Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darster

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Saw this on Cult Of Mac. You can check to see if your iPhone 5 is unlocked. According to this site when I punch in the number, it says my Verizon iPhone 5 is locked. I thought they were all unlocked.

http://www.imei.info/

darster

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
scroll down and read the comments, or look at the thread on here. It says all phones are locked.

If you go to this site too, it says my verizon iphone 5 is locked. A few weeks ago the site below showed that it was unlocked. Now these sites are showing that verizon iphones are locked. Something strange going on.
The problem is if you try to sell your phone as unlocked, and people punch in the imei on these sites, it will show as locked.

http://dev.mk/2012/08/dev-mk-iphone-imei-checker-with-simlock-status-what-happened/

darster

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
The problem with these sites is people to check to see if phone is unlocked. Makes it harder to sell iphone and convince the person that is buying it from you that it is unlocked.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
This is what I got when I went to the first site.

I have a Verizon 32GB white iP5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,723

darster

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Go to bottom underneath that image and click on "Free Simlock Status Check"

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
All verizon iPhone 5's are unlocked for any gsm carrier period.
Why would you even bother checking imei sites and such?
The announcement by verizon is not enough to convince you?

im convinced, i was just curious is all. dont hate.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I have found the IMEI checker that unlock_fusion to be the most relieable. I have tried 7 iPhones with it, all reported correctly, even the ones that had been unlocked by another services.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
All verizon iPhone 5's are unlocked for any gsm carrier period.
Why would you even bother checking imei sites and such?
The announcement by verizon is not enough to convince you?

Hmmm...

I really hope this is the case, and here is why.

I had to have AppleCare send me a new phone yesterday because the battery came unseated inside the phone. I'm on an American plan for the first time since 2004 (live overseas) and it's on Verizon.

The phone I originally had was unlocked to my delight, but the new one came in and required me to lock it to Verizon.

I have both phones in my possession right now so I want to see if the replacement phones are locked. That would be such a huge downer for me since I work overseas

I'm going to go check it out with my buddies sim card tomorrow and see if the new one is also locked.

**Just as side note, the new phone they sent me is way worse than the old one**

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hmmm...

I had to have AppleCare send me a new phone yesterday because the battery came unseated inside the phone. I'm on an American plan for the first time since 2004 (live overseas) and it's on Verizon.

The phone I originally had was unlocked to my delight, but the new one came in and required me to lock it to Verizon.

I have both phones in my possession right now so I want to see if the replacement phones are locked. That would be such a huge downer for me since I work overseas

I'm going to go check it out with my buddies sim card tomorrow and see if the new one is also locked.

Yes, once you select verizon as the carrier then the GSM side is officially unlocked.

luckyarcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
Hmmm...

Have a look at your model # (Settings>General>About), does it start with an N instead of an M? Those that start with an N have had the same prompt which also mentions "this cannot be undone". N models are classified as refurbs.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Have a look at your model # (Settings>General>About), does it start with an N instead of an M? Those that start with an N have had the same prompt which also mentions "this cannot be undone". N models are classified as refurbs.

Dammit - they sent me a refurb... mother trucker.

This sucks.

----------

Dammit - they sent me a refurb... mother trucker.

This sucks.

how would i go about talking to apple about this - 1) proving its a refurb and b) trying to get a diff one.

When I called Apple Support I specifically asked the rep if I was going to get a refurb or not, and he said "Absolutely not - I'm sending out a new one." Basically what I want now is to keep my first one and Apple to give me a year of AppleCare incase the first one does completely bite the bullet.

Would love other's thoughts on this.

It's a bit frustrating.

Cheers,
B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.