE reception. 2 Mbps LTE!!!

So I get back with chat and they said I can't switch back to my old sim. After many hours going back forth

AND LOTS OF HASSLE...

My AT&T original nano sim is working again. Not great reception. About 5 Mbps LTE. But still better than 2!

Since your phone is bent, it must be causing problems for your reception.

Koziakauzu

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Well I've had my Halloween nightmare.

I've been having reception issues with my iPhone 5. Slow LTE etc.

So the AT&T chat guy he'd send me a new sim because even though it usually doesn't make a difference, it's worth a try.

After sending a regular sim instead of nano, it finally came today and I changed it out.

Low and behold, the new nano sim is giving TERRIBLE reception. 2 Mbps LTE!!!

So I get back with chat and they said I can't switch back to my old sim. After many hours going back forth

AND LOTS OF HASSLE...

My AT&T original nano sim is working again. Not great reception. About 5 Mbps LTE. But still better than 2!

SIM cards have NOTHING to do with reception, it's only an identification chip, to allow you to connect to the right network.
Walk few steps to find better antenna reception instead.

Topic closed.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
SIM cards have NOTHING to do with reception, it's only an identification chip, to allow you to connect to the right network.
Walk few steps to find better antenna reception instead.

Topic closed.

I didn't realize that Macrumors made people with only 7 posts moderators?

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
I dont know why the Mods continue to allow this madness to continue.
Its obvious what he's doing here and its starting to get old.
Another thread reported but nothing done.

Apparently, the OP has many issues related to his/her newly acquired iP5 . . . Some of which, I can understand the queries. However, some are quite obtuse. Nonetheless, some of the threads are a bit entertaining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.