Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWanter

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
When I get my 27" iMac in January, I want to be able to listen to some tunes, take pictures, make videos ect. Will the iPod be a good choice as a camera..? I'm not a pro photographer but I want to take casual photos, such as on vacation or when something funny happens. It will be my first apple purchase along side the iMac, and I want to be able to enjoy it as much as possible. Also, do you think I require a case? Thanks! :D

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
As an aspiring photographer I would say the camera is ok. Given they have bundled effectively a camera strap with it, it's certainly being touted as a night out camera.
I am enjoying using it to take some fun pics of autumn with the camera + app as the weather where I am in the uk is grey, dark and horrid at the moment!
As an overall device, the iPod is fantastic. If you're likely to be taking it out on a lot of nights out then a case is a must. You'd need to weigh up whether taking a £300 device out is ok or a cheap £80 compact camera would make you feel more comfortable.
In terms of photo examples, keep your eye on Flickr. Once these things get more into the open hopefully the number of photos will increase on that site.

As far a holidays are concerned, the panorama option is very impressive, a very simple process I can see being used a lot.

As a complement to your iMac in general it's great, I would say buy one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 287

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
For normal, everyday use, the camera will succeed. It's only when you need to do some highly detailed macro shots. Some color sensitive shots, stuff in low light, high seed, speciality things that you cant expect of a cell phone camera.

It's quite decent. I spent some time at the beach today playing with the panorama feature:

IMG_0035-2.jpg

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Tried to take a more sensible one today, this shows up the point about about macro shots, the leaf veins aren't sharp, although the wind was blowing these leaves around like no ones business...
Note, i've pushed this through some processing in snapseed. I find the standard photos are washed out, so theres some saturation boost, white balance changes and sharpening applied, plus a crop.
If i ever see the sun again it'll be nice to try and see if it fares better not under dull grey british skies...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 277

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I find the cameras to be great for out door shots and have no issues with those.

Indoor is a lot better than the 4g, especially considering that you now have the ability to use the LED as a flash. One thing I've noticed though, when using the flash at about 3 - 4 feet away, details get overwhelmed and overshadowed by the flash. I took pictures of people at this range and at times, you couldn't really make out all of the facial features .

purplesaber

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
Can anyone compare the iPod Touch 5 camera with the iPhone 4S camera?

I used to have an iPhone 4S and liked the quality of the pictures very much. I have an Android phone now for work but the camera is not very good and I would like to have a pocketable iOS device to carry around with me. Debating the merits of a used Iphone 4S from eBay (no SIM, just to use as an iPod and camera) vs. new iPod 5 which are about the same price.

Since the camera is one of the more important features to me I'm very curious if anyone has experience with both iP4S and iPT5. Thanks for any feedback or advice!

MacWanter

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Yeah, I mean, I'm not only getting it for the camera. iOS apps are nice too. After all, I have a kindle fire already.

Scipod

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012

I used to have an iPhone 4S and liked the quality of the pictures very much. I have an Android phone now for work but the camera is not very good and I would like to have a pocketable iOS device to carry around with me. Debating the merits of a used Iphone 4S from eBay (no SIM, just to use as an iPod and camera) vs. new iPod 5 which are about the same price.

Since the camera is one of the more important features to me I'm very curious if anyone has experience with both iP4S and iPT5. Thanks for any feedback or advice!
The iPod touch camera is great and is right on par with the 4s camera IMO, get the touch though for a multitude of reasons; won't be used(brand new), thinner, option of colors and the lightning connector is great!

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Honestly I am not using my iPod Touch camera. If you want a decent camera, go out and spend your money on a decent camera instead. the ipod touch's main goal is a gaming device. What do you expect? a 20 megapixel camera?

shellben

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I'm pretty impressed with the camera. Granted, I haven't owned a point and shoot in a few years, and have never had a smartphone with a camera so I was pretty excited to get any kind of camera. But so far this one is not disappointing.

Took the obligatory "just got my iPod touch so lets go outside and take pics of the dog" shot with the Camera + app, with very minimal filtering.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 249

shellben

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Here's another that I took this morning. This one is more heavily edited - a few filters in Camera +, some blur effects/contrast/color editing in photoshop

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 263

Akoni 2011

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
I am pleased with my iPod touch 5.
If you realise this is not a digital camera, but a mediaplayer, the camera is not bad at all!
Here's a panorame i've made yesterday.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 260

Bokehfoto

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
love it but not really noticing much change when I switch to HDR mode

Last edited:

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
For normal, everyday use, the camera will succeed. It's only when you need to do some highly detailed macro shots. Some color sensitive shots, stuff in low light, high seed, speciality things that you cant expect of a cell phone camera.

It's quite decent. I spent some time at the beach today playing with the panorama feature:

That's either Huntington Beach or a beach that's an amazing clone.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a

I am curious about this as well. If the seller is reliable, etc. Can you put a sim back into it if you decide to go with a phone/data plan?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'd prefer using a normal camera, even one for $140 will take _better_ photos than this, but I have to admit the photos aren't half bad.

Cameras have more features, more memory, better quality pics, more easier to use, more durable...etc than an iPod Touch.

It should be fine though. Like I said, the pics look great. Just have to get used to it, I guess.
I am curious about this as well. If the seller is reliable, etc. Can you put a sim back into it if you decide to go with a phone/data plan?

Yeah ... depends.
If your sold a phone blocked by a carrier, then no, it won't work. Doesn't make the seller unreliable, exactly, if he advertised it that way. Additionally, not all carriers have a SIM so you have to see what kind of 4S you've ordered.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The iPod camera is good for a point-and-shoot. The lens is small, and there are no manual controls, but it should be OK in most cases. The lack of flash might be the only issue. There should be a Dock Connector flash accessory :D

EDIT: The new iPod touch (G5) has a flash. The older ones do not.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The iPod camera is good for a point-and-shoot. The lens is small, and there are no manual controls, but it should be OK in most cases. The lack of flash might be the only issue. There should be a Dock Connector flash accessory :D

Actually it has a flash! :)
5th-gen-iPod-touch-back.jpg

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I've been impressed that the shutter lag has been fairly minimal for a "camera phone". A lot of the time you want to pull it out of your pocket and snap quick, bearing in mind you can't fiddle with any settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.