Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
mdecou
macrumors newbie

Outlook 2011 keeps showing welcome screen

I have just installed Office 2011 on a new Macbook Air, and Office continually shows the "Welcome to Outloo 2011" screen whenever the Outlook app is started. I have added an Exchange account, and it still shows.

In addition, every time I start the program, my inbox is sorted by Conversation. I have changed to "date received" and I have tried to save that as the default view, but it always reverts at the next start of the app.

This being installed on a brand-new installation of Mountail Lion.

Anyone see this before?
mdecou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:44 AM   #2
iThinksimple
macrumors member

i'm not Outlook 2011 user, but there's no option for disable 'welcome screen' ?
i've installed some app that have 'welcome screen' and also have option to disable it, like a little checkbox at the bottom welcome screen
iThinksimple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
DoctorCrap
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DoctorCrap
Use Mail

If you could, do not use Microsoft Outlook. I used it before and I got all these pointless errors. Try using Mail, similar functions to Microsoft Outlook and is much easier to handle and more user-friendly.
DoctorCrap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502

Try testing in a new Identity. No need to do any setup. Open and close the new Identity to see if the problems exists.

How to create a new Identity or switch to a new Identity in Outlook 2011

If this fails, testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Drag Outlook from Applications to the Dock to open. Do the same test.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files.
If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

If the problem is in your User's folder and it's not your Identity then most likely it's a corrupt .plst file in your User's Library/Preferences. Try deleting this file then log out/in and test.

com.microsoft.outlook.plist
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:15 AM   #5
pagrey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecou View Post
I have just installed Office 2011 on a new Macbook Air, and Office continually shows the "Welcome to Outloo 2011" screen whenever the Outlook app is started. I have added an Exchange account, and it still shows.

In addition, every time I start the program, my inbox is sorted by Conversation. I have changed to "date received" and I have tried to save that as the default view, but it always reverts at the next start of the app.

This being installed on a brand-new installation of Mountail Lion.

Anyone see this before?

mdecou

Did you get any further with this issue?

I've just hit exactly the same problem after also doing a clean Mountain Lion install.
pagrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:33 AM   #6
mcmillanb
macrumors newbie

Found a fix

I hit this issue as well and it was driving me crazy. I wish I could claim the credit for the fix but it was a colleague at work that helped:

--------

open finder, click on go > go to folder and type ~/Library/Preferences

close all applications

Move all files that are similar to com.microsoft.outlook.blah…. to your desktop

logout

log back in and open outlook

--------

The welcome screen poped up for me when I opened outlook the first time, I just pressed continue and then closed outlook again. When I reopened it, the pop up was gone.

Worked for me. Hope that helps.
mcmillanb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:30 PM   #7
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmillanb View Post
The welcome screen poped up for me when I opened outlook the first time, I just pressed continue and then closed outlook again. When I reopened it, the pop up was gone.
Some Welcome screens are partly off screen and users aren't seeing the Continue button. Move the window or resize display to see window.
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
snadowitz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmillanb View Post
I hit this issue as well and it was driving me crazy. I wish I could claim the credit for the fix but it was a colleague at work that helped:

--------

open finder, click on go > go to folder and type ~/Library/Preferences

close all applications

Move all files that are similar to com.microsoft.outlook.blah…. to your desktop

logout

log back in and open outlook

--------

Worked for me. Hope that helps.
This worked for me - brilliant. The ONLY thing that spoils my MAC is that I have to run this ****** Microsoft wanko software on it - MS Office is the ONLY program that ever hangs or crashes. Total and utter rubbish.
snadowitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store