Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Reminisce32
macrumors member

What is my problem? It takes hours to import a video on mac but not pc?

Long story short: I use a PC. I want to use a Mac. The videos I want to edit are from a Happauge PVR and are recordings from video game footage on an Xbox 360. It allows me to save my recordings in either .TS, .M2TS, or .MP4.

I went to the Mac store and tested the .TS and MP4 on a mpb retina, imac, and mac mini. The only files iMovie could even recognize was the .mp4. On all the machines it estimated 2-5 hours to import the video file from the desk top into iMovie. The size of the files I need to edit are around 3.40 to 5 GB.

Why is it taking so long on the Mac? Is there any way to make it so it doesn't take forever to load such a file in a video editing software? My six year old laptop (Intel Core 2 CPU 1.66 GHz with 2 GB of memory) can load the video into Windows Movie Maker instantly. How is it possible that the Mac is struggling with this?

*I understand that FCP allows me to edit the file while it imports it, but we tried this and it still took WAY to long to import it.

*I have not tried handbrake to try to find a better file for iMovie to accept, but would this really solve my issue? It would probably take forever as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Reminisce32; Nov 3, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Reminisce32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video