Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
macuser1232
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
My Passport Edge for Mac

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase the My Passport Edge for Mac under $100 or an external drive similar to it for under $100. I've already tried ebay and I don't use amazon.

Thanks
__________________
Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, i5 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD ; 2 Gen 8 GB iPod Touch

Last edited by macuser1232; Nov 2, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
macuser1232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Jspring86
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase the My Passport Edge for Mac under $100 or an external drive similar to it for under $100. I've already tried ebay and I don't use amazon.

Thanks
You can get it from the WD online store for $94.99 if you use the checkout discount code WDCARES. That is the price before tax, but hopefully it is useful to you if you can't find it anywhere else. I bought one of these to use with my MBA and I really like it, very portable drive. Good luck!
__________________
Noteworthy devices: iMac 27" late 2013, 32 GB RAM; 15" rMBP mid-2012, Note 3 32 GB White Verizon, iPad Air 32 GB Space Grey Verizon, Nexus 7 (2013), HTC One(M8), Galaxy S5, OnePlus 64 GB.
Jspring86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
macuser1232
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspring86 View Post
You can get it from the WD online store for $94.99 if you use the checkout discount code WDCARES. That is the price before tax, but hopefully it is useful to you if you can't find it anywhere else. I bought one of these to use with my MBA and I really like it, very portable drive. Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah it looks to be the one of the best drives out there if I'm not mistaken.
__________________
Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, i5 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD ; 2 Gen 8 GB iPod Touch
macuser1232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Looks like Newegg has it. Newegg is reliable.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Isn't the standard My Passport 2TB USB3 drive more cost effective then the My Passport Edge 1TB drive?!

My Passport edge 500GB is around 100
My passport 2TB is around 180

Is go for the 2TB if you can save a little more?
The edge drive does look pretty sleek though
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
adonis3k
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
do these actually operate at USB 3.0 speeds and not 2.0? I need one around 2 or 3TB but not sure what to buy. Currently have a 1TB Seagate with Firewire but want something abit quicker.
adonis3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
They should do, yes.
I just picked up an external caddy and stuck the HDD from my MBP into it. Certainly get USB speeds through that!
I haven't tested the passport drives but they should be noticably nippier.
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:47 PM   #8
macuser1232
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
They should do, yes.
I just picked up an external caddy and stuck the HDD from my MBP into it. Certainly get USB speeds through that!
I haven't tested the passport drives but they should be noticably nippier.
Where is the best place to buy a caddy? Not for Mac. Just a regular HDD for PC. Because, I have about 6 hard drives that I have wiped and I could easily use them as external hard drives for my Mac after formatting them(I think).
__________________
Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, i5 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD ; 2 Gen 8 GB iPod Touch
macuser1232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:48 PM   #9
adonis3k
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
They should do, yes.
I just picked up an external caddy and stuck the HDD from my MBP into it. Certainly get USB speeds through that!
I haven't tested the passport drives but they should be noticably nippier.
haha just realised who you were, been watching your vids for awhile now

macuser1232, you can pick up loads on ebay, just make sure they can take your hard drives you have.
adonis3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
Where is the best place to buy a caddy? Not for Mac. Just a regular HDD for PC. Because, I have about 6 hard drives that I have wiped and I could easily use them as external hard drives for my Mac after formatting them(I think).
I purchased an 'Icy Box' from Amazon. Cost very little, but I get full USB3 speeds through it. I actually tested the HDD speed before I removed it from my MacBook, then tested the speed in the caddy, and got exactly the same - hence the bottleneck is the actual speed of the drive itself, rather then the interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis3k View Post
haha just realised who you were, been watching your vids for awhile now

macuser1232, you can pick up loads on ebay, just make sure they can take your hard drives you have.
Lol, cheers
Got a few more coming up this week......
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:12 PM   #11
adonis3k
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
Lol, cheers
Got a few more coming up this week......
Nice one

Im looking at a WD Portable 2TB drive, would a non mac formatted version give me USB 3.0 speeds as they seem to be about 30 cheaper than a mac version
__________________
Mac Mini 2012: i7 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 256GB 830, OEM 1TB HDD, Dell U2913WM
adonis3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis3k View Post
Nice one

Im looking at a WD Portable 2TB drive, would a non mac formatted version give me USB 3.0 speeds as they seem to be about 30 cheaper than a mac version
File transfer speed is based on the connecting interface and the drive speed itself. Go for the cheaper version (as long as its still USB3) and then simply reformat it for MAC once you receive it
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:38 PM   #13
macuser1232
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
File transfer speed is based on the connecting interface and the drive speed itself. Go for the cheaper version (as long as its still USB3) and then simply reformat it for MAC once you receive it
Does my drive have to be USB 3 compatible or just the caddy?
__________________
Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, i5 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD ; 2 Gen 8 GB iPod Touch
macuser1232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:22 AM   #14
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
Does my drive have to be USB 3 compatible or just the caddy?
Just the caddy.
Think of USB3 just being the pipe between the drive and your computer - a bigger pipe to allow more data to go through at any one time. The drive will just go as fast as it can to feed or retrieve that data.
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:17 AM   #15
macuser1232
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
Just the caddy.
Think of USB3 just being the pipe between the drive and your computer - a bigger pipe to allow more data to go through at any one time. The drive will just go as fast as it can to feed or retrieve that data.
Oh ok. So I'm assuming a caddy with usb 3.0 will be more expensive? And I hope they make caddies with both usb 2.0 and 3.0. Where's a good place to buy these? I'll go check out my external hard drives and find out the size of them.
__________________
Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, i5 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD ; 2 Gen 8 GB iPod Touch
macuser1232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:01 AM   #16
Ifti
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Not that much more expensive, if at all.

This is the one I use, although it was cheaper when I purchased it.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-231StU3-G...2044801&sr=8-8
__________________
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6GHz Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7GHz Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6GHz Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #17
macuser1232
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Well turns out the hard drives I have are only 40gb. I want to sell them but my only option is ebay probably.
__________________
Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, i5 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD ; 2 Gen 8 GB iPod Touch
macuser1232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to format WD My Passport drive for Mac? les24preludes Mac Peripherals 11 Dec 16, 2013 09:20 PM
WD My Passport for Mac AlphaBoy85 Mac Peripherals 11 Sep 12, 2013 03:17 PM
WD My Passport for Mac question mware13 Mac Peripherals 3 Sep 7, 2013 02:59 PM
Resolved: WD My Passport 1TB (For Mac vs normal) R3fr3sh Mac Peripherals 3 Aug 4, 2013 09:03 PM
WD My Passport vs Mac Version Question tgi Buying Tips and Advice 2 Jul 21, 2013 06:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC