Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfcaj153

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Hi guys,

Just bought an iPod touch 5g 64gb last week then I suddenly noticed that it has a slightly loose home button. I compared it against my iPod touch 2g (which I've been using a lot for the past years) and my 2g's home button is more intact than my 5g.

I'm quite worried 'cause it might get worse. Do you guys noticed such? Or is it the 5g was really made that way. Comments are welcome. Thanks.

Jonaswq

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Hi guys,

Just bought an iPod touch 5g 64gb last week then I suddenly noticed that it has a slightly loose home button. I compared it against my iPod touch 2g (which I've been using a lot for the past years) and my 2g's home button is more intact than my 5g.

I'm quite worried 'cause it might get worse. Do you guys noticed such? Or is it the 5g was really made that way. Comments are welcome. Thanks.

My 32gb iPod touch 5g has the loose home button too. If I move left/right or up/down, there's this clicking sound. Not sure if this is normal or not.

I tried on my sister's iPod touch 2g, it has the clicking sound.

My previous iPod (4th gen) has no clicking sound at all.

Psycna

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
OMG! I just decided to buy an ipt5. So, Is that means all first part iPods produced with this issue?

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
OMG! I just decided to buy an ipt5. So, Is that means all first part iPods produced with this issue?

maybe, but you don't know if this is the actual design, which means other batches later will also have this issue

the home button is working perfectly though, we're just concerning that it will break someday, i guess it won't (hopefully)

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Sounds like a design flaw. Have any of you tried asking at an Apple store yet?

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I've owned an iPod Touch with a loose home button. It wasnt a big enough deal to me to exchange it. It didn't affect the functionality.

hfcaj153

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Sounds like a design flaw. Have any of you tried asking at an Apple store yet?

I've called Apple service center here in our place. They said they don't have a go signal yet on how to treat/accommodate iPod touch 5th gen issues. They said they'll call me once they have the green light.

I'll still go to Apple service center on Monday to see if they have developments.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks.

Jonaswq

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I've called Apple service center here in our place. They said they don't have a go signal yet on how to treat/accommodate iPod touch 5th gen issues. They said they'll call me once they have the green light.

I'll still go to Apple service center on Monday to see if they have developments.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks.

Does your ipod wifi antenna (black oval shape thing at back of your ipod) have any problems?

The right side of my ipod antenna seems higher than the left side. There's a tiny slope there?? And when I use a little force to push down the lower side, it went down a little. Don't know if this is only me or everyone has this too D;

Last edited:

wooddorf

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
I had my first 5th Gen warrantied at the Apple Store because it had a small dent and the Wi-Fi antenna area was pressed in. The replacement has a sunken in home button that feels loose and barely clicks. I can hardly tell when I'm pressing it.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if i was unhappy with the device and i was well within the 14 day return policy, i wouldn't hesitate to return that sucker.

Jonaswq

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I had my first 5th Gen warrantied at the Apple Store because it had a small dent and the Wi-Fi antenna area was pressed in. The replacement has a sunken in home button that feels loose and barely clicks. I can hardly tell when I'm pressing it.

OMG MINE TOO!!

My wifi antenna seemed uneven, like one side is higher and the other side is lower and it can be pressed in!!!

Does all the first patch ipod touch 5g like this!?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Wont hurt to notice apple regarding the loose button.

It also happened here where i live, many complained. I think it might be defect for first lot because so many people want to get them so they hurry in production. IFIXIT already opened them up and see the home button quite fragile compare older gen.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Not that it helps any, but i'm not suffering from either of these issues, got my 64gb one the first week it was out from my local apple store.

wooddorf

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009

I got another replacement that is perfect. Everything works great. #

emsss

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
My 32gb iPod touch 5g has the loose home button too. If I move left/right or up/down, there's this clicking sound. Not sure if this is normal or not.

heyy, the same thing happens to me too. bought new ipodt 5th 64gb few weeks ago and now the home button is giving me a headache. its very loose. my previous ipodt 4th dint have this issue. the home button worked fine and very intact.

i mean, the whole ipod thing's still working fine, but seriously this loose home button is a problem for me.

im going to an apple store right now to ask abt this. btw, i ve in china so i dont know what to expect, but i really hope they give me a good solution for this matter.....

hfcaj153

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Hi Guys,

Apple told me they would replace it. I'm waiting for the unit to come within this week.

To all those having the same issue, might as well take it to the nearest apple store in your location so that they can evaluate if it's for replacement.

Gibzokid

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
United Kingdom

Yeah mine too, with my new Ipod Touch 5g, if I even just tap the surface of the button with barely any pressure before I press it, it makes a weird clicking sound. The button works fine when it comes to functionality though but it can get irritating sometimes. I don't think that it is a big enough issue to send back to Apple for though.

rakadityas

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Does your ipod wifi antenna (black oval shape thing at back of your ipod) have any problems?

The right side of my ipod antenna seems higher than the left side. There's a tiny slope there?? And when I use a little force to push down the lower side, it went down a little. Don't know if this is only me or everyone has this too D;

Its different for me, the antenna on the left higher than the :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.