Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Don't know if anyone knows this, but when you install this update yahoo is now the default search engine.

Dane_Ja

Not on my computers. Updated an iMac, a MacPro, a rMBP, 3 minis and a MBA and not one has now yahoo as default search engine.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
For the third time: Is this update only for Mountain Lion users or for 10.7 Lion users as well?

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
Safari 6.0.2 address/search bar behaviour:

Previously, the unified address/search bar removed the http:// or https:// part, put the focus on whatever came before the first forward slash, and greying out whatever that comes afterwards, i.e. forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=16220883

Now, with the updated version, whatever that comes after that first forward slash exists no more. Well not really. It's there, but hidden. You will see the whole address only if you click inside the address/search bar. Otherwise, all that you see now is forums.macrumors.com no matter on what page you are.

georgespeedo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
streaming video and audio

I lost the ability to stream Hulu, cbs, shows... wtf is going on.... also local streaming of radio audio.... come on guys.... fix it....

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
It's gotten WORSE for me!!! Aside from the fact that text STILL DISAPPEARS as you type it, now there are blocks of mis-rendered webpage elements that appear! Way to go Apple. Good f--- up.

----------

Previously, the unified address/search bar removed the http:// or https:// part, put the focus on whatever came before the first forward slash, and greying out whatever that comes afterwards, i.e. forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=16220883

Now, with the updated version, whatever that comes after that first forward slash exists no more. Well not really. It's there, but hidden. You will see the whole address only if you click inside the address/search bar. Otherwise, all that you see now is forums.macrumors.com no matter on what page you are.

Isn't like that with me, but I'm not surprised with the inconsistency. I bet others aren't getting the disappearing text but I still am!!

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Safari has started crashing on me when I click the new tab button sometimes. This only started happening after updating to 6.0.2.

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Mac PC = Pac?

I am about to buy my first Mac. I have an iPad, iPod, blablah, but never had a Mac computer and thought to give it a try. It's "a big try" for me considering it's average price -I don't want an entry level iMac-, but I am tired of the PCs constant problems and thought that maybe Apple was worth the money according to sooo many -and intense- comments from mac users.

I've been using PCs since the monochrome era, no HDD, no Windows... since the early days. It was fun in those years. Always learning, trying things, adapting, discovering, solving things... sure many of you know well what I mean. Now I am getting kind of old and I start to be real tired of error messages and the typical MS Windows crap. I neither have the time and energy to fine tune a Linux system. Now I just need a TOOL that does what I want it to do when I need it. I thought Power+Reliability=Mac until reading threads like this or after the problems and bugs I've experiencing in my iPad since I updated to iOS 6. My "new iPad" was smooth and perfect until I updated... just a few days before they showed up with their "new-new iPad"

So, what's going on with Apple? Is it becoming kind of an exclusive Microsoft since Mr Jobs left? Am I going to start dealing with error messages and problems after every update? Planned obsolescence? I need some light here.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Wrong. The whole address shows up fine here. And no Yahoo search change either.

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
I am about to buy my first Mac. I have an iPad, iPod, blablah, but never had a Mac computer and thought to give it a try. It's "a big try" for me considering it's average price -I don't want an entry level iMac-, but I am tired of the PCs constant problems and thought that maybe Apple was worth the money according to sooo many -and intense- comments from mac users.

I've been using PCs since the monochrome era, no HDD, no Windows... since the early days. It was fun in those years. Always learning, trying things, adapting, discovering, solving things... sure many of you know well what I mean. Now I am getting kind of old and I start to be real tired of error messages and the typical MS Windows crap. I neither have the time and energy to fine tune a Linux system. Now I just need a TOOL that does what I want it to do when I need it. I thought Power+Reliability=Mac until reading threads like this or after the problems and bugs I've experiencing in my iPad since I updated to iOS 6. My "new iPad" was smooth and perfect until I updated... just a few days before they showed up with their "new-new iPad"

So, what's going on with Apple? Is it becoming kind of an exclusive Microsoft since Mr Jobs left? Am I going to start dealing with error messages and problems after every update? Planned obsolescence? I need some light here.
well, sht happens.. even with apple. but in overall - its a good deal & you wont be dissapointed. just 2cnts

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
It's gotten WORSE for me!!! Aside from the fact that text STILL DISAPPEARS as you type it, now there are blocks of mis-rendered webpage elements that appear! Way to go Apple. Good f--- up.

----------

Isn't like that with me, but I'm not surprised with the inconsistency. I bet others aren't getting the disappearing text but I still am!!

I'll try installing it again!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

What is going on, is that you are reading complaints from the few people who have had issues, and thus felt the need to post. For every issue you read about on the internet there are many people who have NOT had any issues, and thus see no reason to post about it.

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
What is going on, is that you are reading complaints from the few people who have had issues, and thus felt the need to post. For every issue you read about on the internet there are many people who have NOT had any issues, and thus see no reason to post about it.

Yeah, you may be right, but I myself have had issues in my short experience with Apple while updating my "new" iPad twice in 4 months since i bought it. That's why the warning light. And some bugs are still unsolved in the 6.0.1 version I updated this morning (with error message included -again- at the end of the process). My expensive hardware does not work as smooth after updating, then they release the "new-new" iPad a few weeks later and now I read threads like this... Only a few users? Impossible to know. Don't bother to ask Apple.

It's like with my SGS2 phone. I have started thinking about an iphone exclusively because the Kies app works TERRIBLE since the very moment I started to use it. I definitely don't want that with a Mac or I will be feeling like... you know... after spending so much money.

You are right that for every complaint there must be lots of people enjoying their products, but also many who don't get to cry out loud or at least not in this site. Anyway, that's philosophy. I just need to know wether buying a Mac will save me from stupid tech problems every now and then.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I really wish Apple would reduce Safari's memory usage. At no point should "Safari Web Content" use up 1.99GB of RAM!!!

Not true. Depending on what that content is it might.

But if you mean it shouldn't jump from 300 mb to 1.99 GB with five tabs open in one window and none of them are streaming stuff like Pandora or Netflix, well I agree with that.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I've reset Safari and these updates still have done nothing to fix this quirk. At least I can say it hasn't been crashing like it used to.

uLsT8.jpg

Notice in the preview the whole page isn't displayed. Just a portion is rendered. This is abnormal. Not a big deal, but still...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, you may be right, but I myself have had issues in my short experience with Apple while updating my "new" iPad twice in 4 months since i bought it. That's why the warning light. And some bugs are still unsolved in the 6.0.1 version I updated this morning (with error message included -again- at the end of the process).

The guy that was responsible for the division that creates and QAs that software was fired last week. Make no mistake, no matter what all the blogs say, it was as much about this as his being an asswipe or the Maps issue. A number of folks on various sites said from the start that it felt like Forstall was getting carried away with the cute little touches and it seems they were correct. Too much time on unneeded cute and not enough in debugging. Apparently Forstall tried to put all the blame on Cook telling him no more field testing after the loss of the iPhone 4 and alleged loss of an iPhone 4S so Forstall didn't bother testing on at least those units much less a 5

----------

Scott never would've let this happen

Scott wasn't in charge of that division.

And he did things with his division that were just as nasty. Have you tried to update an iPhone 5 to iOS 6.0.1. Takes two passes cause Scott's not so awesome software is buggy and won't OTA install on a 5 without first updating the updates software.

Oops, looks like maybe Scott did let it happen, in his own way

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Whoa 6.02 Kind of Stinks

I can see why they pulled it. It seemed slower and I was getting the beach ball way more often than the previous version. I also gave it my 60 tab torture test and it did way worse than the older version.

I could not get the previous version back via Time Machine. I got an error saying it was a system resource or something like that. So I had to do a Recovery Disk re-install of the system to get it back. I'm testing it now.

Why do I fall for these updates when they are new. I guess I only have myself to blame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.