Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
When you unlock your iPhone for global roaming on Verizon, is it tied to the phone number? Does anyone know what happens when that phone is deactivated? I was thinking of selling my phone and unlocking it for international use. If I call Verizon to unlock the phone and then sell it to someone, and they never reactivate it (they only use it internationally) would it have relocked? I'm sorry if this is a bit confusing.

Thanks!

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
No it won't be relocked after using it internationally and not activating it. Just change your Verizon phone and you are free to send this anywhere.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
When you unlock your iPhone for global roaming on Verizon, is it tied to the phone number? Does anyone know what happens when that phone is deactivated? I was thinking of selling my phone and unlocking it for international use. If I call Verizon to unlock the phone and then sell it to someone, and they never reactivate it (they only use it internationally) would it have relocked? I'm sorry if this is a bit confusing.

Thanks!

Call them up and have them unlock it for international use.
Then the buyer if he's outside the US will be able to activate it and use it with any gsm sim.
Doesnt matter if you deactivate your account or anything.
He will be fine.
It will not be relocked ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.