Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
DavidLeigh
macrumors member

So what is up with Youtube and the HTML5 Trial Thing?

Hi,
I'm currently having something problems with Youtube on Safari. Actually i don't use another browser, so i don't know if this is a Safari issue. Most Youtube videos basically don't play and i get a black screen. Doing some search here, it seems it's to do with the HTML5 trial which i am currently in. So what is this? Why wasn't I told at all about it? I don't believe i touched any settings n Youtube.
DavidLeigh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeigh View Post
Hi,
I'm currently having something problems with Youtube on Safari. Actually i don't use another browser, so i don't know if this is a Safari issue. Most Youtube videos basically don't play and i get a black screen. Doing some search here, it seems it's to do with the HTML5 trial which i am currently in. So what is this? Why wasn't I told at all about it? I don't believe i touched any settings n Youtube.
Did this start to happen after the latest Safari update a couple days ago?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3
DavidLeigh
macrumors member

Actually no. It started yesterday (2nd Nov) and i can't say i noticed much before, though i probably wasn't using youtube much. And it definitely to do with Safari update 6.0.2 as i've only just installed that thinking it will fix the problem. However, i don't know if my mac installed anything automatically a few days ago.
DavidLeigh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Reimer
macrumors regular

HTML5 trial on youtube is essentially an alternative to using flash for playing back videos. It's an opt-in feature though so I don't know why your safari defaulted to using it.

Not sure why you're experiencing a black screen but sometimes rendering issues like this in browsers can be solved by simply clearing the cache. Maybe you have adblock installed?
Reimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5
chibisukee
macrumors newbie

I am in the html5 trial and most of my videos play.
I am using Safari 6.0.2 with flash player enabled - some videos play via html5 and some via flash player.

You can opt out here and see if it makes it better though.
chibisukee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:44 AM   #6
wabbit42
macrumors regular

I was having trouble with a few videos so I opted out and now all those videos ae working again, so just opt out .
wabbit42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro